I'm afraid of failing my IB because of my Economics teacher

Hello everyone, 

This is my first post here and to be honest at this point I am just desperate. I'm in my final IB year and in Economics HL and everything has been going fine however my econ teacher is atrocious. He firstly doesn't seem to know what he is talking about and he does not teach us properly so we wouldn't know regardless. 

We are helping each other a lot in our class and working by studying from the books because otherwise we wouldn't be able to learn anything but still most of us feel like there is so so much we don't know. However this year when he decided that we have to start our IA's (duh) firstly he wasn't here for more than two weeks and he also would not give us any valuable help. We only had some youtube videos and links he left for us. 

My problem is that I cannot trust any of his feedback as a student on my IA's or trust his predicted grade, especially because of the fact that he told a colleague of mine that his EE in economics is great but when he went to the IB coordinator to check it he found out it actually had a lot of issues. 

I am not very good at studying on my own or with others and I have no one to ask for help in terms of my IA as he's the only economics teacher in the school. Exams are approaching and I am actually very afraid of what that is going to bring as almost all of his classes are having a lot of trouble with economics. What would be the best approach in this case, do you know maybe any online courses or have any tips for how to cope with no support from class? 

You should probably talk to your IB coordinator, and get the entire class to back you, so you can get a new teacher. My friends did that, and in like two months they got a new teacher because they were so persistent. Some teachers are just not commited enough to teach in the IB Programme, and if you do this in a rational way I cannot see why your IB coordinator would not try their hardest to do something about it.

At this point I will recommend you to take private or online tutoring. Even I'm in the same condition, at least your school has a teacher My school don't even have a teacher. So now I have a private tutor who teaches me privately. So if you interested in taking online courses checkout this website http://www.econdaddy.com/ 

GOOD LUCK :) 

• 1 month later...

I really relate to this. It's too late in my year to switch teachers, but half of the year has a great University level lecturer teaching them, and we have someone who has no prior teaching experience and can't teach for jack.

My best tips would definitely be to take a lot of time to study the topics, through videos, khanacademy and your textbook.

Use online guides for the IA, and try to look up examples which to follow (assuming they were graded well).

Summarise as much as you can, try to do this by teaching your friends or anyone who will listen really.

And finally do practice exams! This one is incredibly useful and can give you a lot of insight into how you will have to be able to work with the knowledge and theory that you have learnt.

I really hope these work for you, and good luck!