My predicted grades for IB Year 1

Enter

Hello.

I am currently on the verge of panick with the IB, it's crazy. I'm really stressed (well at least for now) and today my HE careers co-ordinators have discussed references and personal statements applications etc. So I spent time looking at the requirements for the subjects I'm interested in.

Law is primarily my main goal, I've always aimed for this but seeing my current predicted grades now (after my mocks) I don't feel like I can achieve them as they seem to be ridiculously unrealistic.

My predicted grades at the start of IB Year 1 are:

English A: Lit and Lang HL: 6 

Business Management HL: 7

Chinese B HL: 6

Environmental Systems and Societies: 5

Math Studies SL: 4

Music SL: 6

Total: 34 points (TOK NOT INCLUDED)

After a few months... these grades have dropped. Business is due to my teacher leaving, replacing her with another IB Business teacher and I swear he hates my guts alright.

As of now (before summer) my predicted grades are:

English A: Lit and Lang HL: 3/4

Business Management HL: 4

Chinese B HL: 5

Environmental Systems and Societies: 4

Math Studies SL: 4

Music SL: 4/5

Total: 25 points (TOK NOT INCLUDED)

So if you compare my previous start of the year grades with the grades I'm currently getting now, you can clearly see why I'm stressed. Like literally. Stressed.

And so, to improve myself I'm currently working hard on getting the EE, TOK and other coursework related tasks out of the way so I can revise properly. I've already completed my EE in 3 days and handed it in to my supervisor for marking 1 week before the deadline and I have a month to edit it. So that helps I guess. 

What should I do? I really need a score range of 34-38 to get into the course I want and my options are limited as I can't go overseas from my home country (simply can't afford)

Some tips and motivational advice would help.

Thanks!

Make the number 34.  Make it good-looking, because you're going to stick it up on the wall, where you can see it from your desk.  Print out a picture of the university/ies you want to go to and stick them up, too.  The best motivation is thinking about where you'll be if you can get these marks, and knowing how badly you want it.  That will give you the energy to keep studying!  

In terms of actual improvement advice, all I can say is listen in class, take notes, and pay attention now because you will regret it if you don't later! Stay on top of study and do a little bit every night.  Make sure you have study guides ready to go for all your subjects by the time exams roll around.  Go to your teachers if you need help or want something explained more clearly.  Also, make sure you prioritise: work out what is the easiest way to raise your marks and prioritise assignments accordingly.  For example, a piece of homework should not come before an assignment which counts towards your final exams! Maths homework is a bit different, because that's part of the "do some every night" rule which is super important with maths.

Good luck! If you're determined and diligent, you have a great chance, considering your predicted grades.  The potential is there :)

• Like 1

Honestly, I had this same issue. Okay, not exactly the same, but my grades slipped by about 10% in most subjects, which hit me really hard. Firstly, I'd suggest think about why it happened. Did you procrastinate more? Did you get distracted? Were you working yourself too hard? I know exactly why my grades dropped, and since then I'm (mostly) working my ass off to prevent a repeat.

Next, prioritise and don't spend too much time on one thing. You might really be struggling with Environmental Studies or Maths, but spending five hours straight on it will do nothing - it'll just end up hurting your other subjects. I recommend taking 25 minutes study sessions, and doing one subject in each session, with a five minute break in the middle. Then, after you've done each subject, take a 15-30 minute break and repeat with whatever time you have left. Therefore, you'll cover all subjects and not go overboard - you'll work smart and efficiently. However, if you really need to concentrate on a subject, try to either do it on weekends or, again, minimise the amount of time you spent on it. Don't give yourself forever to do an assessment/revise for a test - efficiency is better.

If you're seriously unable to understand something ask someone. Sometimes your textbook or Google fail you, sometimes it's best to ask a friend or your teacher. Often they can explain it in language that makes more sense to you. Then, go explain it to someone else! Teaching others is often the best way to learn it for yourself!

Honestly, I'd say, don't concentrate on what number you want to get. Go for the maximum. I've never understood the point in restricting yourself by going 'at least __'. Put in the hard work, and I'm sure you'll do extremely well. I could go on, but I'm procrastinating on History at the moment, which I really shouldn't. I might add some stuff later if this helped ^^

Honestly, I'd say, don't concentrate on what number you want to get. Go for the maximum. I've never understood the point in restricting yourself by going 'at least __'. Put in the hard work, and I'm sure you'll do extremely well. 

True, it is possible to go for the maximum, but in the majority of cases, that is with the knowledge that you probably won't get it.  I'm doing exactly that, and if you do, you need to also set some kind of goal that you'll be "happy with" (I notice you've done the same thing in your signature).  I aim for a 45 standard, but I'll be happy if I get 42.  In the OP's case, scoring a 45 probably isn't viable, which won't do much for their motivation, and is why I suggested a different number.  If it's achievable, it's more likely to give drive to do well, especially if that number is associated with a uni course.

