Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Hi, I don´t know yet what am I going to make my EE from, but I was certainly getting involved with something related to cinema.

I was thinking of making it in Language1, with something related to Stanley Kubrick's film: "2001: A Space Odyssey", and how this film had an influence in future science fiction movies, or maybe how does it can be considered as an accurate representation of our present.

Any suggestions? maybe some ideas about analyzing movies? what movie can I analyze in language 1? should I do my EE with this film? 

Edited by Alonso Rivas

6 hours ago, Alonso Rivas said:

Hi, I don´t know yet what am I going to make my EE from, but I was certainly getting involved with something related to cinema.

I was thinking of making it in Language1, with something related to Stanley Kubrick's film: "2001: A Space Odyssey", and how this film had an influence in future science fiction movies, or maybe how does it can be considered as an accurate representation of our present.

Any suggestions? maybe some ideas about analyzing movies? what movie can I analyze in language 1? should I do my EE with this film? 

You would have to do a Film EE if you were to do this, and what's more is that generally students are discouraged from trying to analyze the influence of an artistic work in a 4000 word essay as it is nearly impossible. You'd have to study multiple other movies, referring to them and back to the original; I would not recommend it. With your second thesis, I'm not quite sure what you mean but it sounds better. But I'd say this is a certainly a film EE. If you read the EE guide, you'll also see that. I know they say "films" can be part of category 3 texts but if you look at their examples and descriptions it's clear that they aren't referring to obras cinematográficas (I couldn't really think of a good way to put that in English :huh:  :D).

• Like 1

I am junior and we are starting our EE and I need a research question. I am really interested in Chemistry and want to in some way relate my ee topic to medicine as well as chemistry since I want to pursue a career in medicine. I want to stray away from a topic that involves caffeine in something etc, as well as aspirin since they always come up when talking about Chemistry EE. I am very indecisive and unsure so I could really use the help! Thank youuu:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The subject for my EE is Social and Cultural Anthropology. My School doesn't offer that as a course, but I thought that I would do just fine learning Cultural and Social Anthropology on my own. BIG Mistake, I don't even know if I am doing the right research and my supervisor, the only teacher in my school with knowledge of Social and Cultural anthropology, doesn't fully remember everything from his college course. It's way to late to change my subject and the essay is due when I come back from break on the 3rd....CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!

Here are the titles that I have so far...I don't know if these are correct.... 

Japanese Culture: Global, Political and Medial enforced bias    
The authenticity of Japanese Conformism: in context of Global and Medial enforced bias    

Edited by What's Sleep?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I'm thinking of writing my EE based on Disney's Frozen since I enjoy movies so much and deep down in me I'm a big fan of Disney movies :rolleyes:

My RQ would be "How does the portrayal of gender stereotypes in Disney's Frozen effect the self esteem of children in the US?"

1. Is it narrow enough? Or should I narrow it down to female/male stereotypes? Is 'self esteem' specific enough?

2. This is under category 2b right? Please correct me if I'm wrong 

Thanks in advance for helping :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys

Im doing my EE on chemistry and i have no idea what to do. I was thinking maybe something to do with medicine, but if you have any ideas about anything i would love to hear them. Im quite desperate and slightly lost :P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, woofwoof725 said:

Hi! I am writing a Literature paper that compares and contrasts the theme of the power of language in Markus Zusak's "The Book Thief", and "Dante's Inferno". 

My question is: How should I format my EE? i.e paragraph 1: theme in The Book Thief, p 2: theme in the Inferno.... I don't really know

Yep, that would work. As long as you are consistent.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, 

I need some help with choosing my EE topic. I want to do it in chemistry. I have some brief ideas of what I want to do.

• The impact on the reaction rate due to different sound frequencies.
  • The effectiveness of different factors that affect reaction rate. (for example: increase solution temp by 5 degrees and compare this to another rate when a catalyst is added).

• The effect of the chemical composition of a nebula on its emission spectra.

But I've heard that in Chemistry it's likely I'll get a higher grade by doing an experiment and it would be tough to conduct an experiment for the astronomy topic but I'm interested in astronomy. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

• 3 weeks later...

People who had read The Outsiders pls help

English A - Category 1: Up to what extent the author S. E. Hinton demonstrates the reality of social classes through the narrator by the use of language throughout ‘The Outsiders’?

I have to submit 50% by Friday and I have 0 words :))

Edited by ivhannacarpio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! I am planning to write my essay on English B, with the topic most likely being religious imagery and themes in the Narnia Chronicles. However I didn’t find many sources but I do think I can get and analyze the content by myself. Would having very little sources be bad? Can I use articles that analyze religion in different books? 

Thanks a lot :)

hey guys,

So i need to start looking at my ee and im kind of late, since its kinda already december lol

I was thinking of writing smth related to heraclitus a seminar and heraclitus: the cosmic fragments

I dont know how to put it into a question thou or if it is a good idea since its for english lit. 

Thxxx i really need help

anne x

Hey, currently suffering from ib stress. I’m having trouble finding a suitable topic thats not overdone that I’m really interested in. I know I want to do it in English. Here are my ideas so far:

Comparing The painting by dorian gray to another novel (not sure what) or looking at the fairytale and Greek allusions found in the book

Comparing the Iliad to another book (again, not sure) discussing fate vs free will or something

Suggestions?

On 12/11/2018 at 9:37 PM, ibsucks532 said:

Hey, currently suffering from ib stress. I’m having trouble finding a suitable topic thats not overdone that I’m really interested in. I know I want to do it in English. Here are my ideas so far:

Comparing The painting by dorian gray to another novel (not sure what) or looking at the fairytale and Greek allusions found in the book

Comparing the Iliad to another book (again, not sure) discussing fate vs free will or something

Suggestions?

Hey.

A Picture of Dorian Grey is a very funny, really good book. From reading your post, I get the impression that you're kind of stressed. That's completely normal and okay. I was an emotional wreck when I was writing mine. My first piece of advice is just to think about perspective. You'll do fine on the EE. You'll do your best and that will be that. Agonizing over it is inevitable to an extent, but just try to limit that and just be confident in your choices. 

I also liked the Illiad too. So I think your choices are good. My suggestion for the book that you compare to is that that book be one that you like. And decide what angle your going to play; your topic/thesis; before you get into a lot of heavy analysis work. That's not to say it won't change or evolve; it certainly can and that's great if you decide to do that later on, but just starting with something will help you to get off the ground and running. Cheers.