Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Mine was in Geography:

Compare and contrast how rural and urban landscapes affect the water quality of the Barwon River, Australia.

Others I know of are:

English:

How does Toni Morrison position the reader's moral judgements towards the way the women in Sula and Beloved experience and manifest love?

What is the literary function of the dialogue between language and nature in David malouf's An Imaginary Life

How does Joyce utilise distinct narrative voices and how does this evolve thoughout Dubliners?

Geography:

To what extent is the Melbourne Docklands a successful case study of urban renewal.

Physics:

To what extent does the decay of µ-mesons (muons) give evidence to support the phenomenon of time dilation as specified in Einstein's theory of Special Relativity.

• Like 2

Mine is basically a comparison between poems of two female poets (one from the 600s and the other from late 1900s) who have both lost their brothers. How does their mourning poetic language contribute to the strength of emotions and overall understanding of the poem?

Here are other examples that I know of:

English A1: The Role of Media in Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World' and George Orwell's '1984'.

Religious Imagery in 'Wuthering Heights' and 'Jane Eyre'.

Spanish A1: The Treatment of Social Conflict in 'La Busca' by Pio Baroja.

Colour Symbolism in the Poetry of Antonio Machado.

Biology: The Competitive and Evolutionary Nature of the Symbiotic Relationship in Paramecium.

Gel Electrophoresis. The Construction of an Apparatus and the Separation of Proteins in Heat Treated Cow Milk.

History: An Analysis of the First Five-Year Plans of Mao Zedong and Stalin.

An Analysis of the Role of Women under Hitler's Regime.

ITGS: An Investigation Assessing the Degree to which IT can Meet the Needs of Physically Impaired Individuals.

A Comparative Study of the Effectiveness of the Laws of Colombia and China regarding the Protection of Personal Data.

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day everyone :blink:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ahhh, why does everyone`s topics sound so freaken smart....

History: To what extent did Empress Wu Zetian’s ascent to power counter Confucian principles?

yea..i know my topic doesnt sound as smart as everyone else`s but damn, my supervisor made me change it so many times before getting to this. took me like a month to get her to approve my topic.. T.T

• Like 2

ahhh, why does everyone`s topics sound so freaken smart....

History: To what extent did Empress Wu Zetian’s ascent to power counter Confucian principles?

yea..i know my topic doesnt sound as smart as everyone else`s but damn, my supervisor made me change it so many times before getting to this. took me like a month to get her to approve my topic.. T.T

well mine was "Islamic architecture" when I started :blink: it developed from there, it'll sound smart when you've done with everything hehe

I mean I'd go with: "write the essay, then fix the title to suit it". that's what I did..

mine was:

Arabic B: "Islamic Architecture, to what extent were the Islamic elements portrayed in the King Abdullah the 1st's mosque in Amman-Jordan"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paupau89

Mine is about Juana de Ibarbourou, an Uruguayan poet and how did she see and express her idea of love. Im doing it in spanish (A1) as spanish is my native language... I am having a lot of troube thinking about how my research quesion and my title :D are going to be!!!

Guest SpectralRaven

I'm thinking mine will have something to do with the hero's journey in Star Wars and how this correlates to other great heroes in other literature/ mythology.

...I hope. :/

Guest claytee
Want to share the title of your extended essay?

Or perhaps need help choosing one?

This is the place.

Psychology - The Psychology of Road Rage: A discussion of psychological explanations of road rage and policy implications.

I am going to try physics and quantum computing, however, I have to refine it after some reading.

Guest dr34mXXX

hi I'm doing mine on A1.

I was thinking of doing a comparative essay of the appearance and reality in Shakespeare's plays King Lear and Richard III

Any suggestions?

English A1: An examination of goodness and evil in children's popular fantasy fiction with specific reference to C. S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

You know I was rereading my EE just now and I realised, I'd love to write this essay after the release of Deathly Hallows. There would be so much more (probably too much) to talk about, with Dumbledore. Not to mention Harry's "death" is strange parallel to Aslan's death as well.

Anyway, in my EE, I wrote this:

Voldemort fears Dumbledore because Dumbledore knows him too well. Dumbledore alone sees and understands the way Voldemort’s mind works.

Now it struck as how ironic that above sentence is. Dumbledore does understand Voldemort's evil tendencies a lot more than I realised at the time of writing that, considering he once had dreams of conquering the world himself..

Mine is about Juana de Ibarbourou, an Uruguayan poet and how did she see and express her idea of love. Im doing it in spanish (A1) as spanish is my native language... I am having a lot of troube thinking about how my research quesion and my title :lol: are going to be!!!

Seems a bit broad. You may want to narrow it down to maybe, how she expresses her idea of love through a specific channel, like through the use of language or imagery or something.

Ever considered doing a comparison between 2 poets though? They encourage A1 EEs to be a comparison between 1 authors since a) it gets your title to be a bit more focused as you will have to talk about 2 works, and b ) they just like comparisons in general.

Interesting. For a moment I was thinking of Ci Xi here. :P

Anyway, I'm trying to think how it didn't counter Confucian principles. But then, this period of Chinese history is not one I was ever terribly interested in or overly familiar with.

I'm thinking mine will have something to do with the hero's journey in Star Wars and how this correlates to other great heroes in other literature/ mythology.

Star Wars constitutes as literature? Is this in A1 or some other subject?

Hey, just starting my extended essay, I know its going to be an English EE on James Joyce's Ulysses, just not sure exactly what aspect of the book yet. Is it OK to do an entire EE on just one theme, or is that generally too narrow?

