Does God exist?

Solaris

You say that there is no proof that God exist, but there is also little proof that he does not. although i attend a christian school, i consider myself an aethiest, and therefore i'm alittle bit of both sides. I believe that there is a 'God', a creator of what we have on earth, the universe...etc. But i do not believ in a God who monitors our world as a 14 yr old boy may play world of warcraft. I also believe in a heaven- a place after death. I think the question is not whether 'God' as an authorative power exist, but rather the faith in God that christians offer, and how they live by that faith. this means upholding the religion of the faith- regardless of which; and working to do good in the world. Perhaps God is just a creation of our minds, something/someone that we are able to blame when things go wrong, someone to confession to when we do bad things. It doesn't matter what God is or whether he really is a great big man peeping at us through clouds. As long as humans believe in him, and seek to bring good into the world in 'his' name, then God does exist. (think of the law of gravity)

you know..this thread is for everyone to give their opinions...not to attack each other:S

so im just going to give my opinion clearly and directly...

I certainly believe that the whole universe with its extreme accuracy...all the creatures around us...OURSELVES....there's noway this could have been without a god....i mean to me..its more of common sense....if ok...someone believes that god doesnt exist....who created all these things around us? how can you have the whole universe going so accuratly...how can you have all these tiny yet amazing systems in our body? going from the nucleolus to the nucleus..to the cell all the way to us human beings as a whole??

i believe that all these just proof's god's existence....and as there are different religions,....there are different "forms" of god that everyone believes....although i do know for a fact that christianity and jewism(sp?) and islam are all from one source..and we believe in one god....im sorry if you guys dont agree with this:S..,..but my religion does tell me EVERYTHING about christianity and jewism and about Moses and Jesus..and all others...so i do know for a fact that there's one god....

so yeah..thats my opinion..coincidence cant happen billions and billions of times can it?

A Transcendent Being Cannot Be Omnipresent

If God existsm then he is transcendent

If God exists, he is omnipresent

To be transcendent, a being cannot exist anywhere in space

To be omnipresent, a being must exist everywhere in space

Hence it is impossible for a transcendent begint to be omnipresence

Therefore it is impossible for God to exist

uhhh....what you just said...made no sense....where did you get this from?

and what religion are you?

oh...and this is a debate....so dont say..."impossible"...because then i could go like..."its impossible for god...NOT to be present"

thanks

However, what if God is the Ultimate Source of Energy (as we know so far energy cannot be created or destroyed and it is just regenerated), and as we know everything contains energy, therefore "God" is omnipresent.

I respect all religions, so I could care less if someone believes in some sort of god or not. I have a lot of Atheist friends even when I'm a Christian myself. It's very interesting when we get to the conversation. I believe in God because when life's at its hardest and I turn to Him, there's some sort of "miracle" later in life that I will reflect to that hard time. But that's just me, so don't say that it doesn't happen to you. I know so many people who don't believe in God because they haven't seen proof yet. I was like that too, and just questioned so many Christians why they believe in such a god. But I'm very tolerant with religions and many people at church would be really surprised when I told them that I have a lot more Atheist/Agnostic friends and even had a few Islam friends. x-x;; That's what I don't like about many Christians. They're not that tolerant much, and they just piss me off. But that doesn't cut my belief in God.

You say that there is no proof that God exist, but there is also little proof that he does not. although i attend a christian school, i consider myself an aethiest, and therefore i'm alittle bit of both sides. I believe that there is a 'God', a creator of what we have on earth, the universe...etc. But i do not believ in a God who monitors our world as a 14 yr old boy may play world of warcraft. I also believe in a heaven- a place after death. I think the question is not whether 'God' as an authorative power exist, but rather the faith in God that christians offer, and how they live by that faith. this means upholding the religion of the faith- regardless of which; and working to do good in the world. Perhaps God is just a creation of our minds, something/someone that we are able to blame when things go wrong, someone to confession to when we do bad things. It doesn't matter what God is or whether he really is a great big man peeping at us through clouds. As long as humans believe in him, and seek to bring good into the world in 'his' name, then God does exist. (think of the law of gravity)

Do you really consider yourself to be an atheist? An atheist, by definition, is someone who denies the existence of a God(s). Agnostic might be the word you are looking for.

