Thoughts on HL Computer Science?

Elite X-Naut

Hey guys!

I will be starting the IB Program next year and I am taking HL Computer Science. I already did a computer science course in Grade 10 as an elective and I finished with the second-highest mark in the class (93%). My teacher is teaching an IB course for the first time and I am concerned about the grades. My goal is to get a 7 and I also have a few questions about the course:

How easy is it to get a 7?

Should I be preparing in any way and how?

How tough is the course?

What do you think about the course?

Thank you for the answers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, 

So, if you say you did well in Computer Science before you will probably do well in IB too (not sure though it depends on whether the previous computer science course was similar).

You can get a 7 you just have to study from the very beginning. Basically, with Computer Science about half the syllabus is theory and the other half programming. If you study and learn all of the theory (which anyone can do) you will be fine with that part. The programming part is hard on some people who have no experience at all but it is like Math if you understand the concepts and solve a lot of practice exercises you will be fine too.

You don't really have to do much to prepare but what I would recommend if you have the time to start on some programming (if you haven't done so already) just so that you are more familiar with it when you start the course.

It is not too tough it depends on what you are good at. If you like the theory better and are not good at programming half the course can be tough and the same applies to not liking theory. Overall, I would say that if you study well it's not a hard subject.

Personally, I got very lucky because I had been doing programming outside of school for years before and so by the time the course started I had covered all the programming syllabus and it was like having one less subject for a while but I really was bored by some of the theory sometimes. 

Finally, don't get worried about Computer Science it's one of the IB subjects that are not too hard and if you like Computer Science you will definitely enjoy it!