Extended Essay

Survival Robot

see i have a similar problem my one is one video games and to what extent do video games affect cognitive function and spatial reasoning, but that may be psychology, i already made a post on the forum but if anyone can clarify here that would be great aswell.

so is it too much of a psychology thing and does this mean i need a new neuroscience topic?

What is your current subject? If you can't immediately tell what subject you're writing in, that usually means that the question is not entirely suitable. It does sound like a psych topic to me, though. Do you take psychology? If not, I'd highly advice you against writing your EE in that subject.

thanks, i figured that would be the case :(

well i have more options after doing more reading and focusing more on syllabus related content, i created a new post detailing more of this and i think its probably at the bottom in the also tagged section (is for me anyway) so if you can take a look there that would be extremely helpful thanks :)

I need some help choosing the proper RQ for my extended essay.

The topic : Wind turbines 

Topic Objectives: The no. of blades and how different speeds of air currents affect the rotational velocity of the wind turbines?

And also the Power outage of the wind turbine.

Is this for an experimental or a theoretical EE? 

I'm assuming this is for a physics EE. "How does the speed of air currents and the number of blades affect the rotational velocity and the power outage of the wind turbines?" could work, although it's messy. Also, are you sure that you can fit all that into your EE? 

Yah, I have formulated my RQ and compacted and used a different variable. So, instead of the quantity of blades I'm going with the shape of the blade; and this is a very promising variable. So, my RQ is How does the blade design of a wind turbine affect its rotational velocity and power output?

Edited by Hrishi98

Topic Objectives: The no. of blades and how different speeds of air currents affect the rotational velocity of the wind turbines?

I'm assuming this is for a physics EE. "How does the speed of air currents and the number of blades affect the rotational velocity and the power outage of the wind turbines?" could work, although it's messy. Also, are you sure that you can fit all that into your EE? 

Yah, I have formulated my RQ and compacted and used a different variable. So, instead of the quantity of blades I'm going with the shape of the blade; and this is a very promising variable. So, my RQ is How does the blade design of a wind turbine affect its rotational velocity and power output?

Sounds interesting! Good luck with your EE ^_^

Sounds interesting! Good luck with your EE ^_^

Thanks and Good luck for your exams (I think?) it says exams in May 2015

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I've recently begun the EE process, and I am doing World Studies. My problem  is I don't know what subjects I can use for the interdisciplinary study. Is there a list of subjects on the IB website or is it specific to each school?

Thanks!

I am thinking of a world studies too - let me know if you hear about this! - Do you know if a world studies is really more work, I have heard lots of people saying this and I don't really want to add to the pressures too much more...

Hello everyone,

I've recently begun the EE process, and I am doing World Studies. My problem  is I don't know what subjects I can use for the interdisciplinary study. Is there a list of subjects on the IB website or is it specific to each school?

Thanks!

I am thinking of a world studies too - let me know if you hear about this! - Do you know if a world studies is really more work, I have heard lots of people saying this and I don't really want to add to the pressures too much more...

I couldn't find a list of subjects offered, but I realized the subjects I had chosen (human rights, international poltiics) were actual IB subjects, so I can use them. I'd recommend talking to your IB Supervisor, they can help!

I've actually heard that World Studies is less work since most of the research you have to do yourself, so you have lots of options. The easiest would probably be english, but i think world studies is more interesting so I chose it.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ib students :)

I have just started thinking about my EE topic.

I was thinking...

Happily Ever After vs Tragedy

Disney vs Shakespeare 

idk what to do yet, but I'm sure that I want it based on the English Subject.
What do you guys think..? Any suggestions? 

Hi there! 

I'm doing my EE in English B and I struggle with a suitable topic. I have a lot of ideas, but just dunno if I could write 4000 words on any. 

My original idea was naming in the Harry Potter series - you know, the symbolism behind it etc., but a lot of people here say that Harry Potter never gets good grades and is way too popular for a topic. 

I'm also very interested in feminism and thought about pairing it up with fairytales somehow, like how fairytales portray women or something.

Or maybe a RQ like "How are women represented in magazine advertisements?"

I love Disney films and I also thought about "How has Disney's portrayal of main female roles changed as women's rights have advanced?

I'm also considering the idea of the role/portrayal of women in the 1920 America as shown in F.S. Fitzgerald's works, or anything about the 1920s culture and Fitzgerald or the flapper girls, I just really love it, but no research question comes to my mind.

The last idea is pretty random and I don't even know if I could analyse TV series for an EE, but... I was wondering if I could maybe analyse political incorrectness in the show Friends? They make a lot of sexist, borderline homophobic jokeks there, and I must admit, it seems tempting to choose it as a topic. 

Can you please help me with phrasing RQs out of that messy thoughts of mine? 

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I am doing an EE in Biology, but I want it to include lasers.  My friend is the same way.  I thought of an idea, but he stole it from me.  The idea I "gave" him was how plants react to extreme amounts of light.  Now, I am clueless as to what to do.  I could do how animal cells reacted, but not only would it be too hard to see the changes, I would also not have a suitable experimental subject.  So.... any help would be appreciated.

I wanted to do the essay on the difference in the treatment of animals in the US, the UK and Jamaica. Its supposed to be a world studies essay but, not completely sure if it will work.

I am not sure that that will work.  It's too broad of a topic to comprehend.  Perhaps you should attempt to recognize a couple differences and then compare those differences thoroughly.

So I currently have a (very) rough RQ which is To what extent was Nazi popularity due to their eugenics policy?

I don't know if to what extent is actually the way I want to go, because what I really want to know is whether the Nazis were popular because of their eugenics policy or despite their eugenics policy. 

How can I word this question better?

• Like 1

Dear All,

although it maybe a bit late enjoying this discussion but I am really doubtful whether I should choose investigating the Monty hall problem for my internal assessment in math HL and aside from proving it, try it with 4 doors or even do some surveys with ordinary people ( around 100 people) and evaluate the answers with their reasoning.

Please do help me cause I am running out of time to tell my supervisor what my topic is.

have a nice time, 

So I currently have a (very) rough RQ which is To what extent was Nazi popularity due to their eugenics policy?

I don't know if to what extent is actually the way I want to go, because what I really want to know is whether the Nazis were popular because of their eugenics policy or despite their eugenics policy. 

How can I word this question better?

I've updated my question and it's now To what extent did the German public support Nazi eugenic policies?