Extended Essay

Survival Robot

• 4 weeks later...

Can somebody help me w/ mine? I wanna do it in history and the tactics the Nazis used against the Jews that made them so afraid to revolt against them and how the uprisings that did happen failed.. Everyone is telling me to change my topic but I really don't want to!

Can somebody help me w/ mine? I wanna do it in history and the tactics the Nazis used against the Jews that made them so afraid to revolt against them and how the uprisings that did happen failed.. Everyone is telling me to change my topic but I really don't want to!

I can see why everyone is telling you to change your topic. It's because the answer is very obvious: fear and intimidation; strength of numbers and military personnel. Your essay in this case will be more of a description rather than an investigation because there is no debate in what you're researching.

I can see why everyone is telling you to change your topic. It's because the answer is very obvious: fear and intimidation; strength of numbers and military personnel. Your essay in this case will be more of a description rather than an investigation because there is no debate in what you're researching.

What about if my question is around "To what extent did the Nazis fear tactics work on the Jews?" and use the uprisings as an example of how it may not have worked, and the times when they didn't fight back to when it could have worked? Or is this too simple?

What about if my question is around "To what extent did the Nazis fear tactics work on the Jews?" and use the uprisings as an example of how it may not have worked, and the times when they didn't fight back to when it could have worked? Or is this too simple?

Sorry, mate. It is too simple. It's no secret that the Jews were practically exterminated as a result of Nazi actions. Whatever opposition they posed was clearly too disorganised/weak to even make a dent. You can still write on this, but when you get to the research phase, you will hit considerable roadblocks.

Besides, anything related to the World Wars/Cold War is so overdone to death at this point. You will have that uphill battle to contend with as well.

Sorry, mate. It is too simple. It's no secret that the Jews were practically exterminated as a result of Nazi actions. Whatever opposition they posed was clearly too disorganised/weak to even make a dent. You can still write on this, but when you get to the research phase, you will hit considerable roadblocks.

Besides, anything related to the World Wars/Cold War is so overdone to death at this point. You will have that uphill battle to contend with as well.

Do you think writing about the reactions of the Jews or the reasoning as to why America and other countries didn't step in sooner would make a good topic/question? The holocaust really fascinates me and I don't know what else I could really write my EE on.

I was thinking maybe forming an argument as to whether the USSR and US not stepping in soon enough or why they didn't? I really need help starting out.

Do you think writing about the reactions of the Jews or the reasoning as to why America and other countries didn't step in sooner would make a good topic/question? The holocaust really fascinates me and I don't know what else I could really write my EE on.

I was thinking maybe forming an argument as to whether the USSR and US not stepping in soon enough or why they didn't? I really need help starting out.

That honestly seems like you're grasping at straws.

If you look at this post you will see that there's scarcely an area/avenue about the Holocaust that hasn't been explored, written about, analysed and hypothesised about. There is very little you can contribute to this discussion that is in any way, remotely new or original, or even interesting. Which is why you're encouraged not to pursue this route. That's not to say that you won't get a high grade on such a topic, just that getting that grade will be much harder than it needs to be.

The best suggestion is to pick an event/incident from your own local history. It doesn't have to be something everyone knows about. You can write about your own town/city in America and some aspect of its local history from any point in time.

You need to realise that the IA is not really all about you. If you want a high grade and you want to do well in it, you should also keep in mind what the examiner marking your IA would feel/think about your topic. If he is most likely going to groan and roll his eyes as soon as he reads your topic (which is likely the minute he zeroes in on "holocaust"), you've already lost the battle and now you're going to have to scrimmage your way to victory.

But the choice is, yours. You can keep posting here and I can keep telling you what I think about your topics. It's no sweat off my back. But chances are you're not really going to come up with anything groundbreaking. The only time I've backed down and accepted that someone has had an amazing History topic related to the World War period is when said student was writing about Nazi-inspired architecture and the history of Berlin's buildings and designs. That is unconventional.

I hope that helps!

That honestly seems like you're grasping at straws.

If you look at this post you will see that there's scarcely an area/avenue about the Holocaust that hasn't been explored, written about, analysed and hypothesised about. There is very little you can contribute to this discussion that is in any way, remotely new or original, or even interesting. Which is why you're encouraged not to pursue this route. That's not to say that you won't get a high grade on such a topic, just that getting that grade will be much harder than it needs to be.

