mac117

Can grades really determine one's intelligence?

28 posts in this topic

I believe that exams are just a way to quantify the extent to which you can absorb a definite amount of information and serve as indicators of how well you can keep up with your environment. That being said, the environment it tries to test is constrained. Exams don't test your capacity to be innovative or creative. furthermore, they don't test lateral thinking, that's something a quiz does. So, no exams don't serve as parameters for intelligence.

On 9/30/2015 at 2:23 AM, mac117 said:

Hello everyone :)

So, this part of the forum kind of died out, therefore I decided to make a topic about the thing that has been bothering me for the past few months.

We all go to school, or went at one point in our lives. We were graded on our tests, and those tests gave us an idea on our knowledge about the subject… But can they really tell us whether we are/were intelligent? Nowadays the pressure on recieving good grades is so high every 5th high-school student confessed that (s)he has experienced school-related anxiety.

I know people who get really good results and I know people who barely pass. Both of those groups act in a similar way, and their non-academic skills seem to be around the same level. I know there is a positive corelation between good grades and intelligence, but the argument that they separate the "good students" from the "bad students" seems wrong to me. Einstein failed school when he was younger, and even the teachers told him he would never archieve something in his life. Yet his IQ has been determined to be around 160 and he turned out to be one of the most known scientist in the world.

Grades are important to get into good university, and to test our knowledge, but can they really define us and our level of intelligence? Isn't intelligence something much more complex than just a number on a piece of paper?

I have arguments for both sides and I can't wait to read your responses.

Mac117

The way I look at IQ is the potential that one has to achieve greater skills that require certain skills of certain levels. Grades are just numbers that determine how much you understand a topic but that does not mean that you are of "high IQ". Grades can be achieved if you are willing to work hard and smart. Not just because you have high IQ points. Having a high IQ point does not even mean anywhere close to getting higher grades. 

I feel like to some extent ya, and in most scenarios maybe, but there are also many cases that it cannot. Its really dependent on each different situation.