School shooting

Xerox

Just read about a school shooting in finland. A 20 year old student seems to have come to school and shot more then 10 people out of which atleast 3 are reported to have died. It just kinda freaks me out that people go this crazy, what is the cause of this? And is society really turning more violent then it was or is it just that people maybe notis violence more due to the global media. I am just saying that if it happends in Finland then where will the next place be... Second time in finland i think aswell. There was a shooter last november if I remember correctly... So what do you guys think about this? is there any cause to this or is it just psychopaths who get ideas from one another to do the same dead?

Edited by Xerox

Is anyone allowed to buy a gun in Finland? I guess gun control laws should be reinforced.

What causes it? There's always a psychopath who's girlfriend dumped him and then he decides to make a dramatic exit from the world. Heard on the radio that the idiot killed himself as well.

He was 22 years old.

You are allowed to buy a gun at age 15 in Finland due to the amount of people that go hunting each year...the government is changing the law to 18 years old now. Unfortunately, we are the country with the third highest number of firearm-owning civilians (1.6 million), with USA and Yemen being the highest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7630969.stm for all those that want more information.

I'm personally very furious at the trend in recent years of all these school shootings worldwide. And I know that they started with the Columbine shooting in the USA, nothing like this was happening in Finland prior to this. Thanks America, for starting the hippest new "trend".

I'm personally very furious at the trend in recent years of all these school shootings worldwide. And I know that they started with the Columbine shooting in the USA, nothing like this was happening in Finland prior to this. Thanks America, for starting the hippest new "trend".

Don't forget Virgina Tech :P

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine did his EE on school shooting and got an A on it. He was trying to find out the connection between this type of behavior and violent video games. So I guess those could also influence to a certain extent. I mean, we are surrounded by movies with violent themes, games and now kids don't even watch Tom and Jerry any more because that's so old-fashioned. They watch all the robots and the shooting and the war cartoons. No wonder the only way to deal with their problems later on is to just shoot everybody.

A friend of mine did his EE on school shooting and got an A on it. He was trying to find out the connection between this type of behavior and violent video games. So I guess those could also influence to a certain extent. I mean, we are surrounded by movies with violent themes, games and now kids don't even watch Tom and Jerry any more because that's so old-fashioned. They watch all the robots and the shooting and the war cartoons. No wonder the only way to deal with their problems later on is to just shoot everybody.

Who says Tom and Jerry was not violent? Plenty of stuff in there to give people the wrong idea.

I wouldn't blame the USA for the "trend". School shootings happen a lot more often than you think.

Thing is, USA being such a large country with massive media coverage, events like Columbine and Virginia Tech get worldwide attention, whereas other shootings in other countries might not. If some third world country school was bombed, sure it might make the evening news, but there won't be nations in mourning over it.

In any case, my condolences to the affected. There are some people blinded by anger and rage, who unfortunately have access to firearms. I wouldn't demonize them though, since they are angry and misguided, not inherently twisted and sadistic.

I fully agree with this post.

You see, the media in North America really loves to put things such as school shootings up into people's faces to get their attention.

My old school (transferred because of IB) was on the evening news, merely because someone wrote a death threat on the washroom wall.

I don't know ... last time I checked empty threats weren't supposed to be taken that seriously ...

Who says Tom and Jerry was not violent? Plenty of stuff in there to give people the wrong idea.
Tom and Jerry have things like dropping iron anvils on people's head and blowing people up wit dynamites and smacking people with frying pans. Not violent? I beg to differ.

You're right...I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote that apparently. I meant the cartoons we used to watch were different, but right now I can't think of any other examples...

How did I miss this thread? As a Finn i feel obliged to answer:

Is anyone allowed to buy a gun in Finland? I guess gun control laws should be reinforced.

No, not everyone is allowed to buy guns. For example if you have a criminal record with violent crimes or you've even so much as done something remotely violent when drunk, you can't get a gun. Especially a handgun. Even before the shooting(s) it was very difficult to get a handgun in Finland, but, as we now know, not impossible.

