Which experimental science subject is less time consuming and easy to score a 7?

Shubham512

I want to pursue Economics at college, so my full concentration would be on mathematics hl and economics hl. But I have to choose a subject at sl level in experimental sciences and Im looking for a subject which requires a very less time and is easy to score. I am thinking of choosing bio sl , ess sl or computer science sl. I really love suggestions on other subjects as well. Thank you.

I only take bio out of the three you mentioned so I don't have experience of the other two. But from what I've heard, ess is really easy. I take HL bio as do all the others in my bio class so I don't know much about SL bio. But I'd expect that it's demanding and requires time to learn. At least more than ess for sure. HL bio is relatively difficult and you need to memorise a lot of things to do well in exams. So out of bio and ess, I recommend ess. I can't say much about computer science because our school doesn't offer it. 

I would recommend considering either Biology or ESS. ESS is a mix of everything and you can even take it in both groups: in Group 3 and in Group 4. Taking Computer Science is a good idea as well but I am not sure how easy it is. You might also want having a look at Design Technology although a lot of people find it quite boring. 

in sl you do two papers, paper 1 and 2

paper 1 is the normal stuff you did in class, theory, computational thinking etc

paper 2 is the extra option you do depending on your school

paper 1 has 4 topics (im too lazy to list them) but it goes like networks, memory management, computational thinking and systems

you can easily ace paper 1 but have to do some work with paper 2

also your ia, which is a bit hard and time consiming 

also remember that i do not know you as a person so cant judge whether you will be able to handle it or not, im just listing out my opinion on what i feel doing the course

some people find cs hard, some find it a breeze

in sl you do two papers, paper 1 and 2

paper 1 is the normal stuff you did in class, theory, computational thinking etc

paper 2 is the extra option you do depending on your school

paper 1 has 4 topics (im too lazy to list them) but it goes like networks, memory management, computational thinking and systems

you can easily ace paper 1 but have to do some work with paper 2

also your ia, which is a bit hard and time consiming

also remember that i do not know you as a person so cant judge whether you will be able to handle it or not, im just listing out my opinion on what i feel doing the course

some people find cs hard, some find it a breeze

Well, i should tell you that Im good im computers and programming stuff.. But Im also good in remembring things but remembring things

takes time.. So in practical I can do good.. But in as suggested previously that Ess sl doesnt have that much to learn and it comprises of only learning part. So i want to choose one of the two!

I only take bio out of the three you mentioned so I don't have experience of the other two. But from what I've heard, ess is really easy. I take HL bio as do all the others in my bio class so I don't know much about SL bio. But I'd expect that it's demanding and requires time to learn. At least more than ess for sure. HL bio is relatively difficult and you need to memorise a lot of things to do well in exams. So out of bio and ess, I recommend ess. I can't say much about computer science because our school doesn't offer it. 

As someone who has taken ESS, I don't quite agree. It's true that it is definitely easier than bio in terms of the stuff you actually have to know, but there is much more thinking involved in ESS :D  :D . In bio you can basically just memorize syllabus points and score a good grade, provided that you can answer one data-based question per paper that isn't based on prior knowledge. In ESS there is much more. You will be expected to learn everything from environmental ethics to energy sources and food chains AND you will be required to apply this knowledge in essay-type questions.

Granted, in bio you also have essay type questions, but the markscheme is usually structured in a way that someone who has merely memorized the syllabus will be able to answer them. That, and also if you look up statistics, you'll see that ESS actually has a very low percentage of students that get sevens. I would rather recommend bio.

I want to pursue Economics at college, so my full concentration would be on mathematics hl and economics hl. But I have to choose a subject at sl level in experimental sciences and Im looking for a subject which requires a very less time and is easy to score. I am thinking of choosing bio sl , ess sl or computer science sl. I really love suggestions on other subjects as well. Thank you.

Another thing you could do is take chemistry at sl if you think you have an aptitude for the subject. I thought it was the easiest of the sciences I took and there was very little stuff you had to use maths for in it. It is basically just introductory chemistry and you are familiarized with all aspects of general chem without going too deep.

As someone who has taken ESS, I don't quite agree. It's true that it is definitely easier than bio in terms of the stuff you actually have to know, but there is much more thinking involved in ESS :D  :D . In bio you can basically just memorize syllabus points and score a good grade, provided that you can answer one data-based question per paper that isn't based on prior knowledge. In ESS there is much more. You will be expected to learn everything from environmental ethics to energy sources and food chains AND you will be required to apply this knowledge in essay-type questions.

Granted, in bio you also have essay type questions, but the markscheme is usually structured in a way that someone who has merely memorized the syllabus will be able to answer them. That, and also if you look up statistics, you'll see that ESS actually has a very low percentage of students that get sevens. I would rather recommend bio.

That's an interesting point. I've just heard from my friends that it's simple and that their exams have been easy. But I guess it all depends on what type of learner you are and whether you're good at memorisation or application of knowledge.