Homosexuality and Homophobia

King112

Hi everyone,

So the reason I am bringing up this topic is that my grandfather is a homophobe. He hates the legalisation of Gay marriage for reasons I cannot comprehend.

So, back to the topic at hand, I am interested in your opinions regarding homosexuality and/or homophobia. I for one, believe that everyone should have the right to marriage and love, irrespective of gender, but there probably are people who don't agree. I personally support the United States, and other countries in legalising this, and hope that Asian countries follow suit.

So let me know what you think about this.

Cheers,

King112

Hi everyone,

So the reason I am bringing up this topic is that my grandfather is a homophobe. He hates the legalisation of Gay marriage for reasons I cannot comprehend.

So, back to the topic at hand, I am interested in your opinions regarding homosexuality and/or homophobia. I for one, believe that everyone should have the right to marriage and love, irrespective of gender, but there probably are people who don't agree. I personally support the United States, and other countries in legalising this, and hope that Asian countries follow suit.

So let me know what you think about this.

Cheers,

King112

My parents are homophobic and my mom thinks it's a sickness while my dad thinks it is just plain gross. I had a friend who also thought that being gay/lesbian was wrong and gross. I really do not agree with that. The question I should be asking them is this: What if one of your kids wants to come out to you, but they're too afraid to do it because of your prejudiced views? There's nothing wrong with being homosexual, bisexual, two-spirited etc. Individuals should have the right to be protected from such discrimination instead of thinking less of a group of people simply because they are not like another group of people. I am honestly so happy to live in Canada where we have inalienable rights such as this, but yeah we still have those crazy, homophobic people. I remember during a provincial election, one of the candidates from the Wildrose party talked about how homosexuals should die and that made me really angry. 

• Like 1

From a religious perspective for me being a homo is wrong, but I also personally find it a bit weird people from the same gender loving each other. Even though I do find being a homosexual weird people still have the right to love who ever they want, heck! I joke with my friends about being homosexual, and one of my closest friends is a will be homosexual. So in general homophobic no, against homosexuality not really. LOVE WHOEVER! :heart:  :hug:

This idea of homosexuality is wrong is from society, and it brainwashes people, sadly some people just can't see past what others tell them

Edited by Yasmine
  • Like 1

I'm bisexual, so I'm sure you can guess my position regarding this topic. I'm thankful to live in Canada, where I am not restricted in my private exploration of my sexuality. But my dad is pretty much openly homophobic at home. He is disapproving of anything relating to homosexuality which is truly disheartening. He doesn't know I'm bi, but I hope he becomes more open-minded in the future, whether I'm in a relationship with a woman or a man.  :blush:

• Like 2

This topic also hits close to home for me. I'm gay, and I came out to my close family a few months ago. At first they were OK with it, though they have changed their mind and pretend as if it all never happened. My mum says she hopes "I'll get over it and improve" but she still acts normally around me. What hurts is the thought that people who knew you your entire life don't accept this part of you.

My school is rather liberal, and as it's an international school most people here are very open minded. I was greeted with a lot of support but, as expected, I have people who joke about it (in a negative sense; there are jokes and there's constant making fun of someone), and who think I shouldn't go to the next trip with my class as they're afraid to be in one room with me. My answer so far has been "please, I have standards". Teachers were informed as my school's policy is to inform them about things which might make the student insecure/ get bullied.

I'm thankful that I live in Germany where people are more open minded than in Poland, though the village i live in is very close-minded and religious. There was a gay couple here who had to move out the town as they have been threatened several times.

Overall I think the idea of homophobia to be harmful. Now, don't get me wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You don't accept gays/trans/etc.? That's cool, I understand you have a different view. I don't like purple and that's only my opinion, which I keep to myself in order to not upset people who might like that colour.

What makes me sad is that someone's opinion can affect lives of millions of people and make them feel insecure and sad just because of who they love. We are all humans, homosexuality has been observed in hundreds of species. It's not a choice, you can't change who you are. Live and love, because wasting your time on haters is not worth it.

Love wins <3

I just don't understand homophobic people.

A child needs mum and dad?

Sure, lets take all kids away from divorced people and widows.

They can't reproduce?

Sure, lets make a regulation that every single couple needs to reproduce within certain time passed from marriage.

God says its a sin?

