EE turnitin percentage

misstery_

So I just put my EE through turnitin and it came back with 9% similar. Is the fact that this percentage is low compared to the 20% that we're allowed to reach something to take note of because my supervisor is constantly stressing the fact that this is in the end a research essay and the low percentage could mean a lack of evidence and quotations? 

Nah it should be okay. I did a physics EE which had 14%, but mine's a special case cos it actually pinged all my excel formulae, which is stupid. If you exclude the excel formulae (which were in the appendices), I had only 4% plagiarism. :)

Edited by El :3

Yeah English essays need to have a lot of quotations and stuff. Most people in my grade who did English EEs got 30-60% Plagiarism. One kid got a 60% cause he included two whole speeches in his appendix. So yeah watch out, if you don't have much analysis of your text.

Source: My School is known to get really good grades in English/History essays

Yeah English essays need to have a lot of quotations and stuff. Most people in my grade who did English EEs got 30-60% Plagiarism. One kid got a 60% cause he included two whole speeches in his appendix. So yeah watch out, if you don't have much analysis of your text.

The only problem is our school limits everyone (regardless of what subject you're doing) to 20% so I think I might try and bump it up to that by adding more quotes and stuff

No offence to the teacher, but for the argument, it's absolutely ridiculous.

It's like saying if someone finishes an exam early, she must have messed up or missed something really significant.

Turnitin is programmed to recognize proper citations, which should not show up on plagiarism. Similarity is a poor indication of how much or little evidence you have.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

I've recently submitted my Psychology EE and Turnitin checked me as 48% of my similarity index. Most of the percentage is when I used the aim, method, result and conclusion of each study, 8 in total. I've checked this with my supervisor and he said it's fine and nothing to worry. However, I felt scared when I read others' comments. Am I going to fail the diploma?

On 9/28/2015 at 3:21 PM, kevG said:

Does anyone fail to receive their diploma?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:36 AM, CoachP said:

Hi all,

I've recently submitted my Psychology EE and Turnitin checked me as 48% of my similarity index. Most of the percentage is when I used the aim, method, result and conclusion of each study, 8 in total. I've checked this with my supervisor and he said it's fine and nothing to worry. However, I felt scared when I read others' comments. Am I going to fail the diploma?

What my EE supervisor told us: You'll only fail the extended essay if you don't cite your sources/quotes. She further explained that % similarity doesn't matter, it's just used as a tool to help you check for uncited sources. Turnitin highlights any "similarity" that it finds, even when it's a cited source, so that usually bumps up the % similarity even if there is zero plagiarism - and the plagiarism part is what IB sees as problematic.

tl;dr: Just cite everything you use in your essay that isn't original, and there won't be a problem.

• 6 months later...