Econ IA ideas?

Hi, I have found my article for my IA: http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-health-officials-would-add-2-tax-to-pack-of-cigarettes-in-california-20150303-story.html

I am not sure what to write... Like what to include? Right now, this is what I've written down:

Economic Terms to be Defined

Demerit good,   Indirect tax and specific tax,  Negative externalities of consumption,  Market failure, Welfare loss,  Elasticity of demand

Economic Theory to be used

Demand/supply, market failure, elasticity of demand

Diagrams

Negative externality of consumption

Indirect tax on cigarettes

I am just not sure how to do it and what to include, how to evaluate... any ideas?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is late but what commentary is this for?

I finished my micro and macro commentaries

Make a diagram of the effect of different taxes (ad valorem and flat tax)

The Econ IA you have to define terms you used in it so yeah. A word limit of 750 is not much lol, 

You can use the terms ( Demerit good,   Indirect tax and specific tax,  Negative externalities of consumption,  Market failure, Welfare loss,  Elasticity of demand) to help you with the actual analysis If you have questions or need help pm me lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For the evaluation part, you can include the impact of your solutions (or the ones given in the article) on the stakeholders, talk about the advantages and disadvantages or the long and short term effects. Then you can conclude based on all this.

Edit: I'm doing my micro IA on cigarette as well (from what you've included I'm guessing its the exact same, except the article), you're welcome to have a look at it after I get my results.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1