Changing IB subjects

Rakhat

Yep. In my school there have been quite a few changing their subjects, at the end of year 1 (that is, half way through the course). The culprit is Maths HL; too many underestimated its challenges. (A lot dropped it in the first 2 weeks though.)

Edited by potatokim

I have a friend in the year above who switched into History HL after the first semester of her IB Year 1. She had a TON of catching up to do and often spent lunches in the history classroom working with the teacher.

It's definitely possible, just not ideal. Avoid it if you can, but if you must, the end of this semester is probably the very last opportunity for you to switch.

It's fine if you don't wait too long - I switched from Bio to Politics without too much difficulty after a term (that is, around 8-9 weeks) of school had gone by. It's easier to switch between HL and SL of the same subject than completely changing subjects, obviously (except for say, maths, but who would ever switch from SL to HL maths?)

Edited by terribletouw

• 3 years later...

I actually just finished semester 1 with ITGS SL

and I think, that it is hard for me to secure a good grade, now I am thinking that I should switch to Business and Management SL, but the teacher has already taught 2 units in the class....

what should I do?