Math HL type II investigation on statistics

hk213

wow..... this investigation that i received today is due in 1 1/2 weeks from now and yet i don't have any clues on how to even start this thing.

The investigation is about analyzing the relationship between certain probability distributions and the first part of it asks you to build a model.

So its about two players playing Tennis and they play for 10 points- and one person wins about twice as many points as the other person.

OK HERE COMES THE PART WHICH I'M COMPLETELY LOST.

The instruction tells you to find an appropriate model for the distribution of X, the number of points won by the player who wins twice as many points.

So what do you think about this??? what would be an appropriate model fro the distribution??? are there any limitations in terms of its validity???

Yo wassup kimchiii

i talked it over with vic and we decided that adam has 2/3 chances of winning a point and ben has 1/3 chance of winnign a point. The limitation of this is that the total probability will be 99.99999999999999 but never 100. see u tomorrow hk

i got that far 19000000000000000000000years ago....

Yo wassup kimchiii

i talked it over with vic and we decided that adam has 2/3 chances of winning a point and ben has 1/3 chance of winnign a point. The limitation of this is that the total probability will be 99.99999999999999 but never 100. see u tomorrow hk

99.999... is 100, isn't it? In the same way that 0.999...=1, not 0.999...≈1

I DID THIS PORTFOLIO.

it's fairly understandable/tolerable/do-able up to part II, then, part III makes you want to give up on everything. but basically

with the 10 point one, you do the binomial theorem - hopefully you know what that is, where n is the number of total points, and r is the number of points one person can win (so if youre looking for adam's win, then you set it: Adam's probability of winning r=0 points, or r=1 points, etc)

and p and 1-p represents , well you can look it in two ways: 1) p = probability adam wins while 1-p = probability that adam loses. OR 2) p = probabilit ythat adam wins while 1-p = probability that ben wins.

its very fine, until part III.

seriously...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Could somebody give me some hints about how to study Part III? My perfect binomial theorem has been destroyed :)

Thank you in advance

have you figured it out yet? I am in desperate need of help with part 3 - any hints please?

ive read over and over that question 6 helps with 5, but i still don't see how to work out the odds since the games could theoretically be infinitely long..

have you figured it out yet? I am in desperate need of help with part 3 - any hints please?

ive read over and over that question 6 helps with 5, but i still don't see how to work out the odds since the games could theoretically be infinitely long..

Infinite geometric series. I swear that's been stated a few times now.

• 1 year later...

could someone explain the question c in part 1?

what does it mean by "what can you say about what usually happens in these 10-point practices?"

do i have to sorta say something based on the histogram? or i can just describe the histogram and predict what would happen accordin to it.

thank u in adv. :blush:

Edited by cinjee