Extended Essay

Survival Robot

I'm thinking on doing my EE on Darfur and the things going on over there.

I just have no idea how to begin, and what to write about.

-.-

can you say VAGUE? :(

besides, it's too recent. that is, if youre talking about the Janjaweed and their atrocities in darfur (THAT started in 2003). if you really wanna write about darfur, then take something from its history and analyze and make connections and what not. do you want a history/politics/peace and conflict/human rights EE?

i suggest the first thing you do is actually READ about the sudan and its history, starting from 1899 or something (anglo-egyptian rule). whichever of the abovementioned area subjects you choose, the history of the country is key to understanding the reasons behind the conflict, the present opposition groups, and whether the situation in darfur constitutes genocide. although discussing why the UN has not yet recognized it as a genocide would be interesting, i'm afraid you can't go down that road because it's soooo recent. i think 15 years is the minimum time frame.

i mighttt be able to help if you develop any thoughts regarding the direction you want to take :( . of the 7 IB classes i take, world politics is my favorite.

can you say VAGUE? :P

besides, it's too recent. that is, if youre talking about the Janjaweed and their atrocities in darfur (THAT started in 2003). if you really wanna write about darfur, then take something from its history and analyze and make connections and what not. do you want a history/politics/peace and conflict/human rights EE?

i suggest the first thing you do is actually READ about the sudan and its history, starting from 1899 or something (anglo-egyptian rule). whichever of the abovementioned area subjects you choose, the history of the country is key to understanding the reasons behind the conflict, the present opposition groups, and whether the situation in darfur constitutes genocide. although discussing why the UN has not yet recognized it as a genocide would be interesting, i'm afraid you can't go down that road because it's soooo recent. i think 15 years is the minimum time frame.

i mighttt be able to help if you develop any thoughts regarding the direction you want to take ;) . of the 7 IB classes i take, world politics is my favorite.

i'd be doing peace and conflict studies.

And yeahh. i was thinking of starting off with the history of the country and then going into what is happening now.

I asked my counselor about it. And she said she though it was a good idea.

I also asked her about the whole time thing, because it is recent.

but she said i was fine.

and yess, help would be greatly appreciated:D

i'd be doing peace and conflict studies.

And yeahh. i was thinking of starting off with the history of the country and then going into what is happening now.

I asked my counselor about it. And she said she though it was a good idea.

I also asked her about the whole time thing, because it is recent.

but she said i was fine.

and yess, help would be greatly appreciated:D

hmmm- i sure hope your counselor's right.

The Darfur Conflict - this might help.

have you formed a question yet? PM me, I'd be glad to help.

Arrggh!

Teachers at my school have been bugging us about our EEs since about January and our topics were due around Feb. I've got about a couple of weeks before school starts again and still no topic! And the first draft is due by the end of August.

I've been switching from History to English A1 back and forth the past few days now. The thing is, I really cannot come up with a good topic for either subject...

For history my ideas run along the lines of:

- Why did Russia's peasant population constitute about 80% by the 1920's... or uhm something. (Can't really find resources on this topic)

- How did Henry the 8th's wish to annul his marriage with his first wife contribute to England's falling out with Catholicism or whatever. Or, er, something related to that. Or its effects.

- Something on Alexander the Great..?

Pretty much open to anything.

English:

Well, no concrete ideas yet but I'd love to do something on literature that possibly conveys themes of the tendencies of humans to destroy themselves by simply being human. Besides 100 Years of Solitude though, because I've over-analysed that book already. :/

Waah. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Arrggh!

Teachers at my school have been bugging us about our EEs since about January and our topics were due around Feb. I've got about a couple of weeks before school starts again and still no topic! And the first draft is due by the end of August.

I've been switching from History to English A1 back and forth the past few days now. The thing is, I really cannot come up with a good topic for either subject...

For history my ideas run along the lines of:

- Why did Russia's peasant population constitute about 80% by the 1920's... or uhm something. (Can't really find resources on this topic)

- How did Henry the 8th's wish to annul his marriage with his first wife contribute to England's falling out with Catholicism or whatever. Or, er, something related to that. Or its effects.

- Something on Alexander the Great..?

Pretty much open to anything.

English:

Well, no concrete ideas yet but I'd love to do something on literature that possibly conveys themes of the tendencies of humans to destroy themselves by simply being human. Besides 100 Years of Solitude though, because I've over-analysed that book already. :/

Waah. ;)

Well now, i think you shoud stop jumping around . Decide on one subject, then read the 2009 EE guide and decide on your topic. (I recommend you history, because it's more accurate and realistic than all those literature "thingies") .

p.s. When choosing the topic from history, mind the amount of available data in the libraries/internet. If it's a good topic with no sources - you're dead meat.

Edited by Rentle

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering whether or not this sounds like a good essay title for my English A1 extended Essay:

How do the authors’ writing techniques convey their personal experiences of drug addiction in their respective texts, "Million Little Pieces" by James Frey and "The Basketball Dairies" by Jim Carroll?"

and I'm kind of confused about how I am actually meant to go about writing my extended essay in english!

