Tertiary credit for IB subjects

winter

Does your country, or some universities/tertiary institutions in your area offer credit points (ie lets you not take a subject or two) for taking the IB?

For taking particular subjects at SL?

For your EE depending on the topic?

I've heard of all of these, but the most common by far seems to be credit offered for >5 at HL.

I can't, however, find any university in Melbourne, or even Australia, that offers this.

well I know Purdue (Uni in Indianapolis) gives allows you credit hours for any HL which you get above 5 on... but it depends on the subject. None of the Unis in Jordan give you credit... and UK Uni's are all 3 year courses (except for med and dentistry) so there's no point in getting credits anyway- plus it's not a credit system they have there...

SL subjects don't allow you to go into the subject deep enough, so I doubt any Unis would give out credit hours for them...

I think that the best thing is to ask the university you're going to. For example, many universities give credit for students who take Math HL instead of SL.. There are many classes that are taken at the Freshman year, and if you take some subjects at HL, then I guess they might give you some credit hours. :P Also, given the fact that each year is about 30 hours, and the whole BS Degree is nearly 120 hours.. IB Diploma students cover only 90 hours!! :P - Depends on the university of course.

As for the EE, I don't think that they give you credit hours for it. :(

You guys, generally, In Canada, you have to have a 6 or 7 at HL to get credit hours. However, unlike other places, if the program takes n years, you still have to wait n years, you just get to not do the specific course or get to tkae another in its place. Therefore, the best thing to do with any credit hours gained is use them to take other classes which will need to be done later or take clases that are not directly related to your major but still useful (i.e. I intend to do softare engineering, but with the math and physics scourses I don't need to do, I could take business).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If i happen to get my IB diploma, i can basically start college as a sophomore on the verge of becoming a junior, so ib is a big deal and saves a lot of money. however, i don't know if all my credits will transfer though, because i looked at some universities and they will only give you credit for exams in which you get a 6 or 7 on, so its pretty hard.

• 2 weeks later...

it is harder to get credit in one of the large private unis, from waht i know. i know that it is easier to get credit from a public university or college. for ex. the university of OK. at tulsa guarantees you will start as a sophmore. it is supposed to be a pretty good school too. Missouri state university (a smaller pulic college in springfield missouri) just went through all of the IB exams and re-evaluated them, and now will accept SL and HL for credit. (they giveyou credit for HL chem if you score a 4 or higher, but the higher your score the mpre credit you can get.)