Computer Science & Maths books

Carlos

Well, I'm starting my second IB year in about two months, and I've already gotten books for all of my IB subjects except computer science and maths. I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation on which books to buy for these subjects, since my school doesn't ask for books in these two subjects so I'm kinda lost on which book covers the syllabus in an understandable and "deep" way.

Okay, first of all I find it a little odd that you don't have a recommended text book for math. How do you practice then? Also, it would be better if you tell us which level you study math in. For ex. Our school recommends us to use the Cambridge Mathematical Books. They come for all the three levels and personally, I think, the Math Studies and Standard Level Books are really amazing to understand and practice from. For Computer Science, even we don't have a recommended textbook, however my classmates and I have decided to refer to Computer Science Illuminated, Sixth Edition, by Nell Dale and John Lewis. It's really helpful and in my opinion the most relevant to the IB Computer Science Syllabus. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 3

Okay, first of all I find it a little odd that you don't have a recommended text book for math. How do you practice then? Also, it would be better if you tell us which level you study math in. For ex. Our school recommends us to use the Cambridge Mathematical Books. They come for all the three levels and personally, I think, the Math Studies and Standard Level Books are really amazing to understand and practice from. For Computer Science, even we don't have a recommended textbook, however my classmates and I have decided to refer to Computer Science Illuminated, Sixth Edition, by Nell Dale and John Lewis. It's really helpful and in my opinion the most relevant to the IB Computer Science Syllabus. 

Hope this helps. 

Well, I'm in mathematics SL, and my teacher gives us a lot of exercises to practice every week, but I think a book is still needed. I'm going to check those books, and I think I'll buy those. Thanks a lot

• Like 1

Hi Carlos 

There actually has been a textbook published for the new CS syllabus (2014 version).

You'll find a link to it from my website for IB CS resources: http://ib.compscihub.net

All the best

MrC

Great, I'll check it out. Thanks a lot!

Also, the 2014 syllabus is the last one the IB published, right?

Edited by Carlos