mac117

Hello again!

So, I went to a check-up yesterday and the optician told me my eyesight has worsened quite a lot since December 2014, from -0.75 to -1.75 and -0.5 astigmatism on my left eye. It probably isn't that bad, I know people have it worse (I feel really sorry for the blind ones).

Eyesight is something really, really important in our lives. And specially when we're at school, when we have to look at the board and take notes and actually be able to see what it says there. For quite some time I denied the fact that I need glasses and (I'm ashamed to admit it) I actually copied the notes from my classmates after the lesson ended, as I wasn't able to see what it said there on the powerpoint. Kind of embarassing. Also, wasn't really good for my studies, as my grades dropped simply because I haven't had the notes that would suit me (everyone takes notes differently after all).

Recieving my first glasses at the age of 15 made me realise that many other people wear them since they were small and they don't complain, and so shouldn't I. Right now (thank God) glasses aren't particulary a thing that people make fun of in higher grades, yet I still feel kind of self-concious when wearing them.

So, to my fellow people from the bad-eyesight kingdom. For how long have you worn your glasses? Does your prescription also change everytime you go to the optician? Has it somehow affected your studies in negative or positive way (other than actually being able to see the board  :lol: ). Or maybe you prefer to wear contacts because they're more convinient? Share your experiences.

I'm kind of interested how many people actually wear glasses on this forum. IB and all that definitely doesn't help your eyes to rest.

I've also heard about a bionic lense which can give you a 3x better eyesight than that of a normal human! Here are some links about it:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/06/19/the-8-minute-surgery-that-will-give-you-superhuman-vision-forever/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ocumetics-bionic-lens-could-give-you-vision-3x-better-than-20-20-1.3078257

Pretty interesting stuff!

• Like 1

Hi! I have just gotten glasses for nearsightedness, though my vision has been terrible for much longer. I've gotten by, but never really saw things. I can say that they've made my life much much easier, and I feel pretty cool wearing them. While I can't answer questions about getting my prescription changed, I can say that glasses have made life more enjoyable because I'm not spending most of my time squinting to see things, which is something I had to do for a solid amount of time beforehand. 

Eyesight is something really, really important in our lives. And specially when we're at school, when we have to look at the board and take notes and actually be able to see what it says there. For quite some time I denied the fact that I need glasses and (I'm ashamed to admit it) I actually copied the notes from my classmates after the lesson ended, as I wasn't able to see what it said there on the powerpoint. Kind of embarassing. Also, wasn't really good for my studies, as my grades dropped simply because I haven't had the notes that would suit me (everyone takes notes differently after all).

Yeah, this was basically me although my grades didn't drop because I picked notes up verbally from what the teacher was saying. Eventually I came to terms with needing them and I wish I had gotten them sooner. 

I hope your eyes don't get any worse for now. Unfortunately you can almost guarantee you eyesight will worsen at some point with age- unless, of course, you get those bionic lenses, which I think are super cool.

I'm near-sighted. I've had to wear glasses since I was 8 years old (I'm 21 now). I don't know what my prescription is, but I cannot see anything clearly if it is further than arm's length away (anything closer than that is fine for me to see without glasses).

When I was growing up my prescription would change all the time, but now that I'm older it's leveled out and hasn't changed much. It has worsened recently because I work in front of a computer all day, but I haven't gotten a new prescription yet.

It was a pretty quick transition from not needing glasses to definitely needing glasses. I just went to school one day and could no longer see what was on the board, I couldn't read signs, etc. The definite "you need glasses" moment was when I was at a sporting event and couldn't make out any of the numbers of the enormous sign on the opposite end of the field.

I don't mind wearing glasses, especially since I've spent more time wearing them than not wearing them. Plus glasses come in lots of cool colors and styles, so you don't have to look like a total loser if you have them.

It's kinda depressing thinking about how much vision I've lost. I'm nearsighted as well, I think -1.5 on each eye. I know I'm supposed to be wearing glasses all the time now, but I only use them when I need them :( I've been wearing glasses for about 3 years I think. It hasn't gotten too much worse since then. I have two sets of normal glasses, and had to get prescripted ballistic eyewear for my training exercises. Glasses do come in a lot of cool styles nowadays but I still think they're just really inconvenient. I ran a Tough Mudder last weekend without them-t would have been disastrous if I was wearing them; I don't know what contacts feel like but I'd really just rather go without anything.

