Sign in to follow this  

Early action vs Regular decision

I will probably get my best personal essay and transcripts and whole application done before November. And the deadline for early action is November 1 and deadline for regular decision is January 1

Should I apply for early action to increase my chances of acceptance (although I would probably send in the application in like October 20, which is almost right at the deadline)? Or should I perhaps apply relatively early for regular action (so that my application will be near the beginning or middle of the application load that admin officers receive, rather than have my application float around at the very end, with a tired admin officer moaning before he even reads my application)?

I hope that made sense. Generally, is it ALWAYS better to apply for Early action rather than regular decision, considering I will have everything ready by Early action deadline? Except for my last SATs which I will do in December

To my point of view, I would apply for Early action because I surely will not be compared to that many applications in the full same cycle.
UK universities often decide to give you an offer quite early I believe, therefore there is no worries about applications being considered over and over again.

To apply early action means that you would be put into a tougher applicant pool and therefore your chances do not increase. However ED shows that it is your 1st choice and therefore universities will consider you differently and your chances may increase.

[quote name='Forester' post='25483' date='Sep 26 2008, 11:14 PM']To apply early action means that you would be put into a tougher applicant pool and therefore your chances do not increase. However ED shows that it is your 1st choice and therefore universities will consider you differently and your chances may increase.[/quote]

A tougher applicant pool? Tougher than regular decision? Then what's the point of early action?