Hi! So I really need help with choosing what HL and SL courses to take.

I'm definitely taking HL English Literature, HL History, HL Spanish Language and Literature, SL Biology, and Math Studies (SL). I think I'm quite good at French, so I was thinking of taking French B HL too, but I'm afraid 4 HL courses will be too much to handle.

I've been getting 6's and 7's in all of my courses, and would really like to get into my dream school (which happens to be an Ivy League school). I intend to focus on the Humanities. I chose Math Studies because I'm not very good at math and taking SL Math would have taken away time from studying for my other demanding courses, but I'm afraid that universities will think I was being lazy when I chose Math Studies instead of SL Math. I was thinking that taking 4 HLs could help me compensate, in a way, for that. What do you think?

3 HLs are bad enough, save yourself from the trouble of 4 HLs, unless you really need to. You do not need to 'compensate' for your Maths Studies. You chose it because you probably didn't need it for your course since it wasn't a prerequisite, otherwise you wouldn't have dropped Maths. Even if, say, you did need Maths SL, you can't compensate for it with a Language B HL.

You're free to do whatever you want, but there's honestly no necessity for that. You'd want to focus on getting better scores on your 3 HLs.

• Like 1

If you are aiming for an Ivy League School, I think Maths Studies would definitely be a drawback. You could at least start by taking Maths SL and see how it goes before you move down.

As for the 4 HL, I think you shouldn't take it if its for the sake of compensating your Maths Studies since 4 HL may lead to a decrease in your overall score, which is a problem itself.

Hope this helped!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You don't really need 4 Hl's unless you really want to impress university people. 3 HL's is completely fine and more than enough, in my opinion. 

I'll have to argue against this. In university application, they dont really care about you having four HL or three HL, what matters is the "RAW SCORE". A guy scored 40 with 3 HL is always better than one who got 35 with 4HL, in terms of acceptance that is.