Is SL Math Hard?

kevG

ok so i just finished ib1 and going to enter ib2 in a few weeks

i used to take hl math in ib1 and was predicted a 5

but i decided to drop right after getting my results on the last day...

the main reason i decided to drop was cause my test results varied a lot, they werent consistent and i was afraid i would endanger my diploma and getting into a good uni if i got a bad grade (the highest test result i got was a 7, the lowest was a 2- complex numbers lol) and the main reason i even took hl math was to test my skills and get some knowledge i guess

so yeah which leads me to my question, would it be hard to obtain a 7 in sl math with the same amount of work i did in hl? i still cant comprehend the level difference between sl and hl so if anyone could clarify that it would be great

Before IB, I was told by someone that getting a 7 in SL Math is easier than getting a 4 in HL Math. I don't know if that's exactly true, but HL Math is definitely one of the hardest classes IB offers. So, SL Math is less in-depth in each topic and covers fewer of them. If you already took HL Math for a year, you're probably in a good position to get a 7 in SL Math if you put in as much effort as you probably put in to HL Math, maybe a little more to be safe.

Take some practice tests yourself to figure out if you're on track to get a 7.

• Like 2

HL Math is on a whole different scale when in comparison to SL. If you want a 7 go to SL, but do remember that Math HL has a much greater sense of pride, and accomplishment embedded within it. Thus, a 5 at HL is looked upon with a much greater internal pride than a 7 SL. Although unis seem to perfer a 7 at SL Math according to my Math teacher. Anyhow, it's your call. If you need anything feel free to hit me up. 

• Like 1

I personally don't think SL maths is hard. If you do practice questions on a regular basis and pay attention in class, you should be able to do well. However don't just assume that you'll get a 7 in SL maths if you drop down from HL - a girl in my year group was getting 5s and 6s in HL maths for the first two terms and then dropped to SL and didn't get a 7 in the third term. If you maintain a good work ethic, you'll be fine and should be able to get a 6 or 7. 

• Like 1

It really depends on the type of person you are. Personally, I do Math SL and find it super challenging, whilst others might just have this natural sort of inclination towards mathematics. It really goes down to the type of person you are, as everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

If you've already surpassed half of the HL course, I don't see why you should be stopping now. Especially with the hard work you're putting in, I honestly feel like it'll all be put to waste if you end up doing SL. I believe you can still achieve well, and taking HL in the first place just shows that initiative and interest you have for the field of Math, this is also backed up by the fact that you have achieved 7s at some points in your course, proving that you are capable of it. In the end, it all goes down to you, but I'd say keep along with it and work hard, and practice on your weaker topics like complex numbers.

I know many people who do HL Maths and achieve 7s, it's not impossible at all. Thousands of candidates do and pass the HL course annually. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

another main reason i took hl math was for the pride, but i figured that it wasnt worth the hassle because it was hard for me to manage time with other subjects (and the course itself was a killer, i was like wtf to my teacher most of the time)  during my mocks

and i cant seem to concentrate for long periods of time so it might have to do with work ethic as well

a lot of uni's do prefer a higher grade in math, i guess some dont understand the ib well enough

i certainly did make some good memories during hl math tho, got a really good teacher and would love if he taught sl

life is suffering, i chose to suffer less i guess

Edited by kfernando1

yes i get you. but there is no much difference in hl and sl math only thing is that the hl math will be more deeper than sl. And sl is also hard but the concepts very easy, only place where people get stuck is that with the complex problems.But if u already survived one year HL math, SL math is a piece of cake for u now. 

ALL THE BEST.! :D

• 3 weeks later...