Extended Essay

Survival Robot

Guest Jeyradan

Mine was in French (foreign language): "Un discussion des similitudes et des differences entre les protagonistes du 'Les Miserables' et 'Le Comte de Monte Cristo' et entre leurs vies."

My friend wrote one (for, I believe, history) about whether or not the American moon landing was a hoax... well actually, he wrote two - one concluding that it wasn't (which he ended up submitting) and one concluding that it was. By the end of it, I think he still couldn't even decide. He got an average grade, but the essay was great, so I assume he lost marks for not really fitting into a subject.

This was almost four years ago. I know an IB student right now who is writing his in Physics - on the physics of downhill longboarding.

Guest julz_90

I've changed my mind about my EE topic, and now I would like to do it in music. It would be about 'to which extent does A. Webern's orchestration of JS. Bach's 'fugue in 6 voices' influence the structure of the original and its effect?'

I know music is an unusual topic, and if you are not familiar with the topic my research question won't mean much to you, but if you have any feedbacks I'd be very grateful! Also just let me know if you have any examples of music EEs or music EE titles :lol::lol:

I've changed my mind about my EE topic, and now I would like to do it in music. It would be about 'to which extent does A. Webern's orchestration of JS. Bach's 'fugue in 6 voices' influence the structure of the original and its effect?'

I know music is an unusual topic, and if you are not familiar with the topic my research question won't mean much to you, but if you have any feedbacks I'd be very grateful! Also just let me know if you have any examples of music EEs or music EE titles :P:)

Music isn't that uncommon at my school there are at least 2 every year, I am sorry though that I can't remember any of the titles.

On another note, my essay is gonna be in Math...But I'm not sure what specifically

I'm interested in the physical and practical applications of math, as well as computers, and programming

Please help?

If you're doing Math, don't do programming! IB doesn't like it. I know someone who made a brilliant essay in Physics about programming (our teacher said it was extremely good) but he only got a C because apparently IB doesn't want programs.

Hello. I'm planning to my EE in English, something literature-based. Haven't decided on my title yet. Any good novels you would recommend?

English A1, I take it :) . Pick a work you really like. It has to be something you love and something you want to get to know better :P . If it's a novel you don't like you'll get bored halfway through and it'll shine through like grandma's underpants.

English A1, I take it :P . Pick a work you really like. It has to be something you love and something you want to get to know better :( . If it's a novel you don't like you'll get bored halfway through and it'll shine through like grandma's underpants.

Actually, english B. Thanks. REally appreciate that. Still got about 2 weeks before the deadline for submission of titles. Anybody got any idea where i can view sample EEs?

hey guys, I know my topic (ethnic cleansing in Bosnia) but I don't know my direction. I can do it on human rights, but that's limited, you can't say much. Do you think that events that lead to the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia is good enough? That would fall under History. Also, my IBC said I could also do it on politics, but what can I possibly say about the politics of that event? any ideas? thanks.

hey guys, I know my topic (ethnic cleansing in Bosnia) but I don't know my direction. I can do it on human rights, but that's limited, you can't say much.

To me that doesn't seem that broad topic. I'm sure you could get 4000 words and a great analysis with only that. Although if you don't like it then better do it on something else. One problem with your topic is that it is rather recent, that is if you want to do a History EE. IBO really seems to prefer you to concentrate on events that are at least 15 years since, if not even more.

I myself am on IB1 and will do mine in history. Currently my topic is: What where the social/environmental (haven't decided yet which one) effects of the war in Lapland (1944-45). The war in Lapland was one that Finland fought against the Germans after they Finnish government had surrendered to USSR. I don't have a huge knowledge about the matter yet, but the war in Lapland is really interesting imo and I think I have a fresh perspective on it. I have a good array of books, none of them directly on my topic. I also know that there are certain memorandums of the Finnish government dating back to 1945-50 that I could also use. Comments are, of course, welcome :P

Hi everyone, I'm also new here. I am just starting my EE, even though it's due next week! :0

Anyway, i've been trying to find a good topic for a while with no real luck. Lately i've been thinking I want to do something with The Great Gatsby and the American dream.

This is what i've come up with so far : How is realism used in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Great Gatsby to parody romantic works of literature and also to show the decline of the American dream, ultimately presenting a social commentary? What does that commentary say about the upper classes and civilization in general?

I'm not sure if we're allowed to have 2 questions or if it has to be condensed into one..anybody know?

Also, I'm not sure if this topic works. Can someone help me with this?

I'm willing to change anything about Huck Finn, i basically just want to keep Gatsby and the American dream.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can tweak this...or any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, I'm also new here. I am just starting my EE, even though it's due next week! :0

Anyway, i've been trying to find a good topic for a while with no real luck. Lately i've been thinking I want to do something with The Great Gatsby and the American dream.

This is what i've come up with so far : How is realism used in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Great Gatsby to parody romantic works of literature and also to show the decline of the American dream, ultimately presenting a social commentary? What does that commentary say about the upper classes and civilization in general?

I'm not sure if we're allowed to have 2 questions or if it has to be condensed into one..anybody know?