Also, your suggestions about not overworking and being efficient are excellent! That is advice I will use myself, as well.  Thankyou :D

Edited by azara

Honestly, I had this same issue. Okay, not exactly the same, but my grades slipped by about 10% in most subjects, which hit me really hard. Firstly, I'd suggest think about why it happened. Did you procrastinate more? Did you get distracted? Were you working yourself too hard? I know exactly why my grades dropped, and since then I'm (mostly) working my ass off to prevent a repeat.

Next, prioritise and don't spend too much time on one thing. You might really be struggling with Environmental Studies or Maths, but spending five hours straight on it will do nothing - it'll just end up hurting your other subjects. I recommend taking 25 minutes study sessions, and doing one subject in each session, with a five minute break in the middle. Then, after you've done each subject, take a 15-30 minute break and repeat with whatever time you have left. Therefore, you'll cover all subjects and not go overboard - you'll work smart and efficiently. However, if you really need to concentrate on a subject, try to either do it on weekends or, again, minimise the amount of time you spent on it. Don't give yourself forever to do an assessment/revise for a test - efficiency is better.

If you're seriously unable to understand something ask someone. Sometimes your textbook or Google fail you, sometimes it's best to ask a friend or your teacher. Often they can explain it in language that makes more sense to you. Then, go explain it to someone else! Teaching others is often the best way to learn it for yourself!

Honestly, I'd say, don't concentrate on what number you want to get. Go for the maximum. I've never understood the point in restricting yourself by going 'at least __'. Put in the hard work, and I'm sure you'll do extremely well. I could go on, but I'm procrastinating on History at the moment, which I really shouldn't. I might add some stuff later if this helped ^^

Thank you for your reply, it's very reassuring and motivating.

The problem here now is that I'm in year 2, I'm worried that it'll be almost impossible to raise my grades again back to the optimal level as I had before..

Honestly, I'd say, don't concentrate on what number you want to get. Go for the maximum. I've never understood the point in restricting yourself by going 'at least __'. Put in the hard work, and I'm sure you'll do extremely well. 

True, it is possible to go for the maximum, but in the majority of cases, that is with the knowledge that you probably won't get it.  I'm doing exactly that, and if you do, you need to also set some kind of goal that you'll be "happy with" (I notice you've done the same thing in your signature).  I aim for a 45 standard, but I'll be happy if I get 42.  In the OP's case, scoring a 45 probably isn't viable, which won't do much for their motivation, and is why I suggested a different number.  If it's achievable, it's more likely to give drive to do well, especially if that number is associated with a uni course.

Also, your suggestions about not overworking and being efficient are excellent! That is advice I will use myself, as well.  Thankyou :D

I can totally see where you're coming from, I just have this thing for going, "I might as well aim for the top as opposed to somewhere lower." It's not the best for my self-esteem when I fail to achieve that goal (and it's probably better to aim a bit lower so you're self-esteem jumps up) but as they say (okay, well, my favourite book series says) "aim high incase you fall short". That resonates a lot with me. Also the fact that so many people go "it's so difficult" makes me want to get it just so I can go, "Ha." Yes, childishly enough, spite plays a major role in this. Whoops.  :P

I'm glad you like them! Hopefully they help!

The problem here now is that I'm in year 2, I'm worried that it'll be almost impossible to raise my grades again back to the optimal level as I had before..

Well, you've got seven months - I think that's a reasonable amount of time to bring your grades back up. Just think, if I, a major procrastinator, am able to get my grades back up, then you can too! It's just about focusing yourself and restricting your procrastination. Try to make sure you don't have a lot going on by working through IAs and such as soon as possible if you haven't already, and ensuring you spend a while each day on each subject.

Also, make sure you don't have too many extra-curricular's going on! I know my grades dropped because I had one free lunchtime a week, three free morning teas, and I had no extra-curricular after school on only... two days. Plus, I was exercising and all, so basically I had no time for myself and thus resorted to procrastinating to get that free time, and spending nights awake trying to relax. Pretty much, it sucked. I mean, I did it so that 90% of my CAS would be done in the first year (I have like my CAS project and one major to complete) but it really impacted my grades. Hence, try to avoid spending too much time on those.

I'd suggest focusing on particular problem areas too. Go through the syllabus and tick through it about what you understand and don't, without any revision. If you can talk to yourself about it for two to three minutes and it's not an incoherent mess, move on. You know it, when you're revising, you'll probably be able to glance through it, recall it, and then ace the tests. Do practice tests too! They're the best way to learn how to answer questions like IB wants to. Even if the syllabus has recently changed (like for the Sciences) use old papers, no matter how old, because in the end, they can't change it that much.

