Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Hey guys! I'm having a lot of trouble with my EE topic and trying to narrow the focus of my paper. My question is: How did Westernization in 19th Century Meiji Japan Change the Path of the Country's Development?

I wrote a rough draft that mostly had background information (within it, I discussed the political, cultural, and social changes that occurred and I only got to about 2,000. Granted I had less information back then.) but I'm afraid I won't be able to hit 4,000 words. I've been trying to get info for the paper but I don't even know where to go at this point. I have another rough draft due in 3 weeks and I could really appreciate any feedback as to how I could go about the paper so I can finish my rough draft.

Thank you  :) 

Maybe you can focus on a specific timeframe and westernization by a specific country if there was one that played an especially large role in westernization? 

Hey guys! I'm having a lot of trouble with my EE topic and trying to narrow the focus of my paper. My question is: How did Westernization in 19th Century Meiji Japan Change the Path of the Country's Development?

I wrote a rough draft that mostly had background information (within it, I discussed the political, cultural, and social changes that occurred and I only got to about 2,000. Granted I had less information back then.) but I'm afraid I won't be able to hit 4,000 words. I've been trying to get info for the paper but I don't even know where to go at this point. I have another rough draft due in 3 weeks and I could really appreciate any feedback as to how I could go about the paper so I can finish my rough draft.

Thank you  :) 

Maybe you can focus on a specific timeframe and westernization by a specific country if there was one that played an especially large role in westernization? 

I have a specific time frame (1868-1912) that I focus on, so I've got that down. In terms of countries, it was an overall influence played by various countries, so I have to include most European countries and the US. I just feel so lost with this paper right now and I'm honestly scared for the upcoming deadlines.  

For the structure of my paper, I go from talking about the previous time frame and the way Japan was set up, next I shift it to the events that caused Westernization and then I talk about the changes that were made within the new era (I'm still trying to gather a lot of info for that section because it's a lot to organize it into the paper.) I wanted to compare both time periods, compare the new modernized Japanese society and Western society, and also talk about the possibilities of how Japan could have developed if westernization did not occur. From there, I'd draw my conclusions based on the info I presented earlier. 

That's the idea I have for my paper, but I don't know, I guess it's just the lack of information I have that's scaring me? It's hard trying to find scholarly books in my local libraries and the universities make it difficult to check out textbooks that have the vital information I need. 

Edited by molang_

I'm working on my Extended Essay and I know I want to write about protest songs in the United States during the 60s, 70s, 80s and i thought of the following title : 

To what extent did protest songs in the US during the 60s-80s influence people's political beliefs and opinions? 

I want to write an English B EE and some of my teachers say it fits into group 2 category 2 culture and society but I'm not really sure if it is correct and if this title would fit more into a History EE. if that is the case , how can I turn it into a Group 2 English B EE. 

Thankyou :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to make my Extended Essay on Film Studies.

I've been thinking doing a comparison between Old Boy (Park Chon Wook) and Bad Sleep Well (Akira Kurosawa), how they have approached the theme of revenge. My dad, who is an academic on Film studies also, said it is too broad and cannot answer "so what" question... well Extended Essay is not supposed to be like an University thesis right?

But I also thought of making High and Low (Akira Kurosawa) and Bad Sleep Well. Which one would be better? Maybe comparing the same director may make my thesis more superficial?

• 3 weeks later...

I've chosen an EE in Philosophy, and I need a little bit of guidance from people who've written a Philosophy EE or otherwise know about how they work. 

I've read over the IB subject guide and the 2012 report and I've skimmed over some of the excellent essays (I'll read them more in depth as I progress in my own essay).

So far I have my mentor, research question, and an outline which I can link if anybody's interested. 

My RQ is this: "To what extent are moral and ethical values internally or externally determined, according to John Stuart Mill’s (Hedonistic) Utilitarianism, Immanuel Kant’s Categorical Imperative, and Ayn Rand’s Objectivism?

My outline looks roughly like this:

Introduction

RQ

Background

Thesis

Argument

Presentation of each of the above systems (including criticism) and their relevance to the RQ

Analysis

Strict analysis and interpretation of how exactly each system answers the RQ

Analytical compare and contrast

Conclusion

Answers the RQ

Issues, unresolved questions, new areas of exploration

And of course I'll be using mostly primary sources and a few secondary sources

I know it seems vague and insubstantial at some parts- that's one of the things I'm working on 

So my questions are these:

• Is my RQ focused enough? Should I narrow the topic itself, or limit myself to two or just one of the three systems (Utilitarianism, Categorical Imperative, Objectivism)?
  • One of the issues that the 2012 report really belabors is that some essays were descriptive, not analytical. How can I make sure that my essay is analysis-focused and it just doesn't describe and compare the systems?

Please feel free to answer these questions and also comment on your general thoughts on this, any fundamental or future problems, etc. 

Thanks for your help! 

