"Soft" subjects to avoid, according to universities

Vvi

I know economics isn't soft, but it's not usually listed among so called "traditional" subjects. I was wondering if I had to pick between it, history and geography, which would universities prefer? I'm thinking I'd enjoy history more, but I already have a GCSE in economics which would help me with the course? Any insight would be helpful :D

I know economics isn't soft, but it's not usually listed among so called "traditional" subjects. I was wondering if I had to pick between it, history and geography, which would universities prefer? I'm thinking I'd enjoy history more, but I already have a GCSE in economics which would help me with the course? Any insight would be helpful :D

This definitely depends on your course! If you're applying to read economics at a UK uni for example, they'd want you to have Math HL and Economics HL. On the other hand, clearly you'd want to have History for any history based subjects, Law, etc. 

I'd recommend you check out the course requirements first. If there are none, then do whichever subject you prefer - if you're interested in history, do that. A GCSE in economics is not much of a help, because the IB economics course is designed for people with no experience in economics anyway. I'd imagine the same is true for History (not sure about this though). 

If you're not decided on your course, or at least the general field, both Economics and History are very well respected subjects, and its hard to go wrong with either one. Not to say geography isn't, but I have zero knowledge about it, so I really am in no position to comment!

You might want to take a look at this: https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am taking history SL, biology HL, Business HL, English A literature, Chinese A literature and Math SL. English is not my native tongue.I was told at my school that visual arts and business are considered weak subjects, however art interests me more than history. I am considering switching history to art SL. Would the fact that I have two literatures help convince the universities?

I would really appreciate your help!

I am taking history SL, biology HL, Business HL, English A literature, Chinese A literature and Math SL. English is not my native tongue.I was told at my school that visual arts and business are considered weak subjects, however art interests me more than history. I am considering switching history to art SL. Would the fact that I have two literatures help convince the universities? I would really appreciate your help!

That depends entirely on what and where you want to study. For something arts-y, art would of course be beneficial, but if you're considering a something related to a social science degree in the UK it might be "looked down upon".

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

IB is hard, we all know it, and there's always the temptation to take subjects where it's easier to get a 7. I just base my switching of History HL to SL on that.

However, there are some subjects in the IB (and also A-Levels that aren't relevant to us) that are considered "soft" and as a result, universities like Cambridge and LSE have openly spelled out their attitudes towards them (not positive). Other selective universities do not accept them either.

This is the list of "soft" subjects that aren't recognized the same way as other IB subjects, according to http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoolgate/...a-level-s.html:

� Business and Management

� Design and Technology

� Information Technology in a Global Society

� Theatre Arts

� Visual Arts

These are links to specific criteria given by Cambridge (http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/index.html#matriculatio) and LSE (http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2009/howToApply.htm) on the subjects that they accept and don't accept.

This isn't to say that you WON'T get accepted by universities if you have one of these courses. For A-Level students, they still consider you if you have 2 subjects that are "traditionally" academic and one that isn't. However, maybe if you have 2 or 3 of these IB subjects for your diploma it might not necessarily be the best thing.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just though I would share this thread so that people, especially those starting IB1, are aware of the possible consequences of their choices.

What do you think of this list, and is it fair that these subjects don't receive equal recognition?

Personally, I don't take any of them. DT in my school is a big joke, the teacher makes them do no projects and for the exams it's just repetition of definitions (which according to the students that take DT is "soooo hard".) Not to be mean, but everyone in that class is part of the "non-academic group" that either has no future career plans or just doesn't want to "study hard" in Biology (these are real quotes).

Our school doesn't offer any of the other subjects except Visual Arts, which is obviously relevant if you want to study it in university. However, I have a friend applying to Oxford Medicine who takes art and I don't see why she takes it instead of Economics. Art does have a lot of coursework, and so I think it's unfair that people who put so much personal effort in get less recognition.

Friends elsewhere in the world who took the IT class mentioned also said that they did little work, and spent most of their time playing games on the computer. They took it for the "easy" 7 as well.

Business and Management has a similar parallel, Economics, so if you are thinking of studying B&M the Economics course would be the stronger option, with the added benefit that the syllabus is one of the few in high schools that includes an emphasis on development economics. Useful for International Relations, Development Studies, etc.

Well yes this is completely true, Business and management is not considered much by universities not only in UK but in many other countries.

What about ESS, is it a "soft subject"?

ESS is definitely a "soft" subject, and our school actually does warn students about this , but it is also true that it is taken by students who do not want take an experimental science subject. It might not always always be so bad

• 1 month later...

I'm only Pre-IB, but I planned on taking Visual Arts O.o I want to go into law, or journalism in UK, which either way, is B.A. in the end, right? So I'm guessing Visual Arts, over Chemistry (which is the only other option in my school) would be better for me.

You should definitely pick whatever subjects it is you're interested in. For law or journalism, English HL would be good. History, if you fancy it. I actually really recommend Economics HL since the underpinning of legal policy is economics!

Good luck