Sure, we can make the gun laws somewhat stricter, though the stuff they now propose is just ridiculous. Two (previously one) policemen now interview the person who wants to get a buying permit, and they should now be able to judge whether the person is sane or not. Ironically enough, doctors need months of testing to do the same thing, I guess policemen are supposed to have superhuman instincts in 10 minute interviews. I know this is straight from the NRA handbook, but I still have to say it: guns don't kill, people do. I think the gun laws are strict enough as they are, it's not like America, I also bet it's a lot harder to get a weapon here than in most European countries.

To explain my bias, I can confess that I own a shotgun and a rifle. I don't have a handgun and I've never considered getting one :) .

You are allowed to buy a gun at age 15 in Finland due to the amount of people that go hunting each year...the government is changing the law to 18 years old now. Unfortunately, we are the country with the third highest number of firearm-owning civilians (1.6 million), with USA and Yemen being the highest.

You need to take into account that the VAST majority of all guns are hunting weapons, basically single-shot rifles and shotguns, i.e. guns which are not suitable for school shootings. It's not possible to get an automatic weapon in Finland, they are illegal. The amount of handguns in the country is quite small, unfortunately I'm able to give you a number though. It's ridiculous how they're changing the age limit from 15 to 18 now, as if it would help the situation at all. Both perpetrators have been over 18, and have only had their (first) gun for a month or so, meaning that they already were 18 when they got the weapons. I started hunting when I turned 15 (i.e. I got my first guns) and I think a 15 year old is mature enough to handle weapons, not handguns, though. This being said, it is and has been extremely hard for a 15 year old to get a handgun permit in Finland.

this is straight from the NRA handbook, but I still have to say it: guns don't kill, people do.

Yeah, and fingers don't kill people, bullets do. That makes just about as much sense as the NRA does! At least people without guns would have quite a bit a harder time carrying out school shootings. While I understand the underlying motivations behind the hesitancy towards general gun control, the current proposals seem reasonable: why not restrict the storage and use of handguns to locked vaults at shooting ranges?

Yeah, and fingers don't kill people, bullets do. That makes just about as much sense as the NRA does! At least people without guns would have quite a bit a harder time carrying out school shootings. While I understand the underlying motivations behind the hesitancy towards general gun control, the current proposals seem reasonable: why not restrict the storage and use of handguns to locked vaults at shooting ranges?

And who will be there to open these vaults? :) You are aware of the fact that most shooting ranges don't have hired staff? And what will you do when you have a competition and you need to take your weapon elsewhere? Please don't say "use another weapon" because you should know that guns are unique, just as boats :) .

p.s. sait tän vihdoinki toimimaan sit?

The expense of hired staff on the shooting community is quite justifiable in the interest of public security. If the hobbyists insist on sleeping with their weapons, at the very least ammunition could be stored at the shooting range. Please don't say "there are differences between bullets" <3

p.s. joo toimii vaan uudella koneella, ei vielkää vanhalla

The expense of hired staff on the shooting community is quite justifiable in the interest of public security. If the hobbyists insist on sleeping with their weapons, at the very least ammunition could be stored at the shooting range. Please don't say "there are differences between bullets" <3

p.s. joo toimii vaan uudella koneella, ei vielkää vanhalla

Well, to be honest, there are significant differences between bullets. That's why people like to load their own bullets; they can find the right amount of gunpowder for their weapon etc. It would be extremely expensive to have hired staff in shooting ranges, taking into account the fact that most shooting ranges are in rural areas, where the hobbyist to staff ratio would inevitably be extremely low.

p.s. ai sait sen uuden koneen vihdoin? :D

Even if mass-produced bullets of any given type, model or brand had significant differences and that many hobbyists customized their own bullets to suit their individual needs, I don't see what would prevent them from storing their own equipment in personal lockers at shooting ranges, just as people who play large musical instruments may leave their highly customized and tweaked instruments at their schools. If the staff expenditures pose such an obstacle, the storage of weapons could be monitored through alternative methods, say electronically, for instance. Besides, such sophisticated concerns seem minor in the context of the prevention of guns on the streets..

p.s. on ollu toiminas jo pari viikkoo mut tajusin kokeilla tätä vast eile <3