What category would an EE topic that covers both psychology and drama be in, and if it had partial psychology would I need to do an experiment?

Cross-disciplinary EEs are a bad idea and examiners have cracked down on them in recent years. I strongly advise that you settle on a single subject - you have to submit it under one subject, and any material unrelated to that subject (roughly half if you do a cross-disciplinary EE) may as well not exist as far as the examiner is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this is a good topic for an EE in Economics?

How do non wage benefits in Singapore differ from Non-wage benefits in my home city of Noida?

I live in Singapore. So I plan to take surveys from working people in Singapore and Noida and compare the Non wage befits they receive. I could also find same company that has a branch in Noida and a branch in Singapore and interview the head about the non wage benefits he or she provides to the employees. I will be going yo Noida next summer to take surveys and the interview.

Hello,

I am doing my Extended Essay on Economics (I am an Eco HL student, 2nd year). I have been thinking about the title of my EE. I have come up with "How do the global oil prices affect the petrol price in my local petrol station?".

I have been taking readings of the petrol price of my petrol station for a month and found the oil prices for this period of time. I was thinking of comparing this data for my EE and evaluate the effect of the oil cost on petrol prices.

What do you think? Any suggestions? What else should I include?

Thank you in advance.

• 4 months later...

I was thinking of doing my EE on History but I'm not sure whether my topics are good ones and which ones I should chose. My questions are something like these:

1) To what extent did crimes profit from the Prohibition in 1920's-1930's United States?

2) How did the opium wars in China increase European control and lead to the fall of the Qing Dinasty?

Any advices?

2 minutes ago, Moony_PirateKing said:

I was thinking of doing my EE on History but I'm not sure whether my topics are good ones and which ones I should chose. My questions are something like these:

1) To what extent did crimes profit from the Prohibition in 1920's-1930's United States?

2) How did the opium wars in China increase European control and lead to the fall of the Qing Dinasty?

Any advices?

My advice would be to try and gather some sources and ideas for each essay topic. Whichever one you've got the most relevant material for is probably the one to go for, with the caveat that if it turns out you've got tonnes and tonnes of material, it'll also help you decide whether you in fact need to narrow down your answers. For instance you might want to concentrate on a particular criminal gang during prohibition because currently your question encompasses ALL criminal activity over a span of 10 years(!!). Once you start doing further research it should become clear to you the size of the question you're tackling and you can adjust accordingly. It should also help you decide which one you've got the best material to write about!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sandwich said:

My advice would be to try and gather some sources and ideas for each essay topic. Whichever one you've got the most relevant material for is probably the one to go for, with the caveat that if it turns out you've got tonnes and tonnes of material, it'll also help you decide whether you in fact need to narrow down your answers. For instance you might want to concentrate on a particular criminal gang during prohibition because currently your question encompasses ALL criminal activity over a span of 10 years(!!). Once you start doing further research it should become clear to you the size of the question you're tackling and you can adjust accordingly. It should also help you decide which one you've got the best material to write about!

Thanks for the advice! As for criminal activities, I was thinking of maybe mafia and bootlegging, figures such as Al Capone. This was inspired because I watched an anime called Baccano about this time era and there were lots of crimes in it. As for the Opium wars, I was thinking of doing something China-related since it has such a long history but the school teachers don't really teach us about it.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm thinking of doing my extended essay in Biology (I want to be a Forensic Pathologist), but I have been told that my experiment options in that are very limited, due to the fact that you can't harm animals etc. Does anyone know a suitable replacement? I was thinking of working with enzymes or something along those lines, but everyone has done something similar...

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thank you xx

• 1 month later...

So I'm having a nervous break down rn tbh :gbye:

after much thought on the inevitable RQ.......... I still don't have one. SOMEBODY, PLEASE HELP ME!!! 

I definitely know that I want to write it on: 

a. the hospitality industry

b. stress

I was thinking about how I can merge the two together and have something like: To what extent are stress levels higher in hospitality workers than firefighters? 

I know that I definitely want the question to start with "To what extent", though. 

SERIOUSLY, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOUUUUU X

18 hours ago, ib_princess said:

So I'm having a nervous break down rn tbh :gbye:

after much thought on the inevitable RQ.......... I still don't have one. SOMEBODY, PLEASE HELP ME!!! 

I definitely know that I want to write it on: 

a. the hospitality industry

b. stress

I was thinking about how I can merge the two together and have something like: To what extent are stress levels higher in hospitality workers than firefighters? 

I know that I definitely want the question to start with "To what extent", though. 

SERIOUSLY, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOUUUUU X

Do you have to choose your RQ now when you're graduating in 2018? I chose mine in the end of may and I'm graduating in 2017.

Anyhow. What subject are you planning on writing yours in? Biology? Psychology? Another idea could be: "To what extent do stress levels affect the hospitality industry?"

Aaaand, take it easy. Don't stress out. I know, I hate when people tell me not to – but it will work out! :yes: