Will regular experiments in class affect overall grades?

Recently my chemistry teacher pulled up a grade sheet and wrote down the grades of our labs that we did since DP1. My grades were usually a 2 or 3 from the beginning because she was strict. She even marked us for plagiarism once because we were expected to look for online sources to write a good introduction. Seriously, a lab of thousand over words every single time and she gives us a regular 3, she rarely thinks that it deserves a 5 so it can be overwhelmingly stressful. I always kept in mind with my chemistry teacher's comments and applied to my biology lab report I could easily get a 5 or sometimes a 7. Well she did say that if she's strict we can do better. I understand... I'm just worried if the IB takes my overall lab results from my class and this will just pull down my grades for my overall exam. I forgot how the lab results affect my overall results so it would be great if I got a note about this. :/

Recently my chemistry teacher pulled up a grade sheet and wrote down the grades of our labs that we did since DP1. My grades were usually a 2 or 3 from the beginning because she was strict. She even marked us for plagiarism once because we were expected to look for online sources to write a good introduction. Seriously, a lab of thousand over words every single time and she gives us a regular 3, she rarely thinks that it deserves a 5 so it can be overwhelmingly stressful. I always kept in mind with my chemistry teacher's comments and applied to my biology lab report I could easily get a 5 or sometimes a 7. Well she did say that if she's strict we can do better. I understand... I'm just worried if the IB takes my overall lab results from my class and this will just pull down my grades for my overall exam. I forgot how the lab results affect my overall results so it would be great if I got a note about this. :/

Umm I honestly don't think that your individual lab work would count towards your IB mark. The labs are just for the hours and it would only count towards your report card marks (you need a certain amount of lab hours to pass for the sciences). Your actual final IB mark for sciences would be based on the independent investigation (the IA) and paper 1, paper 2 and paper 3. 

Btw it is good to have a hard marking teacher for sciences. My chem teacher marks super hard as well. It's good prep for the IA because if the moderator thinks your teacher marked too easy for the IA, everyone's marks get pulled down, but if the moderator thought the teacher marked too hard, your marks get pulled up which is a good thing (Y) 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 2

Btw it is good to have a hard marking teacher for sciences. My chem teacher marks super hard as well. It's good prep for the IA because if the moderator thinks your teacher marked too easy for the IA, everyone's marks get pulled down, but if the moderator thought the teacher marked too hard, your marks get pulled up which is a good thing (Y)

Hmm yeah I think my HL Chem teacher was fair on the side of strict. Then results came in and everyone's IA dropped by 15% which was quite surprising, but we had 4 teachers between HL and SL. Then SL Physics we had top students lost 5-7%, bottom students gaining 5-7%. Knowing your IA mark very accurately is very important going into the exams so you definitely want your teachers to be harsh than easy!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...