IB and a Part-Time Job?

starz41

Yes, as in the initial there is not much homework, you can go for the part-time job. It is also good for your CAS. You can decrease the number of hours you spend in the supermarket if the IB school and Homework pressure increases. Take a break from job during examinations. Get the most of it as it is a fresh start and you do not have much homework load.

Yes, as in the initial there is not much homework, you can go for the part-time job. It is also good for your CAS. You can decrease the number of hours you spend in the supermarket if the IB school and Homework pressure increases. Take a break from job during examinations. Get the most of it as it is a fresh start and you do not have much homework load.

You can't get CAS hours for this job if you are getting paid for working there. CAS hours can only be recorded for activities that are completely voluntary.

However, it would count for the employment part of your college application (at least for UCAS).

For me i'm in my junior year and first year in ib, currently i'm working 14 hours a week on 7 hour ****fts. My job is pretty easy and chill, all i do is sit in a office and answer phone calls :P so i get tons of time to do my homework. So i say just keep organized and do your assignments the day that they are assigned! and you'll do fine :P

For me i'm in my junior year and first year in ib, currently i'm working 14 hours a week on 7 hour ****fts. My job is pretty easy and chill, all i do is sit in a office and answer phone calls :P so i get tons of time to do my homework. So i say just keep organized and do your assignments the day that they are assigned! and you'll do fine :P

except that this person doesn't really do that for his spare time when he's at work.

He rather decides to throw tennis balls from office at someone who is actually playing tennis.

So yes, i have no clue what he is thinking

just make sure to tell they once your in IB that you are in IB, and when it somes time for exams you will need to take leave for a bit of time.

Tried to read your sentence 5 times, still cannot understand (why does it sound like one of the Da-Vinci codes?). Can you please rephrase it.

sorry. i am a horrible typer, and then second it is really later here, and i should not be allowed to type after a certain time

"just make sure to tell your job once your in IB that you are in IB, and when it comes time for your exams that you will need to take leave for a bit of while."

is that better?

I had a part-time job as a tutor when I was in IB.

I loved tutoring. I had really flexible hours (only tutored once a week for 2-3 h and I was paid $15/h). If I had an IA due soon, I would just call the parents to ask if I could reschedule. They were very understanding and supportive.

i ahd a part time job too. you got lucky though. some employeers are nto as understanding. i had to work 20-24 (usually on the 24 hour end) for 6.50 USD/ hour (that is more hours a week than my mom works). if i need time off i rarely got it. they were horrible about letting me do school stuff. i had to quit or i wasn't going to be able to finish CAS (but i was soooo happy to quit too).

i ahd a part time job too. you got lucky though. some employeers are nto as understanding. i had to work 20-24 (usually on the 24 hour end) for 6.50 USD/ hour (that is more hours a week than my mom works). if i need time off i rarely got it. they were horrible about letting me do school stuff. i had to quit or i wasn't going to be able to finish CAS (but i was soooo happy to quit too).

You only got paid $6.50/h? Is that even minimum wage..?

In Ontario (Canada), the minimum wage is $8.50/h, I believe. I started off with a salary of $10/h but then as the kids' grades started to improve, the parents decided to pay me more, ha.

And yeah, I got very lucky that I had such understanding employers. They knew I was in IB though (main reason why they hired me) so they understood that sometimes I would have a lot going on.

Edited by __inthemaking

at the time it was minimum wage. they rasied it to like 6.75/ hour right before i quit, and at that time i was making 7/hr i think. all i know is that i was maiking nothing. hey, but it got me a car.

the funny thing was that my mom worked less than me, but she made like one or 2 dollars more than me.

Edited by IBStuck

I would say absolutely no. But my friend proved me wrong.

she is taking HL: spanish B, Chem, Math, English.

And works Saturdays for 10 hours, and sometimes on Sundays.

Hasnt gotten a B yet, all A's :P

So its possible. But I think if your starting Ib for the first time, dont do it. My friend adjusted ot the program and thne took up a job.

Just enjoy being a student for the moment, if you don't desperately need the money then don't work and study. That's my advice because I do that and it's very difficult to balance both!

Well sometimes when I want to buy something expensive, I either:

a) Don't want my parents to waste their money on something only I will be using

b) Parents don't let me buy it

So if I had a job, I can buy whatever I want guilt-free.

• 3 weeks later...
Well sometimes when I want to buy something expensive, I either:

a) Don't want my parents to waste their money on something only I will be using

b) Parents don't let me buy it

So if I had a job, I can buy whatever I want guilt-free.

I had a part time job for the same reason.

I say go for it. Pre is nothing compared to the IB so just live the way you want to :)

I had the part time job till beginning of IB2 and I recently quit when the internals deadlines were decided. Plus, you can put that in your personal statement which apparently is very impressive IF you manage to get good grades at the same time! You should be prepared to quit the job when needed.

Edited by humingyay

If you feel confident that you can organise your time effectively enough then you will be fine. You will hear people on this forum talking about how long it takes them to complete everything and how swamped they are.

Draw up a timetable, don't procrastinate and JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work two jobs, play two instruments, one sport, two orchestras etc.

and I still manage to get through all my work, practice and going to the gym.