I was wondering whether or not this sounds like a good essay title for my English A1 extended Essay:

How do the authors’ writing techniques convey their personal experiences of drug addiction in their respective texts, "Million Little Pieces" by James Frey and "The Basketball Dairies" by Jim Carroll?"

and I'm kind of confused about how I am actually meant to go about writing my extended essay in english!

why are you confused? its just a normal english essay, for your case, a normal literature essay... just twice the length of our WL that's all... your essay title sounds fine... if you're worried about conveying your htoughts in english, dont worry. at first, my EE was on Prokofiev's classical symphony (russian composer of the 20th century). i couldnt get past 2000 words. in the end, i switched my EE to history -.-"

I'm doing my essay in english A1.

I've come up with a couple of different topics, but my supervisor just doesn't seem enthusiastic about any of them.

any advice on which one sounds best would be much appreciated.

Realism vs. Fantasy

How do literary techniques specific to these genres affect the communication of the moral message?

or something along those lines

looking at the amber spyglass-philip pullman and milton's paradise lost (though is this realism? haven't read it, my librarian suggested it)

The effect of gender on the adolescent voice

analysis of how i live now (female) and just in case (male) both by meg rosoff

how social taboos are made acceptable through literary techniques

analysis of ordinary people by judith guest

xx

Edited by clara

hi im an IB first year and we've been asked to submit our EE proposals by sept 22. im kind of in a dilemna over what subject to choose and even worse which title to choose and also whether some of the ideas swimming around in my head are even legit. ive been flip flopping between doing history and english and even though im more comfortable with the latter, im confused whether the essay needs to be centred around a specific text or two, one that ive studied, or can just be about lit in general, like "racism and stereotypes are present in todays modern lit as they were in past works."

for history, ive been wondering whether doing something like "China's progress and political landscape, is more so than other countries, a reflection of its people" and itll be like focussing on the period of self strengthening till the may 4th movement and stuff. Also im thinking of," had the Ming dynasty been more open and explorative, the progress of China as a nation would have been drastically different, thus affecting the progress of the world itself."

"what makes a government, its politicians or its people?" is also something i mulled over, but it doesnt seem to fit into any subject.

oh man. help please. thanks.

Hi all,

My EE first draft is due Monday, the 1st of September. That is in four days. I am having a really hard time finding a topic. That is all I need.

I am this far and without a topic because my initial subject was history, over the summer I decided I would change to English. I also decided I will write my essay on Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I have a few ideas too, but I can't seem to get anything concrete, I have been at this for a month now and it is driving me insane. PLEASE, someone help me figure out my topic so I can sit down in two days and write my essay in 48 hours non stop.

I was thinking of doing something on civility/propriety in the novel but there are so many things to look at that I just end up losin myself. I do think that the topic of civility/propriety is my first choice. I need this to be focused a lot more though. And there seem to be so many aspects of civility that I cannot find one to focus on. Or a couple that are similar. Or does excessive civility/too little civility ever cause something major in the novel? I am panicking and therefore losing all reasoning skills. Please, someone help me focus my statement/question.

This is me BEGGING.

Whoever helps me, I promise to owe you for eternity. I shall do my best to return the favour anytime.

Please, please. HELP.

I'm doing my essay in english A1.

I've come up with a couple of different topics, but my supervisor just doesn't seem enthusiastic about any of them.

any advice on which one sounds best would be much appreciated.

Realism vs. Fantasy

How do literary techniques specific to these genres affect the communication of the moral message?

or something along those lines

looking at the amber spyglass-philip pullman and milton's paradise lost (though is this realism? haven't read it, my librarian suggested it)

The effect of gender on the adolescent voice

analysis of how i live now (female) and just in case (male) both by meg rosoff

how social taboos are made acceptable through literary techniques

analysis of ordinary people by judith guest

xx

I like the effect of gender on the adolescent voice one. It seems interesting and with some potential if you can make it work. I haven't read either one of those books though, so I'm not exactly sure. But as I said, it seems quite interesting.

I like the effect of gender on the adolescent voice one. It seems interesting and with some potential if you can make it work. I haven't read either one of those books though, so I'm not exactly sure. But as I said, it seems quite interesting.

thanks for the input

yeah im pretty sure ill do that, but my supervisor doesn't think my books are "high brow" enough

ah well

xx

I agree with choosing that topic too. Perhaps change your wording a bit, like... How does gender role have an impact on adolescent voice.

You can read "A room of One's own" by Virginia Woolf. She talks about how women are not recognized as much as men are and etc. It might help, have a look.

Hi all,

My EE first draft is due Monday, the 1st of September. That is in four days. I am having a really hard time finding a topic. That is all I need.

I am this far and without a topic because my initial subject was history, over the summer I decided I would change to English. I also decided I will write my essay on Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I have a few ideas too, but I can't seem to get anything concrete, I have been at this for a month now and it is driving me insane. PLEASE, someone help me figure out my topic so I can sit down in two days and write my essay in 48 hours non stop.

I was thinking of doing something on civility/propriety in the novel but there are so many things to look at that I just end up losin myself. I do think that the topic of civility/propriety is my first choice. I need this to be focused a lot more though. And there seem to be so many aspects of civility that I cannot find one to focus on. Or a couple that are similar. Or does excessive civility/too little civility ever cause something major in the novel? I am panicking and therefore losing all reasoning skills. Please, someone help me focus my statement/question.

This is me BEGGING.

Whoever helps me, I promise to owe you for eternity. I shall do my best to return the favour anytime.

Please, please. HELP.

You look really confused. Calm down, it's only Draft I. Tell yourself, you can do this! :blum:

What is it that you want to investigate in civility? I see that you have some idea on the amount of civility and its causes. What are your other prefered topics? Talk to your supervisor more.