Sure, lets follow a guy who supposedly killed 2000000+ people (source: The Bible) as our moral guide. Oh I forgot no one has evidence about his existance. Well, that's good since maybe those 2000000+ people dying to his actions didnt suffer early death after all.

• Like 2

My mother is a homophobe and my father is weirded out about the subject. I have had endless discussions and arguments with them regarding the matter of homosexuality, trying to make them understand that it's not a disease and it cannot be cured. If you're from India, you know that the Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code just makes matters worse for the LGBT community. It hurts me so much thinking, we're denying people the right to marry the person they love.But I keep reminding myself that they were raised to believe only heterosexuality is normal. 

I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions but at the same time everyone is entitled to equal human rights regardless of race, gender, age and sexuality. 

• Like 2

This topic also hits close to home for me. I'm gay, and I came out to my close family a few months ago. At first they were OK with it, though they have changed their mind and pretend as if it all never happened. My mum says she hopes "I'll get over it and improve" but she still acts normally around me. What hurts is the thought that people who knew you your entire life don't accept this part of you.

My school is rather liberal, and as it's an international school most people here are very open minded. I was greeted with a lot of support but, as expected, I have people who joke about it (in a negative sense; there are jokes and there's constant making fun of someone), and who think I shouldn't go to the next trip with my class as they're afraid to be in one room with me. My answer so far has been "please, I have standards". Teachers were informed as my school's policy is to inform them about things which might make the student insecure/ get bullied.

I'm thankful that I live in Germany where people are more open minded than in Poland, though the village i live in is very close-minded and religious. There was a gay couple here who had to move out the town as they have been threatened several times.

Overall I think the idea of homophobia to be harmful. Now, don't get me wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You don't accept gays/trans/etc.? That's cool, I understand you have a different view. I don't like purple and that's only my opinion, which I keep to myself in order to not upset people who might like that colour.

What makes me sad is that someone's opinion can affect lives of millions of people and make them feel insecure and sad just because of who they love. We are all humans, homosexuality has been observed in hundreds of species. It's not a choice, you can't change who you are. Live and love, because wasting your time on haters is not worth it.

Love wins <3

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear that about you. Still, I wish the best for you mate.

Yeah I know where your coming from. To be honest, nowadays, it is grained in our society to call everyone who isn't "normal" gay or a faggot. Often, I doubt that it is even meant to be an insult, it's just become a slang in modern society. I'm not defending this, I'm just stating a fact.

So, yeah. I think homophobia is actually a bigger issue than it should be due to the fact that anti homosexual slurs are accepted in our society.

Still Mac, I have to say you are extremely brave to come out of the closet despite the problems you face. I hope you find the right guy for you and are happy.

Cheers,

King112

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Im sorry and no offense to anyone but I ddont gett why ppl are gay...I jsut cnt understand why someone would want to likea person from the same gender...to me..I become homophobic when I hear the idea of men loving each other....at least women isnt to extreme in my respect...i honestly think the medi and ppl acceptng gay marriages has promoted gaynessamong ppl..more ppl thinks itts ok to just say they are bisexual evn wen they really arent...gayness has never been something I understand because I just think its wrong....biologically and religiously....If i mentionned THAT i grew up in a very religious setting were my whole family is relious...thismay be the reason y I am very against it

Hhowever I will never threaten to do anything bad to another person just because they are gay. I will also not neglect or isolate them....they are still humans!!! peopleshouldrememberthis

Well. I am for homosexuality.

First of all, it seems to me that many homophobic people are actually gay. I have some friends that pretended to be homophobic to hide the fact that they are gay. ( I think it is just sad.)

Second of all, I think people who are homophobic have no compassion. This is to people that are homophobic : If everyone is saying being straight is disguising, are you gonna be gay and have sex/ kiss/ hold hands with people that you are not attracted to? You can't and you won't, as it is not your choice !! If you were in their shoes, you would do the exact same thing. Yet you are condemning them. How hypocritical is that?

I think you can have your opinion, but keep your prejudiced vicious presumptuous opinion to yourself. Gay people do the least harm to you yet you are killing them from the inside with your words.

I am somewhat homophobic but would never harm another human because of who they love. Thats barbaric, cruel and inhumane. Itsjust not fair to isolate another person because of being gay.

However I think beingg gay is religiously and biologically incorrect...I SADLY JUST CANT ACCEPT IT....it sounds like somethings that the media has just encouraged.....even if everyone in my community were to be gay, I would not be gay.....BEING STRAIGHT TO ME....IS WHAT I BELIVE humans should be..reproduction should occur naturally like it has always been. No offense to anyone but I just cant accept the ideology of homosexuality...it doesnt delight me a single bit.