Thanks

Well, I know the IBO generally encourage you do to a comparison of 2 works/authors in your A1 EE. It not only gives the essay more depth but also it forces you to narrow your topic down as you have 2 works to talk about. Otherwise you'd have a ery broad title that could send you waffling about nonsense.

The idea of narrow enough or not depends entirely on your book, obviously. The idea is, if you can adequately answer your thesis question within the word limit, then you are fine. What are you thinking of for a title?

• Like 2

Well, my EE is in English B, its more cultural than literature, it is about Euthanasia and its acceptance by ethics and morals, basically this is it, amo almost dont with it but still not sure about the title, i am waiting until the title gets smarter !! (as LC said) lol, and i still didnt write the abstract..

the title will only get smarter after your done with it :lol:

and almost all my teachers advised us all to write the abstract after we've finished the essay because we would have a clearer idea of what "we want to do" when we're done with it :P

I'm writing mine on factors that negotiate and embodies the homosexual identity of the protagonist in Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson.

Use to love it. Now I don't. I'm thinking of changing it to specifiy it even more as to only focus on the mother's role on the protagonist's identity but still not sure. Have to write my first draft which is going to be very long and then discuss it with my supervisor.

bah I want to do a compare and contrast....... but i'm not sure which two books to choose from...

hm... i have a couple of ideas...the first is comparing ...archetypes, themes, and ...basically tragic heroes/villains ...one from Richard III (richard himself) and wuthering heights (victor).

then there's comparing the heroes journey thing....thinking... odyssey and.....epic of gilgamesh..?

AND ......then lol just finished harry potter...and my wild idea: FIT VOLDEMORT INTO THE VILLAIN THING...and compare with richard III ?

meh just wild idea......

ahh not sure what to choose .... what do you guys think? (my advisor isn't replying......sigh)

@aqua: To be honest, I would think a discussion about tragic herosim or villainy in Richard III would probably be considered overdone and cliched. What you have to ask yourself is, can you come up with an original argument that doesn't repeat what scholars and criiques have talked about a million times before? Or are you going to just repeat what others have already said. If the latter, drop that idea *now*! (no offense)

then there's comparing the heroes journey thing....thinking... odyssey and.....epic of gilgamesh..?

What about the hero's journey?

AND ......then lol just finished harry potter...and my wild idea: FIT VOLDEMORT INTO THE VILLAIN THING...and compare with richard III ?

Interesting. Of the 3 ideas you've given, I actually like this best. Honestly, authors like Shakespeare and Bronte have been written about to death. HP is on its way to get to being that as well. However the combination of HP and Shakespeare I think is still unusual and I think you could take advantage of that. If you were to develop this idea further, what do you have in mind?

Guest hatteru
Want to share the title of your extended essay?

Or perhaps need help choosing one?

This is the place.

Psychology - The Psychology of Road Rage: A discussion of psychological explanations of road rage and policy implications.

Mine's in English A1 - An examination of the role of cars and vehicles in Tim Winton's 'The Turning' - Talk about headache material, but I LOVE the book.

@aqua: To be honest, I would think a discussion about tragic herosim or villainy in Richard III would probably be considered overdone and cliched. What you have to ask yourself is, can you come up with an original argument that doesn't repeat what scholars and criiques have talked about a million times before? Or are you going to just repeat what others have already said. If the latter, drop that idea *now*! (no offense)

What about the hero's journey?

Interesting. Of the 3 ideas you've given, I actually like this best. Honestly, authors like Shakespeare and Bronte have been written about to death. HP is on its way to get to being that as well. However the combination of HP and Shakespeare I think is still unusual and I think you could take advantage of that. If you were to develop this idea further, what do you have in mind?

In my opinion, a literature EE on harry Potter wouldn't work. Dont get me wrong, I love Harry Potter, and I think it was a great read, and JK Rowling is an absolute genius, but I just dont think that examiners would be very impressed - I mean, it's really a childrens story, and doesnt compare at all with shakespear and the likes. Although I agree that some literature is getting a bit 'done to death', maybe you could go for something a bit more obscure? I've heard that examiners really like reading about things they haven't heard of. :lol:

I agree with you, hatteru, somewhat. IT really depends on the examiner you get. Some may love the idea, some may not, so you may be gambling a bit if you do go through with that idea. I realised that when I chose to do my EE on HP and C. S. Lewis. I knew there was a huge chance I could get a really anal examiner who would hate the whole idea of doing EE on children's literature but I wanted to do something I enjoyed so Iwent through with that anyway. Didn't get a half bad grade in the end. But it was still a risk.

And yes, something more obscure would be a better choice. Try something not originally written in English

hm yeah i see what you guys mean..... i've been looking for books not originally written in English and so far, and I have read a hindu one (Sakuntala heard of it?) ....hm...I was thinking about comparing and contrasting the romantic symbols between this book and Romeo and Juliet...

It seems a bit strange to compare a "happily ever after" type to a tragedy though.

My other idea was to analyse why...people enjoy tragedies (and even horror stories). A lot of Shakespeare's most famous works are tragedies and most of them include killings of some sort. Some even have..gruesome descriptions of evil acts (poking out eyeballs in King Lear). Basically, I'm thinking of talking about why it is that people crave tragedies and horror stories...i can think of 7 reasons for now. But, I'm not sure if this is more in the area of English or...psychology/philosophy. :lol: so confused...

edit [9 HOURS LATER]:

never mind, I think I'm going to compare and contrast the journey of jason (jason and the argonauts) and akhenaten: dweller in truth.

Edited by aqua