Extended Essay

Survival Robot

My question is "to what extent can it be argued that anglophone popular culture references have an impact on the development of the coming of age theme in Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley?"

I've talked about how the references made are an aid on the development of the theme. And how if the target audience would have been different, then so would the references made.

Thank you very much for replying and for helping! :D

I'm doing a History EE. My topic is Reinforcement of the British defense of the Imperial colony of Hong Kong in the Battle of Hong Kong, 1941.

Do you think that this topic/my question is specific enough?

My question: "To what extent was the reinforcement in 1941 of British Hong Kong in the Battle of Hong Kong justified?"

Thanks!

Hey everyone, 

My chosen ee RQ is "what has been the economic effect of marijuana legalization on the US economy?"

Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement ? What topics of the syllabus do you think i should cover except for tax revenue, price elasticity and externalities ?

Your input will be extremely appreciated.

Guest moonkyu97

Hey everyone, 

My chosen ee RQ is "what has been the economic effect of marijuana legalization on the US economy?"

Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement ? What topics of the syllabus do you think i should cover except for tax revenue, price elasticity and externalities ?

Your input will be extremely appreciated.

I think that you shouldn't write about its effect on the US in general, but talk about either Colorado or Washington. If you write about the US in general, it would be just a small part of the US economy in the big picture. If you were to write about either Colorado or Washington, it would be easier to see the effect of things like increase in drug tourism from other states, which is a form of injection on the money supply, and tax revenue. You can easily explore both micro and macro economics if you decrease the scope from US to a specific state.

I'm doing a History EE. My topic is Reinforcement of the British defense of the Imperial colony of Hong Kong in the Battle of Hong Kong, 1941.

Do you think that this topic/my question is specific enough?

My question: "To what extent was the reinforcement in 1941 of British Hong Kong in the Battle of Hong Kong justified?"

Thanks!

Hi! This is not a history question - it sounds more like ethics! I don't know anything about the Battle of Hong Kong, but the question could go along the lines of "To what extent did the reinforcement in 1941 of British Hong Kong affect the outcome of the Battle of Hong Kong?" even though it may not be appropriate for this topic, just guessing here. What is imporant is that you deal with history, not ethics. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm writing my EE in Polish Literature. I'm comparing the impact of memories on psyche of Marjane in Persepolis (a graphic novel written by Iranian Marjane Satrapi) and Róża in Cudzoziemka - a novel written by Polish writer Maria Kuncewiczowa. Both characters spend time thinking about the past to avoid confronting the present. Refering to Freud's theories about the reasons for forgetting and remembering I'm going to explain why they do so. Basically, it's going to be almost a psychology essay but since I'm comparing novels it fits Polish Literature just as well.

Edited by Sceptyczka

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still in DP1 but I was thinking to write either about :

• Cellular 'Consciousness' (cell membrane is the actual brain of the cell, not the nucleus) - Biology;
  • or about Power and Knowledge (how knowledge has been preserved, used, transformed, conserved, lost, regained, stolen, etc. throughout history...starting from egyptians to christianity to masons and other fraternities, and how powerful knowing can be) - TOK or/and History.
Edited by Raluca Dascalu

Hi, I'm in IB1 right now and we're expected to at least have our subject chosen for our extended essay by the end of the month. I really don't know what I want to do because right now, I don't have a lot of topic ideas (though a lot of things interest me) and Art, English, History, Biology and Psychology all sound like you could do a really interesting essay in them! Also, English and History (I've heard) are easier. And I'll have a little boost in Biology since I'm from Bermuda and I could do a really Bermuda-focused experiment. 

Do you guys have any tips for choosing a topic or at least a subject? Just any way to narrow it down would be great because I'm a really broad-thinker and it's really hard for me to choose!

(Also, a side note: I think philosophy would be sooooo cool to do an extended essay in. I have a little bit of experience with it and it interests me, but I don't take the class and my school doesn't offer it. It's possible to do an extended essay in a class you're not in, but my IB coordinator said that she'd discourage it because finding a supervisor would be hard... I sort of want to look for a supervisor so I don't have to discount this idea, but it'd probably be  a bad idea because I don't actually do the course... ugh). 

