Math IA Topic

r134679852

Throughout July, I've send more than 10 different topics to my teacher and they all got rejected.. I'm not asking for a topic, just how to come up with a topic. The last time I emailed my teacher, we were heading towards the direction of voice recognition, language modelling - exploring the math behind the speech/voice recognition algorithm used by Siri, etc. After researching information about the topic for the past week, It involves programming and is too difficult for me to understand. 

Can you tell me how you found your topic? And how to tell if your topic is good enough?

Hello!

I decided to do my math IA/exploration on time dilation, because I enjoy it a lot, and I find time travelling really interesting. My advice would be that if you find that your topic has a strong connection to math, and if you enjoy exploring that topic, then it should be good enough. Don't try to do a topic that is very connected to math, but is boring to you. The IB will grade you on how interested you are in this topic, and such. Thus, you should be showing that.

Cheers,

-theswizzlerbruh

• Like 1

Hi!

If you think that mathematics behind the topic you chose is too difficult, do not go for it and do not risk your IA for that. Instead, can you think of something else that might interest you? When I was writing my IA, I struggled to choose the topic as well. At first, I wanted to calculate the probability that the humanity will go to hell but then I remembered that I am really interested in coding and, thus, I ended up doing my IA on cryptography (and I really enjoyed that, plus it was the greatest IA I have ever written in my life). 

Have you tried opening your textbook and going through a content page? Maybe something will catch your eye... A lot of people do their IAs on mathematics in various games. Is there any chance that might interest you?

If nothing comes to mind, I suggest looking at this link: http://ibmathsresources.com/maths-ia-maths-exploration-topics/

They have plenty of ideas and it is a great source for inspiration.

And here are the samples of students' IAs: http://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group5/d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1/html/content/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql@doc=d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e∂=2&chapter=2.html

Good luck!

Edited by Fiona
  • Like 1

How I came up with my math IA: One of the proofs is too algebraic and it didn't make intuitive sense so I tried to explore that.
How I came up with my math EE: a diagram in geo textbook was really fascinating and I thought it could be used in many other areas. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 8/16/2015 at 2:52 PM, Fiona said:

Hi!

If you think that mathematics behind the topic you chose is too difficult, do not go for it and do not risk your IA for that. Instead, can you think of something else that might interest you? When I was writing my IA, I struggled to choose the topic as well. At first, I wanted to calculate the probability that the humanity will go to hell but then I remembered that I am really interested in coding and, thus, I ended up doing my IA on cryptography (and I really enjoyed that, plus it was the greatest IA I have ever written in my life). 

Have you tried opening your textbook and going through a content page? Maybe something will catch your eye... A lot of people do their IAs on mathematics in various games. Is there any chance that might interest you?

If nothing comes to mind, I suggest looking at this link: http://ibmathsresources.com/maths-ia-maths-exploration-topics/

They have plenty of ideas and it is a great source for inspiration.

And here are the samples of students' IAs: http://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group5/d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1/html/content/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql@doc=d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e∂=2&chapter=2.html

Good luck!

Hi!
i was wondering how would you calculate the probability of humanity going to hell? I really liked the idea but just can’t figure out how u would calculate that.

On 8/16/2015 at 6:26 PM, r134679852 said:

Throughout July, I've send more than 10 different topics to my teacher and they all got rejected.. I'm not asking for a topic, just how to come up with a topic. The last time I emailed my teacher, we were heading towards the direction of voice recognition, language modelling - exploring the math behind the speech/voice recognition algorithm used by Siri, etc. After researching information about the topic for the past week, It involves programming and is too difficult for me to understand. 

Can you tell me how you found your topic? And how to tell if your topic is good enough?

first of all, u need to look at the syllabus ur studying. Choose a topic u feel comfortable with which means that u understand how to use and apply to different situations. Then find something interesting to choose as this would be ur personal engagement. Ur topic will come based on the unit of the syllabus chosen and depending whether it's a mathematical investigation or Modeling. The more steps and work shown, with good analysis, the better. Good Luck.