Drop Physics HL and take Bio HL instead?

Balazs

Hello everyone!

I started IB this August and one of my HL subjects is Physics. After roughly 3 months of studying, I realized that Physics is not really my thing, I don't really get it and I don't even like it. I sit down to do exercises and it feels easy, then I check the answers and the majority of them are wrong and I don't even know what I am doing wrong... Now to the point, I want to become a docor, but if I want to study in Sweden, where I live, then you need all 3 sciences, so at my school you must take Physics + Chemistry HL and do "extra Biology" beside IB. My plan is to study abroad in the UK or Hungary (my country of origin), but I thought that I can play it "safe" so I can apply in Sweden as well (free in Sweden), hence I do all 3 sciences. However, since I don't get Physics and I don't like it, I thought I might change to Biology HL insted since I have a strong background in Biology and I also love it, so that I do Bio + Chem HL instead, but then I can't study in Sweden for sure (only if I do two physics courses  in Swedish school after IB). My question is: should I change to Bio HL and do what I love and get a higher grade (most probably) but be unable to study sciences in Sweden, or should I try to struggle through Physics HL and hope for a good grade??? Thank you all for any inputs, I really can't decide right now!!!

Cheers

Balázs

The thing about Biology HL in IB is that it's really complicated. As I wanted to study medicine at the beggining of IB, I chose biology, which I used to love in lower secondary and always had top scores (all above 95%). Yet, I found out that HL biology is 'slightly' different than what interested me in this area. The new syllabus focuses moslty on molecular structers, amino acides, proteins etc. so it has more to do with theorethical chemistry than biology itself. At the beggining of IB2 I've changed to SL and nowadays biology is my favourite subject once again, while HL was pure nightmare. What I would recomend you to do, is to check out the new syllabus and than decide, because your expectation may vary from reality;)

• Like 1

I would keep the doors to Sweden, too, open. Physics isnt overwhelmingly hard, maybe there is something wrong on your study technique. Have your tried different methods?

I agree that I should have my doors open. I don't know if my study techniques are wrong, I read the book, I read the notes from lessons and I do exercises. Any suggestions maybe???

The thing about Biology HL in IB is that it's really complicated. As I wanted to study medicine at the beggining of IB, I chose biology, which I used to love in lower secondary and always had top scores (all above 95%). Yet, I found out that HL biology is 'slightly' different than what interested me in this area. The new syllabus focuses moslty on molecular structers, amino acides, proteins etc. so it has more to do with theorethical chemistry than biology itself. At the beggining of IB2 I've changed to SL and nowadays biology is my favourite subject once again, while HL was pure nightmare. What I would recomend you to do, is to check out the new syllabus and than decide, because your expectation may vary from reality;)

Very good point Ola! Actually, most of the "extra Biology" is from IB Bio HL course since it's the same teacher, and also I have Bio HL past papers + a Bio HL book at home. I am very interested in both biology and chemistry, so the biochemical part sounds very fun to me like a mix of all the things I love :P Also, the teacher is awesome, she knows her subject inside and out and makes interesting lessons! I know that I am biased, since I WANT Bio HL but you know when your heart and mind tell you different things... XD    

In that case maybe you should take biology HL in school along with chemistry and as long as you need the extra science subject, do physics outside of school.If you don't get something, it's always easier when someone expalins it to you tête-à-tête and adjust the teching path to your preferences and abilities. Maybe that's how you can keep your options open? 

• Like 1

A question: I'm considering taking four HL subjects(Physics,Bio,Chem and English). People who have taken these subjects at HL, what can I expect?

Also, I already have all of the HL books for the subjects im taking and I have a study schedule set up so that i study atleast 30 hours outside of school/week

I am currently in Pre-IB

A question: I'm considering taking four HL subjects(Physics,Bio,Chem and English). People who have taken these subjects at HL, what can I expect?

Also, I already have all of the HL books for the subjects im taking and I have a study schedule set up so that i study atleast 30 hours outside of school/week

I am currently in Pre-IB

Taking 4 HLs is commonly not recommended, while taking 4 HLs that include 3 science subjects might be a suicide. You shouldn't worry about Enghlish HL at all(whether it's English A or B) beacuse it's easy. But when it comes to the rest, even taking only Biol and Chem on HL requires a lot from you, beacuse the programm is constructed in accordance to normal paths that include only 2 scientific subjects and even than it's more than enough. I think that taking the fourth HL from the scientific group might be overwhelming. Remember the preIB is just a beggining and the level of difficultie rise from year to year. I had 4 HLs in the first semmester of IB1 (biol, chem, english B, geography) and eventhough geography and english are pleasureable, it was a bit too much. Keep in mind that you will have 3/2 other subjects on SL and additional work connected with TOK and CAS and there's a reason why normally you have a choice of only 3 HLs...

I am currently in Pre-IB

I'd say it's too much and I don't know what the point of it could be. Also, doesn't it mean you have to take 7 subjects/do an irregular diploma as well? 

Also, 30h of studying a week, on top of the time you spend at school, is a suicidal amount. It's way too much and you won't actually be particularly productive for most of them, so you'll just be making yourself incredibly tired. Especially in pre-IB, there really is no point

Thank you guys very much for your advice. However, the reason I'm thinking of taking 4 HL's is because I'd very much like to get into Oxford med school and it says that I need all three sciences at HL OR two of the sciences at HL and Math at HL. Math isn't really my strong suit so I'm planning on taking the three sciences.

And yes, that does mean that iI have to get an irregular diploma, but I'm willing to do so, I might drop English.

You guys's advice was extremely helpful and cleared up a lot of things for me, so I am very grateful for that.

Thanks,

Nik

Edited by fardnikIB

Thank you guys very much for your advice. However, the reason I'm thinking of taking 4 HL's is because I'd very much like to get into Oxford med school and it says that I need all three sciences at HL OR two of the sciences at HL and Math at HL. Math isn't really my strong suit so I'm planning on taking the three sciences.

And yes, that does mean that iI have to get an irregular diploma, but I'm willing to do so, I might drop English.

You guys's advice was extremely helpful and cleared up a lot of things for me, so I am very grateful for that.

Thanks,

Nik

That's not what Oxford requires: 

"Candidates are required to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level. Please note that we have no preference for whether the third or fourth A-level subject (or further subject in equivalent qualifications) is a science or not."

​This almost explicitly says, that they don't want 3 sciences: they want 2 sciences Chemistry + Biology/Physics, then possibly Maths. There is no and/or for Physics. 

Thanks,

Nik

"Candidates are required to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level. Please note that we have no preference for whether the third or fourth A-level subject (or further subject in equivalent qualifications) is a science or not."

​This almost explicitly says, that they don't want 3 sciences: they want 2 sciences Chemistry + Biology/Physics, then possibly Maths. There is no and/or for Physics. 

So this means that I'll be considered for admission if i take only two sciences at HL? Becuase i really don't want to take math unless I really have to

Thanks,

Nik

So this means that I'll be considered for admission if i take only two sciences at HL? Becuase i really don't want to take math unless I really have to

Nope, you don't need to. You can drop down to Maths SL :) 

Thanks,

Nik

You absolutely will be. Biology and Chemistry are the most standard combination, I believe. One of our Administrator, Sandwich (she's not very active these days cause she's in the clinical stage of her med degree, or whatever it's called), took Chem and Bio HL, and Maths SL, had an interview at Oxford and ended up at UCL. :) 

You can email admissions if that will make you feel more certain. :)

Just bear in mind that entry into Oxford is extremely competitive and into Oxford med is beyond competitive. So don't get your heart set