Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
poweroverwhelming

Is it possible for me to get a 7 in French SL?

Hello,

I did poorly in Grade 10 French (roughly an 82), and I'd like to get a 7 in IB. French has never been my weak point and I've always felt like a weak student in it. Do you guys think its possible for me to get a 7 by the end of IB or at least get 95+ this first year of IB? Or am I "too far behind"? 

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Of course! If you work on the areas you've had trouble with in the past and put in the extra effort in IB1, you should be fine. Talking to your teacher about your progress and what you can improve on would also help. :)

I find that a lot of people thrive in the IB languages environment as opposed to that of year 10 and below. At my school, our class is literally just one big conversation, no English allowed. As a result, our oral skills have significantly improved. Additionally, whilst the written work is generally at a higher level (particularly if you're aiming for a 7), you find that you improve tenfold just by doing the written tasks your French teacher sets you. For example, my French teacher makes us write a 400 word minimum paragraph every week, just so that we can practice our grammar and vocab. When writing these tasks, you find yourself searching new words in French you've never used before, and whilst you do that, you rapidly expand your vocab and become more and more fluent. Possible to get a 7? Absolutely. I finished year 10 on 76% (but that's because I didn't put in much effort in the previous years) and I've been getting straight 7s since day one of IB French SL. I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if you have a fantastic and supportive teacher :)

You can definitely get a 7 in French SL. French in IB isn't as difficult because as long as you know what's required of you, you will get a good grade. The most important thing is to know some advanced grammar (like conditional, subjunctive, plus-que-parfait, etc), know idioms, a range of vocabulary, and be able to speak in French for a certain amount of time. You can practice speaking at home even if you don't speak French as your mother tongue by recording yourself speaking about a topic of your choice in French or reading aloud (for pronunciation practice).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0