Computer Science HL Revision

Lara

Hey guys,

So my computer science teacher is not particularly well at his job. He starts with a concept but whatever he says in class does not seem like teaching to me. So, me along with my friends have to pretty much do that portion on our own to understand it better. So I was wondering, fellow Computer Science students. How do you revise? Which books do you use? Do you have any suggestions and recommendations on how I could revise well for the final exams?

Thanks in advance. 

I have realized that a good way to revise effectively is to go through the syllabus guide which states exactly what you should know and make notes for each chapter if your teacher does not cover it well. Unfortunately, there is no book written specifically for IB Computer Science HL so it is difficult to find a book that covers everything but there are a lot of things you can find on the internet and even videos for different chapters. But for my mock exams I just went through the syllabus guide and created notes and it worked so this is what I would recommend (even though it takes a lot of time)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In fact there is a book called "Computer Science: Java Enabled" for the IBDP. But it is over 200 dollars on amazon and outdated...

I think we should go through the definitions as well... Sometimes IB ask weird ones... like autonomous agent for last year.

Google for ' "Glossary of computer science terms" international baccalaureate' (excluding the outer single quotes) and click the first result. Appendix 1 is the definition list. 2006 syllabus but most of the terms are still usable.

And try to get some past papers and markscheme from your teacher and see the way you should answer, eg how many points for how many marks etc.

Still feel quite worried though... One of my senior who is quite good in CS algorithm etc got a 6 for the IB exam...

I hope there could be a good textbook for IB CS in the future.... sigh

And you know the links to samples on the IB Teacher Support Material site gives 404.

Edited by Dennis Lee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...