The best suggestion is to pick an event/incident from your own local history. It doesn't have to be something everyone knows about. You can write about your own town/city in America and some aspect of its local history from any point in time.

You need to realise that the IA is not really all about you. If you want a high grade and you want to do well in it, you should also keep in mind what the examiner marking your IA would feel/think about your topic. If he is most likely going to groan and roll his eyes as soon as he reads your topic (which is likely the minute he zeroes in on "holocaust"), you've already lost the battle and now you're going to have to scrimmage your way to victory.

But the choice is, yours. You can keep posting here and I can keep telling you what I think about your topics. It's no sweat off my back. But chances are you're not really going to come up with anything groundbreaking. The only time I've backed down and accepted that someone has had an amazing History topic related to the World War period is when said student was writing about Nazi-inspired architecture and the history of Berlin's buildings and designs. That is unconventional.

I hope that helps!

The thing is, it is not for an IA it is for my extended essay. My original question was something around the area of how the Nazis used their tactics to scare the Jews so much into getting them to not revolt so much, and using a "to what extent" type of question I was going to use the Warsaw Ghetto uprisings for the contradicting argument. I just don't know how to get started whatsoever, so I then started thinking of doing something along the lines of how the holocaust impacted the Arab-Israeli conflict but I still don't know how to get started on that either.

The thing is, it is not for an IA it is for my extended essay.

That's still the same thing though in terms of RQ prep. The different between a History IA and EE is the word count and specificity of the question and quantity of research, not the process of preparing an RQ or thinking about the area/avenue of research.

My original question was something around the area of how the Nazis used their tactics to scare the Jews so much into getting them to not revolt so much, and using a "to what extent" type of question I was going to use the Warsaw Ghetto uprisings for the contradicting argument.

And as I have opined before, this doesn't sound like a strong argument at all as well.

I then started thinking of doing something along the lines of how the holocaust impacted the Arab-Israeli conflict but I still don't know how to get started on that either.

And I still think this is a weak alternative topic because the Arab-Israeli conflict is just as old and overdone as the holocaust.

But to answer your other query: How to get started? You don't have to have the ideal and perfect RQ neatly prepared even before you start the researching/writing process. My History IA's RQ changed right up until the hour before I submitted its final draft. It's an organic process. Once you've decided your general area of research, going as specific and narrow as you can at this stage, start reading around the topic. Begin the research process. The more you read, the more you will know and the more able you will be to start writing about your topic.

That's how you start: pick a general textbook that covers everything about the conflict/event/time period and get your facts clear before delving in for further reading of more specific effects for your topic.

Edited by Arrowhead

Hi Im planning doing my EE in Visual Arts.

To what extent has the architecture of the Singapore ArtScience museum been a success?

Im planning on doing it by comparing it to other museums that have dramatic architecture. Ones that have been successful and ones that have not been successful.

What do you guys think?

Hello again,

My extended essay is in good progress, but was just wondering whether images or attachments could be added while sending in the final draft of the assignment.

Cheers.

Hello again,

My extended essay is in good progress, but was just wondering whether images or attachments could be added while sending in the final draft of the assignment.

Cheers.

Hello! :) ...quick question:

My EE is on Literature and I need to analyze four poems, should I insert the whole poem when analyzing or should i just refer to the line number and stanza to save some words from the word count? What is preferred by IB?

Hi everyone! I'm writing my extended essay in Psychology, and it will be about sociocultural factors and substance abuse. I'm just not sure how to formulate my research question. First I decided to go with "To what extent are sociocultural factors related to the development of substance abuse?" but I'm not sure if that is good enough. Would it be better to go with "To what extent do sociocultural factors contribute to/affect the development of substance abuse?". Please help me, I just don't know which of these options that would be the most suitable. Thanks!

^I think people who do well at Maths EEs are quite rare? :P Not sure why you want to know, but you can always find exemplars/samples online if that's what you're looking for, or set up an individual topic if you're looking for help/suggestions.

And since there's such a build up of questions in this thread I'll attempt to answer what I can/put in my thoughts, even though perhaps one or two of these are a bit outdated already..

Hi Im planning doing my EE in Visual Arts.

To what extent has the architecture of the Singapore ArtScience museum been a success?

Im planning on doing it by comparing it to other museums that have dramatic architecture. Ones that have been successful and ones that have not been successful.

What do you guys think?