Also, I really detest the "there is no proof he doesn't exist." Saying that is, to me at least, like saying "Guilty until proven contrary".

Big Bang?

But then that creates the question: What caused the Big Bang... hmm...

The Big Crunch...

The universe is the ultimate cycle. Expanding until it can expand no more, contracting until it can contract no more, and, then repeating. Time, therefore, is infinite--as is the universe.

God, normally exists for people that are having a bad time (for instance poor people, they tend to be more religious)

However, the ironic thing is that they believe in a god when they are struggling. Aren't they suppossed to figure out that no god is helping them which means it does not exist? Rich people should be the ones to belive that it does exist.

I don't wanna believe in anything. ToK is religion enough for me :)

God, normally exists for people that are having a bad time (for instance poor people, they tend to be more religious)

However, the ironic thing is that they believe in a god when they are struggling. Aren't they suppossed to figure out that no god is helping them which means it does not exist? Rich people should be the ones to belive that it does exist.

I don't wanna believe in anything. ToK is religion enough for me :)

Massive generalization. From TOK, you should have learned to not generalize and stereotype as it is closeminded and quite often incorrect.

And why do 'poor people' have no reason to believe in God? Sure, they may not be as well off financially, but emotionally, psychologically, intellectually, or even in terms of happiness and health, they may be much better off.

Religion is a personal belief system. There is no correlation or causation between personal finances and belief in God(s), or the lack thereof.

God is simply an imaginary friend who gives us reason to not fear the nothingness after death.

That attitude is a common one among atheists, and is generally presented without anything in the way of evidence save an unfair attack on any rational person who believes in a god or other manifestation of greater power. I would agree with you on one point, though, that god exists within the mind. I, however, would state that what exists in the mind is more real than what exists in a material sense, simply because we can doubt the material, yet we are unable to doubt the existence of consciousness. Whether or not a god is part of said consciousness will never be known, but it would be foolish to completely block out the possibility of ambiguity in whether or not there exists a god. The acceptance of this practically undeniable logic is called agnosticism, though many people accept the potential error in their beliefs, and instead choose to maintain, out of faith, that they personally think that there is/isn't a god. I only find issue with those who would refuse to admit that they are potentially wrong, or who would force their belief on others, and I would apply that to atheists and theists alike. There's fundamentalism in both camps.

Massive generalization. From TOK, you should have learned to not generalize and stereotype as it is closeminded and quite often incorrect.

And why do 'poor people' have no reason to believe in God? Sure, they may not be as well off financially, but emotionally, psychologically, intellectually, or even in terms of happiness and health, they may be much better off.

Religion is a personal belief system. There is no correlation or causation between personal finances and belief in God(s), or the lack thereof.

Reading Nietzche's analysis on master and slave morality, the argument exists with philosophical precedent to suggest that poor people or those who have been poor would hold value to the ideas of mercy, charity and equality, while those in power would look to actualizing humanity, creating art, and becoming as human as possible. By that regard, making generalizations is of course, inappropriate, but some manner of discourse on whether or not life experiences change beliefs, and what types of such experiences have certain effects is perfectly acceptable.

Edited by SharkSpider

Yeah, frequent objection of generalization can itself be a generalization.

Oh, and Nietzsche definitely knows how to challenge some of the most fundamental assumptions we make about ourselves.

I actually made a generalization in my post but no one has picked up on it yet. :( Kinda impossible to avoid all generalizations though... then again, "seek simplicity and distrust it".

• 2 weeks later...

Many people here are working under the confirmation bias :P

My parents are mixed, Christian + Muslim and I am Atheist.

I do not believe in God. It is impossible for us to comprehend the mere evolution. In the midst celerity of the neurons firing, we see a glimpse, like a fast and hostile light pass through and we skip from the primordial soup --> to the one on your table. Technology is not being replicated by the mere writings of the Quran. nor has the Bible offered me any significant insight into my life, only that I should be burning in hell :D

did u know that inside the Mitochondria there is a enveloped part of DNA which has stayed there consistently, and has only recently been found. Most scientist believe that the modern cell is a highly evolutionary version of a primordial staged relative. There is much science can offer insight to, and yes even under the TOK glass, it proves to be worthless. But that damn book is written to question everything, to assert a new foundation within students, that you cant trust that statistical graph that has intervals that are bizarre. I am sorry to say, but religion has done very little for me, and upon many nights of crying and wanting to be delivered out of what I thought was my fated hell, I found reason. Nothing has been more liberating, it has allowed me to live on. I think its very easy for people to say, oh God did it. But at the end of the day, I would like to reflect on what exactly happened. Did I miss that chem question because God is showing me some sick lesson or is it my fault I didnt look over the reactivity series?

