Math IA Topic - Polynomial Regression

SohailB

Hey everyone!

So, after much procrastination and headache, I think I've finally arrived at a topic for my Math IA. I want to use polynomial regression to find the equation with the lowest r^2 value modelling a road in my city. I'll then use the equation to calculate the length of the road, and compare it to it's real value (Which I'll calculate with an app on my phone).

However, I feel that this topic might be a bit too easy for a math IA. What do you guys think? Is there any thing similar to polynomial regression for sqrt(x) or ln(x) equations? I ask because there was another road I found that I feel looked like those equations, but I don't know how to model them. The only curves I know how to model are polynomials that have x^2,x^3, etc.

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 years later...
On 10/11/2015 at 9:24 PM, SohailB said:

Hey everyone!

So, after much procrastination and headache, I think I've finally arrived at a topic for my Math IA. I want to use polynomial regression to find the equation with the lowest r^2 value modelling a road in my city. I'll then use the equation to calculate the length of the road, and compare it to it's real value (Which I'll calculate with an app on my phone).

However, I feel that this topic might be a bit too easy for a math IA. What do you guys think? Is there any thing similar to polynomial regression for sqrt(x) or ln(x) equations? I ask because there was another road I found that I feel looked like those equations, but I don't know how to model them. The only curves I know how to model are polynomials that have x^2,x^3, etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, 

I am currently writing my Math IA on a similar topic. I was hoping I could have a look at your IA for reference. Please let me know if you don't mind. 

Thanks