I think it's a fairly good question, (if a little broad) as long as you define success. Just make sure you define success in the introduction straightaway as it'll underpin your entire essay. Maybe even express what you mean by 'success' in the RQ itself, as there is a mark for having the research question specific and focused and I'm not sure if you'll get the mark for that. I.e. if you mean a success aesthetically or innovative success or what?

Hello again,

Cheers.

At my school we just submit hard copies of our extended essay.. so any images we have are usually put into an appendix and referred to in the essay itself. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'attachments'. Perhaps you can put text extracts in an appendix as well as certain calculations, depending on what you're doing/the subject of your EE. If in doubt, ask your EE supervisor/IB coordinator. :)

Hello! :) ...quick question:

My EE is on Literature and I need to analyze four poems, should I insert the whole poem when analyzing or should i just refer to the line number and stanza to save some words from the word count? What is preferred by IB?

I can't claim certainty in what I'm saying at all, but I would think that a Literature EE would be similar to any essay where you integrate quotes throughout your argument and analyse them along the way. If you're doing poems perhaps you could put a complete copy of them in the appendix, although I'm not sure if that's necessary? I feel like you should probably be integrating quotes throughout though, not just referring to the line number. To be certain you should ask your EE supervisor and maybe check out some Literature EE exemplars and samples! :)

Hi everyone, i want to ask can i compare The great gatsby book to the movie or it is not allowed? or what else can i do with this book. what is better to do with this book in EE.

Thanks,

Best regards

Are you looking to do an EE in Group 1? If so, I'm not sure if comparing a book to a movie is allowed or not? I don't think so, upon a brief skim through the EE syllabus, as it doesn't seem to fit into any of the 3 categories, but definitely check this with your IB coordinator if you want to be sure! (because I could be wrong - you should also read the EE syllabus yourself.) There's a lot of things you can do with this book in an EE, even if the Great Gatsby does seem a little bit popular (in that other people have done it before). There's no definite "better" on what you can do with this book for an EE, but my suggestion to you would be to read through the book in close detail and see if there's an event/character/aspect/motif/technique of the book that interests you and seems like something you'd like to investigate! Hopefully you'll find something that you could analyse. You could even pick a specific thing and then compare it in another book if it's quite minor?

Hi everyone! I'm writing my extended essay in Psychology, and it will be about sociocultural factors and substance abuse. I'm just not sure how to formulate my research question. First I decided to go with "To what extent are sociocultural factors related to the development of substance abuse?" but I'm not sure if that is good enough. Would it be better to go with "To what extent do sociocultural factors contribute to/affect the development of substance abuse?". Please help me, I just don't know which of these options that would be the most suitable. Thanks!

I don't do psychology, but I think the second question is better because I'm assuming you're looking into how the factors actually impacted the development of substance abuse. The first question simply implies how factors were 'related' to the development, and 'related' can be understood subjectively in different ways. I can't really tell if there's a big difference between choosing between contribute to/affect though, as they both sound similar/good. You should ask your EE supervisor and see what they think! :)

Edited by bluedino

I don't do psychology, but I think the second question is better because I'm assuming you're looking into how the factors actually impacted the development of substance abuse. The first question simply implies how factors were 'related' to the development, and 'related' can be understood subjectively in different ways. I can't really tell if there's a big difference between choosing between contribute to/affect though, as they both sound similar/good. You should ask your EE supervisor and see what they think! :)

Thank you for your response! :) For now I think I'll go with "To what extent do sociocultural factors affect the development of substance abuse?". But I'm considering to change "substance abuse" to "addictive behavior", though I'm not sure if that make my RQ too broad? And by the way I'm having a hard time finding good studies, so if anyone has any ideas of good webpages with research related to my topic please let me know!

Hey guys. Im interested in doing my ee in psychology, and my idea right now is investigating the relationship between human aesthetics/aesthetics in general, and evolution, e.g. "To what extent is aesthetics a concept of evolution" or something. Obviously this topic kind of falls more into the biology realm, but seeing as a group 4 essay requires actual pracs, it might not work out so well. I guess what Im asking here is how I would go about at catering the question so that its related to psychology, if thats possible at all. Tee-why!

Edited by Cilver

Hello. Im having trouble in finding a topic for my business and management EE. My first idea turned out to be shet and now Im trying to think of a new one. Im interested in doing something about Nokia's and Microsofts cooperation. How could I write my EE about if Nokia should change windows operating system to android? Is a thing I can write my EE on..? Thanks for help.