Also, I'm not sure if this topic works. Can someone help me with this?

I'm willing to change anything about Huck Finn, i basically just want to keep Gatsby and the American dream.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can tweak this...or any ideas?

Thanks!

Um...

Good lord. It's due in one week and you don't even have a topic?!?! What have you been doing lately?

Anyways, the topic. First off, it's too long and no, definitely not good to have two questions. The research question needs to be clear. The general idea though of a comparison is good and I like the first part - How is realism used in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Great Gatsby to parody romantic works of literature and also to show the decline of the American dream, ultimately presenting a social commentary?

However, if you think of this in terms of 'cause and effect' it seems that the cause is 'realism' and as if there are three effects here.

- parody romantic works of literature

- portrayal of the decline of the American dream

- presenting a social commentary

Remember, it's an essay that is suppose to be LESS than 4000 words. May seem a lot, but it isn't, especially considering the fact that you use two books. Now if you could focus on one or perhaps two (for instance if one or the other has an effect on the other), then it might make things clearer. The first one is a very vauge and you'll need to define what a parody and romantic work is and how the two novels are like that. The second one can be seen as a bit overused (decline of american dream - we all heard the theme. You'll find lots of sources but remember, you need your original thought). The third one also is a bit unclear 'what is a social commentary?'. The thing is, you already 'how is realism used in AHF and GG to... ' which could work perfectly fine as long as you know the last part. Don't complicate things for yourself. If you find that it's too broad still when you write, specify it even more. You will still need to though define and show how realism is presented and then how this on its own represents the second part.

This was so typed in haste. *runs to school*

Edited by Afterglow

Is it possible to write an EE on a topic that you aren't studying? I mean when e.g. I don't have psychology, can I write EE on this subject (of course Iif I find a supervisor)

It is possible but I don't think it is advised at all. This is what the syllabus says:

The subject chosen for the extended essay does not have to be one of the subjects being

studied by the candidate for the diploma, but care should be taken to choose a subject about

which the candidate has sufficient knowledge and skills.

Candidates should also base the choice of subject on the level of personal interest they have

in that subject.

So yes you can do it but remember that it might not be the best idea if you have never done psychology before. I do know one person who did it in a subject not part of the diploma but that person had enough qualification, knowledge and skills of the following subject.

To what extent was Stalin culpable for the failure of the Red Army to hold the Molotov Line in 1941?

...I'm on my third draft right now. Our History teacher wants us to get them over and done with, they're due next Monday.

Wow that sounds really interesting.

I also was thinking about doing some Russian History for my EE. As of right now I'm thinking about examining the the fall of the Romanov Dynasty from 1908-1918.

I'm not exactly sure what aspect to focus on for my EE, but i'm up to suggestions. :D

Wow that sounds really interesting.

I also was thinking about doing some Russian History for my EE. As of right now I'm thinking about examining the the fall of the Romanov Dynasty from 1908-1918.

I'm not exactly sure what aspect to focus on for my EE, but i'm up to suggestions. :D

Well, as such your topic is obviously very unfocused. Your topic has to be very narrow so that you can cover it thorougly in only 4000 words. First you might want to consider if you want to consider some external reason (such as the breakout of the first world war, though that would still be very broad) or internal reason (the czar's bad policies, though again I'd recommend you to choose one particular policy), or maybe you want to do something inbetween (like the dismal situation in Russian economics). If you want to share more your ideas I'll be glad to evaluate them (though bear in mind that I'm only a fellow IBer so you shouldn't trust my judgment always).

When you've started narrowing down your topic consider what kind of sources you have available. Personally I'd recommend a mixture of sources of different age and perspective, and maybe even some contemporary accounts (if you have access to some). Anyway, don't choose a source because you think it looks good on your bibliography, instead consider if it's a valuable source for your particular topic.

Well, as such your topic is obviously very unfocused. Your topic has to be very narrow so that you can cover it thorougly in only 4000 words. First you might want to consider if you want to consider some external reason (such as the breakout of the first world war, though that would still be very broad) or internal reason (the czar's bad policies, though again I'd recommend you to choose one particular policy), or maybe you want to do something inbetween (like the dismal situation in Russian economics). If you want to share more your ideas I'll be glad to evaluate them (though bear in mind that I'm only a fellow IBer so you shouldn't trust my judgment always).

When you've started narrowing down your topic consider what kind of sources you have available. Personally I'd recommend a mixture of sources of different age and perspective, and maybe even some contemporary accounts (if you have access to some). Anyway, don't choose a source because you think it looks good on your bibliography, instead consider if it's a valuable source for your particular topic.

I definitely will. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I just found a mentor for my EE and she has her Doctorate in Russian history so I'm excited. I am currently thinking about questioning whether the fall of the Romanov Dynasty was inevitable or not. But it’s still really broad, so I’m not sure. My mentor also suggested examining the rise of the Bolsheviks.

I haven't even been officially assigned the EE yet, so I'm just in that broad area of determining my topic.

Scade thanks so much! Your opinion is appreciated.