Graphing Calculators!

Wazsupb

Our school lends out TI-83's to all students from about Grade 9 upwards. You pay a $100 deposit and if you want to get your money back, you return it. If you need it for university, you can keep it. Works out pretty well, since $100 is cheaper than usual (my old one cost $110).

The TI's are also good value for money since they don't run out of battery very easily and also don't break. I have had mine for 2 years now, still haven't changed the battery and I'm forever dropping it on the floor. Not even a scratch.

What's the difference between the TI-84 and the TI-83? And does anyone know what is the most "sophisticated" calculator that you are allowed to use in exams, according to IB regulations? My friends in the French school have ones that include entire formulas and equations, I know that we aren't allowed to use them.

Your calc should have come with some USB cable of sorts, which you can use to link it to your computer. Either that or some I/O to I/O cable which you can use to link two calculators together.

To send files, on the sender calculator go to (2nd function) Link -> Program -> (choose the program) -> send. On the recieving calculator go to Link -> receive. You have to put the receiving calculator on receiving mode before you send stuff on the other one, I think.

Thanks. Do you know where I can get the programs? Can I find them for free on the net, or do I need to know someone who already has them on their calculator?

It is impossible to pass IB math (anything) without a GDC as some questions require you to specifically use GDC. Also even in Studies you would need it for stats etc. So buy one!

Keep in mind you shouldn't be too dependent on added on programs as you're not allowed to keep those in the exams but have to delete them. So just go with what your GDC gives you