Citing research done in a different language?

mello

Hey guys,

I'm working on a global studies extended essay, and my research question looks at events in a specific country. I've found some research and studies I would like to use in my essay, but the problem is that its not in English, nor is it in an IB approved language (if that's a thing).

Am I still allowed to use it within my essay? It would really strengthen the examples in my essay because the number of studies done in english for this particular research question is not as many as I would like. But I feel that there may be issues in that the IBO wouldn't be able to review or validate the sources if its in a non-english language. 

Does anyone have any experience on this? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

I can't be sure because I don't have any experience with using an "unapproved IB language" but I did found sources in another language that I was familiar with. It's approved for second language for IB though... I added it as a real life situation or facts during my TOK Presentation. I think that gives you marks for making your own sentences and you won't have to burn your brain making a new sentence to look original but do remember to cite the source. I strongly suggest that you should discuss with your teacher about it, if it is possible it would be great to explain it for the IBO to understand what you have taken from your source. 

• Like 1

I can't be sure because I don't have any experience with using an "unapproved IB language" but I did found sources in another language that I was familiar with. It's approved for second language for IB though... I added it as a real life situation or facts during my TOK Presentation. I think that gives you marks for making your own sentences and you won't have to burn your brain making a new sentence to look original but do remember to cite the source. I strongly suggest that you should discuss with your teacher about it, if it is possible it would be great to explain it for the IBO to understand what you have taken from your source. 

Yeah, my only concern that its not an IB second language. I haven't been able to contact my teachers since we are all on break at the moment, which is why I ask here, but thank you, I appreciate your advice.

Hey guys,

I'm working on a global studies extended essay, and my research question looks at events in a specific country. I've found some research and studies I would like to use in my essay, but the problem is that its not in English, nor is it in an IB approved language (if that's a thing).

Am I still allowed to use it within my essay? It would really strengthen the examples in my essay because the number of studies done in english for this particular research question is not as many as I would like. But I feel that there may be issues in that the IBO wouldn't be able to review or validate the sources if its in a non-english language. 

Thanks in advance!

Yes, using sources in foreign languages is perfectly allowed. I have a friend who used a source in his native language, and still got an A. However, he said that he was extremely careful about it, and here were some of his advice:

- Translate the title of the source informally next to the original title whenever you cite/reference any materials from the source.

- When you extract quotes from the source to put into the main body of the essay, always translate them (in other words, the main body of the essay should be written in English entirely). If the quote is short, you can put the original quote in the footnotes. On the other hand, if the quote is long, it's fine to just mention in the footnotes that the quote was translated by you ("translated by author").

- Always provide appropriate excerpts of these sources in the appendix (only the excerpts that you've used). You don't have to translate these excerpts, just keep them in the original language. However, remember to have the title translated.

If any of those points are unclear, feel free to ask me. Good luck!

• Like 3

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

Yes, using sources in foreign languages is perfectly allowed. I have a friend who used a source in his native language, and still got an A. However, he said that he was extremely careful about it, and here were some of his advice:

- Translate the title of the source informally next to the original title whenever you cite/reference any materials from the source.

- When you extract quotes from the source to put into the main body of the essay, always translate them (in other words, the main body of the essay should be written in English entirely). If the quote is short, you can put the original quote in the footnotes. On the other hand, if the quote is long, it's fine to just mention in the footnotes that the quote was translated by you ("translated by author").

- Always provide appropriate excerpts of these sources in the appendix (only the excerpts that you've used). You don't have to translate these excerpts, just keep them in the original language. However, remember to have the title translated.

If any of those points are unclear, feel free to ask me. Good luck!

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you!