Switching from SL to HL econ!

How different is Economics HL from Economics SL? 
Is it much harder?
Even if yes, is it easier to do Economics HL than science HL?

How big is the difference between the HL and SL works? My teacher says that it is only a little bit more content. Is this true? Do the exam questions tend to be easier in SL Econ? Also finally, would examiners be more generous in giving points in SL than in HL?

Is it really that hard because, I'm planning on switching from SL to HL as I'm really enjoying it and want to go more in-depth..

If there was a spectrum for the differences between doing SL for a subject and HL for that subject, at one end would be Maths SL and Maths HL and somewhere near the other... Economics SL and Economics HL.

The extra content has a lot of linear functions, but that's easy maths. There is one difficult topic, Theory of the Firm, but that's really the only thing more difficult in Economics HL. If you can do line equations and can handle an extra exam paper - there's a paper 3 for Economics HL, along with papers 1 and 2, while there's only papers 1 and 2 for SL - that deals with basic math, you'll be fine!

And yes, examiners would be slightly more lenient against SL students but this shouldn't be a deciding factor!
Economics HL is definitely easier than doing Physics or Chemistry at HL, or even Biology HL, but if your science is Biology, the difference in difficulty from SL and HL isn't that bad, because in essence, Biology HL is just a ton of memorization.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I was at this exact point before I switched from Economics SL to HL. Like your teacher said, the difference isn't that great. You'll still have to do IAs, and most of the syllabus is the same. The extra stuff for HL is:

calculations about demand supply, GDP and other such things. basically, its very simple maths, so if you're even a little good at math, you're good to go!

Theory of firm - this is a little tough, but with enough time, you can understand this.

Other extension in the SL syllabus, which are easy according to me

An extra paper - paper 3, which is based on calculations and definitions

It is easier to score in HL, because of paper 3. It is definitely easier to score than science. Like I mentioned earlier, even if you're a little good at maths, you'll still understand this. Its just linear functions and some formulas that are basically just multiplication or division. This counts for 20% of your total grade (I don't remember for sure, but I think its this) so if you score well in this your total score goes up automatically.

Paper 1 and 2 are pretty much the same. You get options and you can choose to not answer one of the two questions given. I always go to the exam fully prepared for a few topics while some I don't even look at. I still managed a 7 with this. Maybe this is just me, but I actually find HL much easier than SL.

Personally, I feel like Economics HL was actually easier than Economics SL with paper 3 increasing my average.

So, yeah. If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend Economics HL. Laugh at Maths HLs and don't even look back.

Edited by Elca

• 3 weeks later...