Is Math hl and CHem hl managable?

samim

I want to take Math and chem hl....is it managable? I also plan on taking phy sl....will this workload be too much? Ifphy sl is too easy, then would it be smart to move up to hl as the year goes on....the ony reason I didchem hl istead of phy hl is because I am waaaaay better at chem...it seems somewhat natural to me..and I want to become a chem engineer

Typically it is manageable. But if you are also taking HL History, HL Art and two language As then maybe you need to rethink.
No single two-course combination in IBDP is not manageable, but if you are taking all of the hardest courses then maybe, just maybe you need to be sure.

about 30 out of 70 students of my year chose both HL Chemistry and HL Math (it's easier if you are not doing it by yourself). Some of us (not me) took a 7th course and/or a 4th HL.

I'll say: very? typically? It also depends on other subjects you take and what grades you want... I'm doing 2 Language As with Chem and Maths HL and I think a standard IBDP subject combination (no 4th HL or a 7th subject) can hardly get harder than that and I'm coping.

It's good that you're leaving Physics undecided; it's better to confirm that you're confident with at least SL because I heard Physics HL is crazy.

Edited by potatokim

Taking chemistry HL and math HL seems to best fit your agenda of becoming a chemical engineer. Whether it is manageable or not will depend on other subjects as well. So taking some easy subjects not requiring a lot of work will definitely make the whole combo much more manageable while still fulfilling your needs of pursuing a course in chemical engineering in uni. 

I'll say: very? typically? It also depends on other subjects you take and what grades you want... I'm doing 2 Language As with Chem and Maths HL and I think a standard IBDP subject combination (no 4th HL or a 7th subject) can hardly get harder than that and I'm coping.

It's good that you're leaving Physics undecided; it's better to confirm that you're confident with at least SL because I heard Physics HL is crazy.

But... physics is the most fun subject of them all :D at least alongside math

It is very manageable, especially if you are a science person. I am currently in IB1, but take Math, Chemistry and Physics all HL and additional 7th subject and it is not too difficult if you can grasp the concepts easily. I suggest you take all of them and can later drop the physics to SL :)

Thank you guys that was really helpful. These two subjects basically determine my future.

I was thnking:

math hl

Chem hl

Swahili b hl (it will be really easy, I am a native speaker although my english lit is better so I thought I should continue with englishA lit which I have always been doing.)

Eng A sl

Econ sl

Phy sl (I could start this as hl, and see how it goes, or start with sl and if its too easy, Ill move to hl : physics isnt my comfort zone as chem and math, so will see)

Edited by samim

Just taking a quick look at your courses, I think that should be manageable.

I take Math HL and Chem HL as well, but my two other HLs are English A and Spanish B (two courses that aren't as demanding).

Math HL and Chem HL are definitely my toughest courses, though. If you're naturally good at Chem, though, it shouldn't be toooo bad.

I took SL Physics but we essentially covered 80-85% of HL content because of the provincial curriculum. HL Physics then SL, if needed, sounds like a good idea.
Language A HL is really hard so if you really want HL Physics then Swahili B HL and English A SL is fine. I would say HL English is equally difficult as HL Math.

Edited by kw0573

I took SL Math but we essentially covered 80-85% of HL content because of the provincial curriculum. HL Physics then SL, if needed, sounds like a good idea.

Language A HL is really hard so if you really want HL Physics then Swahili B HL and English A SL is fine. I would say HL English is equally difficult as HL Math.

I'd say otherwise, I mean yeah the English HL syllabus is slightly more (only three more works in Literature) and harder criteria (by one band) in most assessments, it is in no way comparable to Mathematics HL which is like double the content of SL's. I appreciate that you've covered a lot of HL content but I mean Language A HL has the smallest jump in an HL than any other subject group. Besides, these are two contrasting subjects that are for two different types of people in terms of strengths, very rarely do you get someone that's good in both the scientific and linguistic disciplines (one is objective, while the other tends to be more subjective) 

I took SL Math but we essentially covered 80-85% of HL content because of the provincial curriculum. HL Physics then SL, if needed, sounds like a good idea.

I'd say otherwise, I mean yeah the English HL syllabus is slightly more (only three more works in Literature) and harder criteria (by one band) in most assessments, it is in no way comparable to Mathematics HL which is like double the content of SL's. I appreciate that you've covered a lot of HL content but I mean Language A HL has the smallest jump in an HL than any other subject group. Besides, these are two contrasting subjects that are for two different types of people in terms of strengths, very rarely do you get someone that's good in both the scientific and linguistic disciplines (one is objective, while the other tends to be more subjective) 

Hi I made a typo. I meant to say I took SL Physics and we learned 80-85% of HL. I did took HL Math and HL Literature.

Anyways, I did not judge a course's content by the jump between SL and HL. I am comparing instead between HL Literature and HL Math. 