Edited by Howl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We're just starting thinking about our EE topics at school, and I would really appreciate some help with mine :)

I know I want to do something related to international law, human rights, or history, but I can't think of any specific topics.

Thank you!

You have to come up with your own topic, as it's something you're graded on. We can't give you one. Pick a subject first, and then think of an appropriate research question.

• Like 1

My extended essay is going to be in English. We had an extended essay meeting the other day and I wasn't aware that you were supposed to have an idea of your topic beforehand! I made up something on the spot; I said I liked psychological works, and works that dealt with social justice, which is true, just not an idea that's fully formed, or that I thought about much! My English teacher gave me two books to have a look at over the break, and I found out that one of the books is the same one that my brother used for his extended essay when he was in IB. I guess I won't be using that one! :P

My extended essay is going to be in English. We had an extended essay meeting the other day and I wasn't aware that you were supposed to have an idea of your topic beforehand! I made up something on the spot; I said I liked psychological works, and works that dealt with social justice, which is true, just not an idea that's fully formed, or that I thought about much! My English teacher gave me two books to have a look at over the break, and I found out that one of the books is the same one that my brother used for his extended essay when he was in IB. I guess I won't be using that one! :P

My sister and I actually did our extended essays both on the Spanish Civil War (she had no idea I did this two years earlier), but I did practices of the war and she did causes of the war. :P Using the same book your brother did shouldn't be an issue; every year people submit EEs using the same books. I doubt you guys even will have similar topics!

• Like 1

My sister and I actually did our extended essays both on the Spanish Civil War (she had no idea I did this two years earlier), but I did practices of the war and she did causes of the war. :P Using the same book your brother did shouldn't be an issue; every year people submit EEs using the same books. I doubt you guys even will have similar topics!

Haha that is so weird! Older siblings must have had some sort of influence on both of us :P That's good to hear though, cause the book seems really interesting and I'd like to be able to use it.

• 3 weeks later...

see i have a similar problem my one is one video games and to what extent do video games affect cognitive function and spatial reasoning, but that may be psychology, i already made a post on the forum but if anyone can clarify here that would be great aswell.

so is it too much of a psychology thing and does this mean i need a new neuroscience topic?

I'm still in DP1 but I was thinking to write either about :

• Cellular 'Consciousness' (cell membrane is the actual brain of the cell, not the nucleus) - Biology;
  • or about Power and Knowledge (how knowledge has been preserved, used, transformed, conserved, lost, regained, stolen, etc. throughout history...starting from egyptians to christianity to masons and other fraternities, and how powerful knowing can be) - TOK or/and History.

Both of your topics are rather unsuitable, to be honest. The first one I can't say I fully know what it is, but it does seem like something that cannot be investigated. And the general advice for scoring well in a science EE is to do an experiment. It is possible to do a theoretical essay, but from what I've heard it tends to be harder.

You cannot write an EE in TOK (you would have to write it in IB Philosophy - but it's usually not a good idea to write an EE in a subject you don't take), and your topic is wayy too broad for a history EE. Remember, it's supposed to be a topic that can be fully covered in 4000 words! Also, that topic is primarily narrative instead of analytical - another pitfall in a history EE. 

• Like 1

I need some help choosing the proper RQ for my extended essay.

The topic : Wind turbines 

Topic Objectives: The no. of blades and how different speeds of air currents affect the rotational velocity of the wind turbines?

And also the Power outage of the wind turbine.

Is this for an experimental or a theoretical EE? 

I'm assuming this is for a physics EE. "How does the speed of air currents and the number of blades affect the rotational velocity and the power outage of the wind turbines?" could work, although it's messy. Also, are you sure that you can fit all that into your EE? 

see i have a similar problem my one is one video games and to what extent do video games affect cognitive function and spatial reasoning, but that may be psychology, i already made a post on the forum but if anyone can clarify here that would be great aswell.

so is it too much of a psychology thing and does this mean i need a new neuroscience topic?

What is your current subject? If you can't immediately tell what subject you're writing in, that usually means that the question is not entirely suitable. It does sound like a psych topic to me, though. Do you take psychology? If not, I'd highly advice you against writing your EE in that subject.

• Like 1