I feel a little bit more alert when I'm wearing glasses too. But I still think they're a huge bother. If my eyesight deteriorates even more, I'm considering laser eye surgery.

Well I have awful eyesight. My left eye is a -6 and my right is a -5.5. I've had glasses for like 9 years now. Initially I hated em myself, but now I'm like bleh. I'm like 99.99% sure I'm gutting a laser surgery and I've tried contacts too. My eyes are super sensitive so monthly disposables did not work, but I recently tried daily disposables and they felt good (though too expensive for everyday wear).

So it's not that bad man, just chill and you'll be fine with glasses

• 3 weeks later...

My most recent measurements told me I am really near-sighted. Not a shock, given my long history, but it's about -8.25 on each eye. For those of you who have no clue what this actually mean - I MIGHT be able to see something clearly if it's a short finger-length away from my eyes without my glasses. It has become worse and worse for each time I've visited the optician - ever since I first went and checked it all when I was 7 or thereabouts (should probably have had glasses long before that though). For reference, I turned 21 this year. It's always surprising to me how well I can see with new glasses - it's as if the world comes alive again after having been in a hibernation for months. It's amazing! 

I have always worn glasses, and I'm pretty comfortable wearing them. There are some pretty stylish and high-quality glasses out there if you don't go for the cheapest there is, so find someone that fits your face and style of fashion, and you'll be fine. It might take a while to figure out exactly what suits you, though, so next time do take your time when choosing. Also, have a look at the different types of lenses available. Thick lenses aren't that cool, but the days where those were necessary are thankfully over. They have a lot of different types of lenses, and you can get them rather thin even with my eyesight. 

I was definitely a bit embarrassed when I first started wearing glasses in primary school, but it's one of those things you're very conscious about for a little while, and then forget about it. I have these habits of correcting my glasses and all quite often, and now I find myself doing those things even if I'm not wearing them for some reason (the optician tightening the screws or whatever) :P

For me, wearing glasses haven't really affected my life that much. Yeah, it's something extra to keep in mind when you play sports and sometimes you need to clean them, but they're just there. In a way, they've become a part of me. I've never considered contact lenses nor am I considering eye surgery. I've found a couple of glasses I am happy with, and that's good. As for whether it has impacted my studies... Hard to tell, I only had one year of schooling without glasses, most of the time during which I didn't really see the blackboard. The only annoying thing is if the screws are loose and you have an exam. In that case, they'll slowly slide off your nose all the time, and that is quite annoying. I'd suggest you get a hold of one of those small screwdrivers meant for glasses - your local optician should have one of those. That'll make all those issues go away.

Obviously, with my eyesight, the glasses don't come cheap in a country like Norway, so it comes with a considerable cost. However, I see it as a relatively long-term investment in my life quality (I would technically be blind without them!), and when my eyesight hopefully stabilises (which it is supposed to happen between the age of 20 and 25 according to my optician), it's probable cheaper in the long run than buying contact lenses all the time (if it isn't already). That is particularly the case if you buy the glasses in a bit cheaper countries than Norway - as I did last time. In fact, the difference was so much that it's cheaper for me to fly halfway round the globe, buy the glasses there and fly back again than to actually buy them in Norway. Strange that.. 

I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old.

I kind of got over being self conscious about wearing them, although I did experience that when I was younger. I still experience it every now and then. But I'm very thankful for the invention of glasses, cuz honestly my eyesight is pretty darn bad, and I would literally not be able to function normally without them. So they are a very important aspect of my life.

I do wear lenses sometimes, mainly for special occasions. Because honestly, I do look better without glasses, so yeah. But I dont wear lenses the entire time because they cause irritation and a plethora of eye problems when worn overtime. And taking care of your eyes and lenses as a lenses wearer can be quite time consuming, and also needs you to be super duper hygienic in order to prevent infections and other problems from occurring.

I'm interested to know though, does wearing glasses over many years make your eyesight better or worse or does it not influence it at all?

I've heard this doctor saying that wearing glasses all the time can actually contribute to worsening your eyesight, because your eyes are not exercised. He was basically saying that this is because your eyes would be rested all the time, since the glasses would have to do all the work for you. So your eyes get lazy or something. They get used to the glasses, so the longer you wear them, the harder it is for you to see without them.

And from my personal experience, I did notice a worsening in my own eyesight over the years. And it does get harder for me to see without them, the longer I wear them and the more consistently I wear them as well. So what he said was right in my case. It might be different from person to person though.

Edited by Nadsxo2