You can do it! Just (a) work hard and (b) believe in yourself and your capabilities! Often you know more than you think! Good luck - I'll be your personal cheerleader if you want  :D

I can totally see where you're coming from, I just have this thing for going, "I might as well aim for the top as opposed to somewhere lower." It's not the best for my self-esteem when I fail to achieve that goal (and it's probably better to aim a bit lower so you're self-esteem jumps up) but as they say (okay, well, my favourite book series says) "aim high incase you fall short". That resonates a lot with me. Also the fact that so many people go "it's so difficult" makes me want to get it just so I can go, "Ha." Yes, childishly enough, spite plays a major role in this. Whoops.  :P

I'm glad you like them! Hopefully they help!

Well, you've got seven months - I think that's a reasonable amount of time to bring your grades back up. Just think, if I, a major procrastinator, am able to get my grades back up, then you can too! It's just about focusing yourself and restricting your procrastination. Try to make sure you don't have a lot going on by working through IAs and such as soon as possible if you haven't already, and ensuring you spend a while each day on each subject.

Also, make sure you don't have too many extra-curricular's going on! I know my grades dropped because I had one free lunchtime a week, three free morning teas, and I had no extra-curricular after school on only... two days. Plus, I was exercising and all, so basically I had no time for myself and thus resorted to procrastinating to get that free time, and spending nights awake trying to relax. Pretty much, it sucked. I mean, I did it so that 90% of my CAS would be done in the first year (I have like my CAS project and one major to complete) but it really impacted my grades. Hence, try to avoid spending too much time on those.

I'd suggest focusing on particular problem areas too. Go through the syllabus and tick through it about what you understand and don't, without any revision. If you can talk to yourself about it for two to three minutes and it's not an incoherent mess, move on. You know it, when you're revising, you'll probably be able to glance through it, recall it, and then ace the tests. Do practice tests too! They're the best way to learn how to answer questions like IB wants to. Even if the syllabus has recently changed (like for the Sciences) use old papers, no matter how old, because in the end, they can't change it that much.

You can do it! Just (a) work hard and (b) believe in yourself and your capabilities! Often you know more than you think! Good luck - I'll be your personal cheerleader if you want  :D

Thanks for offering to be my personal cheerleader! It helps a lot ^_^

What I'm worried most is.. how do I apply to university with my current grades... (aka the grades before summer 2015).. my school told us that our predicted finalisations will be made on September the 24th.. if that's true and they give me a 25 total predicted (tok not included) I can't apply for the unis then can't I? I know I can do so much better in the finals.. but what if I can't apply to anything? The HE/FE co-ordinators are all going "if you're getting a 30 and that course's minimal requirement is a 35 then you can just forget it".

That's literally the most stressful thing of all..

First try to relax, don't worry about your predicted for now. There are always other options. It might seem like the you are getting pushed into a corner but try to relax and concentrate on your upcoming exams (which is in less than 8 months now). It isn't the end of your life.

Ace your exams and prove your teachers wrong, take a gap year and apply with your final grades which will be objective and won't change. Some unis also say that students who took a gap year would be preferred over students who just graduated. You will have more time and more confidently tackle your universities.

First try to relax, don't worry about your predicted for now. There are always other options. It might seem like the you are getting pushed into a corner but try to relax and concentrate on your upcoming exams (which is in less than 8 months now). It isn't the end of your life.

Ace your exams and prove your teachers wrong, take a gap year and apply with your final grades which will be objective and won't change. Some unis also say that students who took a gap year would be preferred over students who just graduated. You will have more time and more confidently tackle your universities.

Thanks for your reply!

Another problem here is that I'm a repeat year student. This is actually 3 years of IB for me and I really won't be keen on taking a gap year.

I'm struggling to write my personal statement right now as I want to apply for law in a local university, but my grades are no where near appealing to them so I won't even bother. Now I'm writing my personal statement to apply for english as an arts and hoping to change or transfer to studying law at some point (if I even get into unversity that is). This is really stressing me out. I've spent this year's summer doing an internship at a law firm so that will boost my personal statement slightly but I just feel like a complete failure really. I've wasted the money on the repeat and I've made no progress myself and I'm just really beating myself up at this point..

Edited by Enter

why did you repeat?

I took a subject that I knew nothing about, and I knew I was going to fail that subject. So I took a repeat and re-chose 3 new subjects. Basically repeated half of my course with 3 subjects of new material. I'm happy that I'm not failing a single subject. Just don't have enough for me to get to university in where I am that's all. 

It was my fault that I didn't change immediately after she walked in and said "I'm new to this".

Also, I had no motivation to do well by then I was really lazy, I'd literally game in every single lesson, spend time on social media, you name it. I had no sense of urgency or how serious this is to my future.

Edited by Enter