Will try to find a article I had published on the existence of God. I guess people are intrigued by a child who was let to think to himself about what God is, and not stuffed or shoved with false praise. Sorry I have a harsh view, But I have seen what a country does with religion. Lived through it, and moved on only to find I have something they would skin me for or throw a brick at my head. Sad really :/

Many people here are working under the confirmation bias :rofl:

My parents are mixed, Christian + Muslim and I am Atheist.

I do not believe in God. It is impossible for us to comprehend the mere evolution. In the midst celerity of the neurons firing, we see a glimpse, like a fast and hostile light pass through and we skip from the primordial soup --> to the one on your table. Technology is not being replicated by the mere writings of the Quran. nor has the Bible offered me any significant insight into my life, only that I should be burning in hell :)

did u know that inside the Mitochondria there is a enveloped part of DNA which has stayed there consistently, and has only recently been found. Most scientist believe that the modern cell is a highly evolutionary version of a primordial staged relative. There is much science can offer insight to, and yes even under the TOK glass, it proves to be worthless. But that damn book is written to question everything, to assert a new foundation within students, that you cant trust that statistical graph that has intervals that are bizarre. I am sorry to say, but religion has done very little for me, and upon many nights of crying and wanting to be delivered out of what I thought was my fated hell, I found reason. Nothing has been more liberating, it has allowed me to live on. I think its very easy for people to say, oh God did it. But at the end of the day, I would like to reflect on what exactly happened. Did I miss that chem question because God is showing me some sick lesson or is it my fault I didnt look over the reactivity series?

Will try to find a article I had published on the existence of God. I guess people are intrigued by a child who was let to think to himself about what God is, and not stuffed or shoved with false praise. Sorry I have a harsh view, But I have seen what a country does with religion. Lived through it, and moved on only to find I have something they would skin me for or throw a brick at my head. Sad really :/

I couldn't really understand what you meant by your last paragraph? Are you saying that countries under religion you can't really go back to because you are an athiest? Well, I think you can live in perfect harmony in a religious country despite the fact that you don't practice said religion. For instance I was raised by athiest parents (although my dad wavers between 'traditions of islam' and you know the actual belief in god) who come from a muslim background, except my mom comes from a christian-muslim houeshold. I myself am not an athiest, yet I do believe in a higher being. I don't follow a specific religion yet I've been living in Jerusalem (the holy city for 3 religions) all my life. Religion does not play a huge role in my life. But from what I've seen and from my experience, you can just as easily live in a country with religious implications.

Yup. I don't see why any country would cause you trouble for being an athiest. Some might be annoyed if you openly express your beliefs in public and try to convince people.

Religion doesnt really play alot in most people's lives, well, as far as I know, besides Iranis and extremists.

Did I miss that chem question because God is showing me some sick lesson or is it my fault I didnt look over the reactivity series?

You're giving an extreme example here. Not everyone uses their belief in god in this way. I personally never use my belief in god in such small things.

What I say is that, is it possible that our cells, with their extremely complex and neat structure rarely make mistakes if not of some highly being (which I believe is god).

We have billions of cells, every single one of them functions neatly. Besides the plant cells, the bacteria, the fungi...etc.

If you dont agree, then tell me how this is happening? The billions of human beings, animals, plants..etc. Could they all be a coincedence repeated billions and billions of times?

The universe, how come just everything is going so neatly? Physics law? How?

Now, dont misunderstand me, I mean in now talking about ISLAM, but just an example:

The Quran, The Torah, the Bible..etc. D o you believe in those?

The Quran for example, if you believe that it has not been changed, then how do you explain the scientific facts in it that are only being discovered now? Stages of pregnancy, Mensturation..etc. ?

Im only debating, so dont take it as offending or attacking.

Edited by *~*MaHuTa*~*