How's this for an IA? Biology

IBsurvivor98

Im in currently in a distressing situation as my previous IA experiment failed on me halfway and now I desperately need new IA topic. I came up with the following:

How does the length of a carbohydrate affect respiration in yeast?

Basically I would take different types of sugars eg. glucose, fructose, maltose, sucrose etc. And use them as a source for yeast to respire with. I would then calculate the amount of carbon dioxide buildup

Dependant: Volume of carbon dioxide released

Independent : Type of sugar corresponding to carbohydrate chain. eg. glucose for monosaccharide, sucrose for disaccharide

Questions:

- Is this too simple an IA? Because essentially, I either measure froth as it is a proxy of carbon dioxide buildup, or I check the bubble buildup

- Should I add more factors? eg. What conditions are most favourable for yeast fermentation ( temperature, type of sugar, ph level ) essentially adding more independent variables.

but for different types of carbohydrate, length is not the only difference among them. They are also very different in terms of structure (number of branches, alpha/beta glucose, and so on) , which really also determines the result. I am not 100% sure though, it is better to ask your teacher. :)

I think you have a grasp of formulating an IA research question, but maybe more researches are needed. ( some of them might have the same length, yet different respiration rate. ) Just a thing that you might need to consider :P

see ya. :)

Edited by Guest

but for different types of carbohydrate, length is not the only difference among them. They are also very different in terms of structure (number of branches, alpha/beta glucose, and so on) , which really also determines the result. I am not 100% sure though, it is better to ask your teacher. :)

I think you have a grasp of formulating an IA research question, but maybe more researches are needed. ( some of them might have the same length, yet different respiration rate. ) Just a thing that you might need to consider :P

What if I do - What types of sugars are most favourable to the respiration of yeast? 

What if I do - What types of sugars are most favourable to the respiration of yeast? 

Yes, I think it is quite a common one. I mean, glucose is obviously the most favorable, whereas starch is gonna be the least favorable. I would say the topic would work, but I cannot tell whether it is a good topic or not.

I have seen projects like that before, so you can go for it. :) But make sure your teacher is also fond of it, otherwise she might mark you down. 

Yes, I think it is quite a common one. I mean, glucose is obviously the most favorable, whereas starch is gonna be the least favorable. I would say the topic would work, but I cannot tell whether it is a good topic or not.

I have seen projects like that before, so you can go for it. :) But make sure your teacher is also fond of it, otherwise she might mark you down. 

Do you think that it is too simple though? I could talk about glycosidic linkages and the sugar's conformation right?

Do you think that it is too simple though? I could talk about glycosidic linkages and the sugar's conformation right?

Hey Timmy, I personally think it's good since you could also talk about the various linkages with the things in..

I don't think it is a really simple one, but it is definitely really achievable. And overall, as long as you have a decent plan for your experiment and enough data for you to analyse, you will be fine :D