History Extended Essay

Marshmallow1

Hi guys. I am an IB newbie student. The school just made us to choose a subject and a suitable topic for EE and I am thinking of writing it on history. (BTW I don't take history) The things I would like to find out is:

1. If EEs on history generally get good scores

2. If not taking the subject would be disadvantageous to me

3. Any specific requirements/restrictions 

Thank you!

Hi guys. I am an IB newbie student. The school just made us to choose a subject and a suitable topic for EE and I am thinking of writing it on history. (BTW I don't take history) The things I would like to find out is:

Thank you!

1. Yeah I heard that group 3 and group 1 EE's are easiest to score high on. You don't need to worry about collecting data as well which is good :D 

2. Well, the EE guide does not recommend doing your EE on a subject you're not in, but I suppose you can give it a shot if you can find a good supervisor? 

3. For a history EE (like other EE's), ensure that your topic is narrow enough so that you can cover it in 4000 words. It also needs to be about HUMAN history. It has to be something that happened at least 10 years ago (though I would go more than 10 years ago to be on the safe side). Always try and get as close to the word limit as possible. Have counterarguments (arguments that are against your position) in your essay (don't just throw them in there. Explain why it's valid before you refute it). In addition to that, it's always good to bring in historians. Doubting your sources in your essay also brings it to a whole new level (there's this thing you do for history when analyzing sources and it is called looking at the origin, purpose, value and limitation and basically you look at who created the source/where the source is from, the intention of the source and you talk about what makes the source valuable in relation to that or what is impeded because of the source's intention). 

• Like 1

Thank you!

1. I've seen EEs in history that got really good scores and ones that got really bad scores. It really depends on how closely they follow the scoring guide. 

2. Common knowledge about EEs say that it is an advantage to write an EE in a subject you are taking. Personally I don't think it makes a huge difference. You'll end up with a better product if you are passionate about what you write on. Hopefully you can find a supervisor that knows something in your subject area. If you can't you will have to make sure your EE fits into IB's idea of history (analytical not narrative). 

3. There is an entire 5 page scoring guide for history EEs. Here's a link to an HTML copy of the EE guidelines. (link)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...