• Like 2

What did I just read.

I find it hilarious when someone says lesbians are fine, but boy homos are a no-go. Like, what is even behind that logic?

And...sexual...ideology......and it doesn't...delight...you? What? Should what others do in bed delight me?

Finally: samim, saying "no offence" is not your Get Out of Jail Free card. It doesn't work like that. Why would you say something that you know is going to be offensive?

• Like 4

I am somewhat homophobic but would never harm another human because of who they love. Thats barbaric, cruel and inhumane. Itsjust not fair to isolate another person because of being gay.

However I think beingg gay is religiously and biologically incorrect...I SADLY JUST CANT ACCEPT IT....it sounds like somethings that the media has just encouraged.....even if everyone in my community were to be gay, I would not be gay.....BEING STRAIGHT TO ME....IS WHAT I BELIVE humans should be..reproduction should occur naturally like it has always been. No offense to anyone but I just cant accept the ideology of homosexuality...it doesnt delight me a single bit.

Homosexuality isn't an ideology. It isn't really something to agree with. It's just a fact that some people are homosexual and it's not unnatural. If everyone in your community was gay, you wouldn't be gay just because you aren't gay. not because you aren't ready to agree with it. 

It's not something people choose the same way you never chose to be straight. 

• Like 2

Dear Samim,

Saying you're homophobic itself kinda says it though. You believe people are meant to be straight and that's what you believe. In that instance you're (most likely) against same-sex marriage, which DOES harm other people. Not physically, but emotionally and mentally.

Media do not "encourage" to be gay. People are more open about it as it is more socially acceptable, and they're not afraid. I personally came out because of the fact that I knew I had support outside of my very regions family.

If that didn't happen, I honestly don't think I'd be alive right now. Trust me, as someone talking from the first perspective, I can assure you we don't choose to be gay. Why would I choose to be discriminated in my home country? Why would I risk the chance of being disowned by my own family? Why would I choose to have people tell me I'm a disgrace and not human on daily basis? To this day I struggle with self-hate because of what people surrounding me said and did to me

When I was younger I dated girls. 5, to be exact. I did what I was told guys are meant to do, because being with a guy was just unacceptable in my old, conservative school. I kissed them, tried to feel something towards them. The only feeling I felt was regret because those girls might have even really liked me - and I was not PHYSICALLY able to return that feeling. Sure, j liked them, but as a friend. And you have no idea how many times I tried to "change". I would HIT MYSELF every time I thought of a guy in a romantic way. I tried everything from cutting to burning. I was a human wreck - and I tried so very hard to be "normal".

It wasn't until I changed school that I realised being myself isn't wrong or bad. At the end of the day each does to their own and we don't look what the couple next door is doing (hopefully).

I am not trying to bash you; you are entitled to your own opinion and beliefs - after all we are all free. What i would like you and some people around me (who sadly probably will never understand and still disown me) to understand is that sometimes opinions can hurt. You can be homophobic and think whatever you want, but as soon as you start expressing it to those people you dislike/ find "not delightful" - you hurt them. Real. Bad. Because words my friend hurt more than any weapon. They stay in your head. They haunt you at night, leaving you restless.

And lastly, the lesbian thing. I can proudly tell you that I'm a gay male. I do not quite get why girls loving each other are ok for you, yet men aren't. Is it because the idea of two hot girls kissing each other seems attractive to you?

Sexuality is not equal to SEXUAL DRIVE. Gays and lesbians don't only have sexual kntercourse - we LOVE each other. Go on dates, watch movies together, cuddle, and do pretty much everything that straight couples do.

Let me end it on a semi-positive note though. I'm glad you think isolation gay people is wrong - you're ahead some of the people I know. You're in the IB programme, which wants to create new, open-minded world leaders. Try to expand your horizons a bit, and see through your religious beliefs. I can leave you some websites to read from if you want to. :)

Sincerely

A young LGBTQ+ member

Edited by mac117

If you can't accept it, the least thing you can do is stop saying that being gay is biologically / religiously incorrect. Just because YOU cant accept it, doesn't make it right or wrong.

