d

bescherelle

You're applying to MIT as well? Well if we both get accepted, hopefully, I'll get to meet ya. :yahoo:

Just a note: The deadline for the interview is December 1 and the deadline for the application is January 1.

She asked nothing about marks, as I previously mentioned.

She asked stuff like:

• Where are you from?
  • Where were you born?
  • What school are you in?
  • What curriculum are you studying?
  • What subjects are you taking?
  • Why do you want to go to MIT? (prepare a good answer =P, not just "It's MIT, duh!")
  • (A question I was expecting but did not get) How will you contribute to the MIT community? (also prepare an answer for that =P)
  • What other universities have you applied to/are you applying to?
  • What are you thinking of studying?
  • What might you work after you graduate?
  • What extracurricular activities do you do? (That was the longest part of the whole interview, told her about all the extracurricular stuff I did in school and out of school.)
  • Do you travel in the summer? If so, where to? Why?
  • If not, what do you do in your summer?
  • Have you ever volunteered in the summer?
  • Have you ever had a job before?
  • Is there anything special you feel you've accomplished in your life that you're proud of?
  • Is there anything you'd like to ask me about MIT?
  • Is there anything else you'd like to tell MIT that might help in any way with your application?

That's all I remember for now, if I remember anything else I'll edit and tell you.

PS. By the way the interview is very friendly not even half as serious as it seems, don't be nervous just imagine you're out with a friend. And be careful, they're VERY smart. I'll pm you an example of how smart they are.

Big universities such as Berkely, MIT, Princeton, Harvard, etc care a whole lot about your personality. They want a diversity of students, not "The Perfect Student". You can get a 2400 in SAT and get rejected. (Which has happened btw.)

A lot of students who didn't have the best scores got into Ivy League universities because of maybe their leadership roles or something special about them. It doesn't always have to be marks.

Wee! Post # 50. :):yahoo::P

Edited by Anonymouser

You still stand a chance with these points. But, in fact, you have to look for a way to show where you're special:

These could be your personal, social qualities, academic awards and so on. Just try to get in and you'll know if it's enough or not.

Everything's as simple as that.

• 3 weeks later...

I think interview will not break your application, only make it. Like if the alumni says lots of good things about you then your application might just be pushed over the admit boundary. However if the alumni doesn't say anything good, (and I am assuming they won't say anything bad, because you are not going to do anything bad in an interview), then it won't affect your chances but it won't improve it as well.

wow

ur list is just impressive

makes me wonder

how can i get into any uni with my extra-carricular stuff...

can u teach me how to get involved with all those doctor related stuff?

i wanna go pre-med or pre-dent but i dunoo where to volunteer and work to become more specialized... in that area

thxz

i believe that u'll get in...

and i liv in canada not taiwan...um...any organization??

i'm in the kids help phone student ambassador thing and skl interact club...access kenya or sumthing

thanks

Edited by keegan0321

wow

ur list is just impressive

makes me wonder

how can i get into any uni with my extra-carricular stuff...

can u teach me how to get involved with all those doctor related stuff?

i wanna go pre-med or pre-dent but i dunoo where to volunteer and work to become more specialized... in that area

thxz

i believe that u'll get in...

and i liv in canada not taiwan...um...any organization??

i'm in the kids help phone student ambassador thing and skl interact club...access kenya or sumthing

thanks

Well for me it was kinda working my way up to talk to doctors and stuff. Like i had to start off small in the early yrs of high school by volunteering at a city hospital then volunteering at one of Toronto's bigger hospitals. But like after like 2 yrs of experience and some work experience my local walk-in clinic had a sign for volunteers and co-op students. So like I wanted to see if they had like a job for students and fortunatley they had like a position available. But yea I got references from my hospital coordinater plus a few of my teachers when I applied.

But in general, I didnt really get there interacting with doctor's from hook ups. I kinda had met new people who'd provide me the oppurtunity like that. So yea hope this helped.