I don't want to go into objectivity/subjectivity. I wanted to say that both HL Math and HL literature requires patience and consistency in practicing. Nobody can write a perfect commentary on first try (as in, no practice beforehand) just like nobody can tackle the hardest math problems having just learned the formula/concept.

I do believe this arose out of a misunderstanding / typo on my part so I don't want to discredit you or anything like that.

Thank you guys that was really helpful. These two subjects basically determine my future.

I was thnking:

math hl

Chem hl

Swahili b hl (it will be really easy, I am a native speaker although my english lit is better so I thought I should continue with englishA lit which I have always been doing.)

Eng A sl

Econ sl

Phy sl (I could start this as hl, and see how it goes, or start with sl and if its too easy, Ill move to hl : physics isnt my comfort zone as chem and math, so will see)

Actually regarding your dilemma between Swahili B HL and Eng A HL, I would suggest to keep the former in HL if you feel comfortable with it and you should too since it is your native language. The reason for this is that in my experience, I have found that the Eng A can be quite difficult to score highly in. The reason for this is because IB sets a very high standard for the English and it can be a bit difficult for person who is not inherently wired in English to do well. But again, that is just my experience and definitely I am not making any calls for you. Just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

And I would also suggest starting off with Physics HL if you would like because I found that subject to be an absolute wonder and filled with excitement as we came upon each new topic. No doubt, it's crucially difficult in some parts but if you can enjoy it or if you have a knack for Physics you'll do great. I'm sure of it!

I got a 42 scoring a 5 in English A SL and 6 in French AB SL and I scored full in the rest of my subjects. (Just for you to gauge how much I struggled with English A compared to my Math, Physics and Chem HLs)

Edited by Aninda Saha
  • Like 2

I was thnking:

math hl

Chem hl

Eng A sl

Econ sl

Actually regarding your dilemma between Swahili B HL and Eng A HL, I would suggest to keep the former in HL if you feel comfortable with it and you should too since it is your native language. The reason for this is that in my experience, I have found that the Eng A can be quite difficult to score highly in. The reason for this is because IB sets a very high standard for the English and it can be a bit difficult for person who is not inherently wired in English to do well. But again, that is just my experience and definitely I am not making any calls for you. Just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

And I would also suggest starting off with Physics HL if you would like because I found that subject to be an absolute wonder and filled with excitement as we came upon each new topic. No doubt, it's crucially difficult in some parts but if you can enjoy it or if you have a knack for Physics you'll do great. I'm sure of it!

I got a 42 scoring a 5 in English A SL and 6 in French AB SL and I scored full in the rest of my subjects. (Just for you to gauge how much I struggled with English A compared to my Math, Physics and Chem HLs)

Thank you, 42...thats brilliant! the thing is I am stuck with a problem where for my last two MYP years, I have been studying french b and english A lit&lang. I dont have another choice for my A as I wouldnt do to well in my native language in terms of literature. I an fluent, I speak it at home, I can write and read but since like 8th grade, I havent been exposed to the kiswahili literature as I have been taking french b instead. It was a mistake that I really regret but unfortunately it has placed me in this position where eng A sl is my best option. I could probably get a 5 or 6 in eng A sl and a effortless 7 in the language b so I wil just take on the challenge.

Plus, I have heard that phy sl is by no means easier than hl(just that there is less content covered) so I dont underestimate phy sl but it would give me flexibility in my career option if I took it at hl, wouldn't it? cause I cant think of any careers other than chem engineering if I only took che an math hl. So your idea of starting off with phy hl could be work out fine.

Thank you, 42...thats brilliant! the thing is I am stuck with a problem where for my last two MYP years, I have been studying french b and english A lit&lang. I dont have another choice for my A as I wouldnt do to well in my native language in terms of literature. I an fluent, I speak it at home, I can write and read but since like 8th grade, I havent been exposed to the kiswahili literature as I have been taking french b instead. It was a mistake that I really regret but unfortunately it has placed me in this position where eng A sl is my best option. I could probably get a 5 or 6 in eng A sl and a effortless 7 in the language b so I wil just take on the challenge.

Plus, I have heard that phy sl is by no means easier than hl(just that there is less content covered) so I dont underestimate phy sl but it would give me flexibility in my career option if I took it at hl, wouldn't it? cause I cant think of any careers other than chem engineering if I only took che an math hl. So your idea of starting off with phy hl could be work out fine.

Yes, I think you would be able to best judge for yourself the dilemma between the languages but I feel like you're heading in the right direction. As for Physics, well clearly there will be a slight difference in the level of difficulty between HL and SL but I must say it is not as significant as the difference between HL and SL Maths. HL Physics basically just delves into more in-depth topics but if you've gotten the hang of how to approach the SL bits, it will essentially be the same process for the HL bits. So I would not worry too much about finding it too difficult but yes it will have a lot more content. Personally, I found that the extra content for HL Physics were much more than that for HL Chem. But you'll be able to gauge how much more time you'll need to put in if you flip through the Physics textbook. :)) Hope that helps. Cheers