And just please don't kill your son if he is say. (No offence, I am serious) I actually heard it from my christian Russian friend, who said he would kill his son if his son was gay. It is just ridiculous to see how "gruesome" religious people can be and kill their own flesh and blood without blinking an eye. (Godless !!) Isn't religion all about forgiving, loving and caring ? and they can love murderers / rapers, but not gay people ? So funny hahahaha :) The greatest love of all  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

I respect your belief. But it is the time to be on the right side of history.

Edited by Guest

If you can't accept it, the least thing you can do is stop saying that being gay is biologically / religiously incorrect. Just because YOU cant accept it, doesn't make it right or wrong.

And just please don't kill your son if he is say. (No offence, I am serious) I actually heard it from my christian Russian friend, who said he would kill his son if his son was gay. It is just ridiculous to see how "gruesome" religious people can be and kill their own flesh and blood without blinking an eye. (Godless !!) Isn't religion all about forgiving, loving and caring ? and they can love murderers / rapers, but not gay people ? So funny hahahaha :) The greatest love of all ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

I respect your religion, and wish you all the best with your religion. But it is the time to be on the right side of history.

Actually, the gene controlling sexual behavior has been located, and homosexual behavior is met on other species besides humans, so you are definitely spreading false information by saying that it's biologically incorrect.

About religions then, well, religion is as long as there is no evidence just a fairytale anyway. I'm not saying one is not allowed to believe in tales but justifying discrimination based on tales is not okay.

• Like 1

Haven't reserched anything so what I said could be utter nonsense. However its my opinion, so I am not trying to prove anything but simply stating what I think.

Nonetheless, I do remember that the Biological purpose of life is to reproduce (this is something we learned in biology) which is why it struck me that if biologically we are meant to reproduce then like I said it should be with the opposite genders.

If you dont agree its ok, thats your opinion.I cant stop you from calling my religion a tale,even though I know its not.

• Like 2

Haven't reserched anything so what I said could be utter nonsense. However its my opinion, so I am not trying to prove anything but simply stating what I think.

Nonetheless, I do remember that the Biological purpose of life is to reproduce (this is something we learned in biology) which is why it struck me that if biologically we are meant to reproduce then like I said it should be with the opposite genders.

If you dont agree its ok, thats your opinion.I cant stop you from calling my religion a tale,even though I know its not.

Actually every species wants to ensure continuation of said species. Reproducing is the most obivious way to do it. However nowadays there are so desperately many of us that we are consuming Earth faster than it can recover, so it is actually more logical act to not reproduce, since if we destroy the Earth there will be none of us. Also nowadays since society takes care of everyone principles of natural selection don't apply to humans anymore.

You know your religion is not a tale, fine, but you have zero evidence and yet you use this tale to discriminate against others.

• Like 4

No, it is not the purpose of life, it is one of the functions of life. (IB biology oxford university press page 8) So you are saying the mere reason that you hate gay people is that they cannot reproduce? Well, many straight people are genetically infertile, do you hate them? (It shouldn't concern you anyway...) It seems to me that you are just using it as an excuse to rationalize your selfish act.

There are many purposes in life, and loving one another is a big one. People with religion background should know better. I learnt a lot from my religion (I was a christian), but it dawned on me that I should not listen to a random guy (GOD), whom I have never met/seen, and who let his own children live under oppression and inferiority just because they are gay. (My friend is gay and christian and she used to cry every night  cuz she thought god hated her). If Religion is the reason for the suffering of millions of people, whether it is a tale or not, I refuse to extol it.  

What did they do to you? and what you are doing to them?

Edited by Guest

No, it is not the purpose of life, it is one of the functions of life. (IB biology oxford university press page 8) So you are saying the mere reason that you hate gay people is that they cannot reproduce? Well, many straight people are genetically infertile, do you hate them? (It shouldn't concern you anyway...) It seems to me that you are just using it as an excuse to rationalize your selfish act.

There are many purposes in life, and loving one another is a big one. People with religion background should know better. I learnt a lot from my religion (I was a christian), but it dawned on me that I should not listen to a random guy (GOD), whom I have never met/seen, and who let his own children live under oppression and inferiority just because they are gay. (My friend is gay and christian and she used to cry every night  cuz she thought god hated her). If Religion is the reason for the suffering of millions of people, whether it is a tale or not, I refuse to extol it.  

What did they do to you? and what you are doing to them?

he never said he hates gay people. he just said that he doesnt agree with the whole idea of homosexuality.

• Like 1