Maths EE -- can I use program created by the others?

So for some reason, I want to create a program to model some maths equations and approaches. However, I have no knowledge about programming and I found out there are already lots of existing programs available on the internet. 

Am I allowed to use them ? I will of course cite the source/.

So for some reason, I want to create a program to model some maths equations and approaches. However, I have no knowledge about programming and I found out there are already lots of existing programs available on the internet. 

Yes of course you are! In fact, the IB encourages us to do so. Using modelling programs like geogebra or Matlab would be a great choice. Good luck!

Yes of course you are! In fact, the IB encourages us to do so. Using modelling programs like geogebra or Matlab would be a great choice. Good luck!

HI, and would it be better to "create" my own program ? Is using someone else's program a good idea ? 

HI, and would it be better to "create" my own program ? Is using someone else's program a good idea ? 

Make your own program for a math IA would not give you any advantage. So that would just waste your valuable time.

You should have no problem using a commercial program (program on the market). But if you are using a program that was programmed by a particular person and distributed by that person freely on the web, then you should be careful. Make sure that you have access to the source code in order to know that the program functions as it should.

• Like 1