Does God exist?

Solaris

2 hours ago, talalrulez said:

firstly if friday is day 0, then it touched 2 days, not 3 days. Ive counted the days for you, and you still seem not to understand. this part of your argument is driving me crazy. letme make it clear for you. if you died on friday at say 5:am, on saturday at 5:00 am, you will be considered to have died for one day. enough with that. 

If Friday is day zero, and it touched day zero, day 1, and day 2, then it still touched three days. And yes in your example you will be considered to have been dead for 24 hours, but it would still have touched two days and not just one.

You do know that Jesus prayed, ate ate, and had all the other functions a normal human has. when critics of the bible ask why Jesus prayed, and said that "power is in the lord, my father, and not with me", bible scholars say the part human in him had to do that. Humans will have a resurrection one day according to the bible, and fter that, you can't touch them. If jesus is part man, that means he is susceptibe to this resurrection, yet if he was indeed resurrected, why hide from the romans and jews. do you not understand what a contradiction means.

So you're saying Jesus wasn't resurrected because he was fearing that the Jews would kill him. But dude, fear of someone killing you isn't the only reason you might want to hide from that someone. There could be plenty of reasons he hid from them besides fearing that they would kill him. They were his enemies.

Lastly, it wasn't that Mary Magdalene came to the tomb that i was caring about. It's what she said when she came to the tomb. cbf finding it in the bible. watch the link below from 1:01:15

I watched it. But in the Bible it's clear that Mary Magdalene (and others) came to the tomb to anoint him with spices, which was a Jewish burial custom. So they thought he was dead, not alive.

I just want to make people aware again that the majority of New Testament scholars (this includes many non-Christians) agree that

- The tomb in which Jesus was buried after the crucifixion was found empty 

- Various people had experiences of appearances of Jesus alive after the crucifixion

- Jesus' disciples suddenly came to believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

It's amazing that most New Testament scholars actually agree on those facts. This data was gathered from historian Gary Habermas who reviewed all papers from relevant scholars on the historicity of Jesus since 1975.

Here are some quotes by prominent NON-Christian NT scholars: 

"That Jesus’ followers (and later Paul) had resurrection experiences is, in my judgment, a fact." - E.P. Sanders

"It is a historical fact that some of Jesus’ followers came to believe that he had been raised from the dead soon after his execution. We know some of these believers by name; one of them, the apostle Paul, claims quite plainly to have seen Jesus alive after his death. Thus, for the historian, Christianity begins after the death of Jesus, not with the resurrection itself, but with the belief in the resurrection." - Bart Ehrman

"The historical ground of Easter is very simple: the followers of Jesus, both then and now, continued to experience Jesus as a living reality after his death. In the early Christian community, these experiences included visions or apparitions of Jesus." - Marcus Borg

The best explanation of these facts is that Jesus rose from the dead.

I don't have anything else to add.

Sorry, when I had posted that the only post I saw was the one above (above my first post that is).

I just want to say this : Has anyone considered that God isn't essentially conscious? As in perhaps a balance in the universe or simply an entity unaware of its actions in creating our world?

5 hours ago, ILoveJesus said:

Here are some quotes by prominent NON-Christian NT scholars: 

"That Jesus’ followers (and later Paul) had resurrection experiences is, in my judgment, a fact." - E.P. Sanders

"It is a historical fact that some of Jesus’ followers came to believe that he had been raised from the dead soon after his execution. We know some of these believers by name; one of them, the apostle Paul, claims quite plainly to have seen Jesus alive after his death. Thus, for the historian, Christianity begins after the death of Jesus, not with the resurrection itself, but with the belief in the resurrection." - Bart Ehrman

"The historical ground of Easter is very simple: the followers of Jesus, both then and now, continued to experience Jesus as a living reality after his death. In the early Christian community, these experiences included visions or apparitions of Jesus." - Marcus Borg

The best explanation of these facts is that Jesus rose from the dead.

I don't have anything else to add.

good that you dont have anything to add after my saying i dont want to add anymore, and yet have left me osmething so tasty. only your first quote, by e.p sanders sounded partially affirming for the resurrection. the other two basically say that the followers of jesus suupposedly had visions of jesus, but it doesn't really confirm the resurrection. but that the first quote ill admit threw me off a bit. until i found the whole thing...

New Testament scholar and theologian E. P. Sanders argues that a concerted plot to foster belief in the Resurrection would probably have resulted in a more consistent story, and that some of those who were involved in the events gave their lives for their belief. Sanders offers his own hypothesis, saying "there seems to have been a competition: 'I saw him,' 'so did I,' 'the women saw him first,' 'no, I did; they didn't see him at all,' and so on."[14] In defending the historicity of the resurrection, Sanders goes so far as to state, "That Jesus’ followers (and later Paul) had resurrection experiences is, in my judgment, a fact. What the reality was that gave rise to the experiences I do not know."[15]

wikipedia.org

g... the fact that this guy is still agnostic despite being a "new testament scholar" also doesn't sound good. It basically means that he's an expert in Christianity, a lot more so than your daily christian, and has still decided that Christianity was a religion worth believing in.

gg. i swear im not returning to this topic after this anymore, no matter how many tasty morsels you offer me. 

Edited by talalrulez

Dear IBS community,

We have decided to turn off replies to this topic, as it has drifted from pure discussion it was  intended for. 

Naturally, everyone has their own beliefs and opinions, but those are also to be respected regardless of one's personal views. This, sadly, wasn't something we observed for the past few weeks. The topic became full of underlying hate where people drifted from the idea of whether a god exists to disproving someone else's god or making them seem inferior. 

This community should be open-minded; as IB students we are taught to respect others no matter what our own personal belief is. Please reconsider your actions and reflect on your own posts in this thread.

You are more than welcome to continue the debate in your private messages. 

Thank you for hearing us out.

IBS Team