Chemistry SL or ESS?

beth-

I'm not sure which one to take. I really don't want to do Biology or Physics as I find Biology to be quite boring, to be honest, and I'm not excelling in it, and I don't want to do Physics as I'm not a math-inclined person. 

However, I've always found Chemistry to be interesting and that it doesn't involve too much math (although, I don't know about IB Chemistry). 

I studied something similar to ESS (it was about pollution and geography) and I found it ridiculously easy and I got an easy A+ in that class. However, I didn't find it nearly as interesting as Chemistry. 

I don't know whether I should go for Chemistry or ESS, but I'm definitely not going to need it in the future. 

Is ESS social science-based (think Geography)? Is it analytical or is it a thorough science? 

I'm not sure which one to take. I really don't want to do Biology or Physics as I find Biology to be quite boring, to be honest, and I'm not excelling in it, and I don't want to do Physics as I'm not a math-inclined person. 

However, I've always found Chemistry to be interesting and that it doesn't involve too much math (although, I don't know about IB Chemistry). 

I studied something similar to ESS (it was about pollution and geography) and I found it ridiculously easy and I got an easy A+ in that class. However, I didn't find it nearly as interesting as Chemistry. 

I don't know whether I should go for Chemistry or ESS, but I'm definitely not going to need it in the future. 

Is ESS social science-based (think Geography)? Is it analytical or is it a thorough science? 

IB chemistry SL isn't very mathematical: it'll mostly be additional and multiplication. I was in a similar situation as you: hated Biology, didn't understand a word of Physics and liked Chemistry (my school doesn't offer ESS). I chose Chemistry and never regretted it. It didn't require a lot of memorisation (except for the options paper) and was based more around understanding concepts and applying them than anything else. I always say that if you learn to read all the trends in the periodic table, and use them, you're halfway done with Chemistry already. 

So if you enjoy Chemistry, I'd recommend it. 

• Like 1