daalehh

Hi! 

I want to pursue a dual degree in Computer Science and Fine Arts and have my eyes set on the Brown University and RISD dual degree program. The problem is that I did not have the option of doing this course earlier and therefore took Math Studies because I thought "eh I'm gonna be a photographer why do I need math" 

But now it is too late to change my subject. 

My predicted for the final exams is a 7 on math and got a 710 on the SAT math section on my first attempt. 

I'm taking a gap year and and going to retake the SAT along with the Math subject test. 

Does my subject choice hinder my chance of getting into Brown? 

Any suggestions for gap year activities which might strengthen my application are welcome!  :D

P.s. I have a lot of extracurricular activities, if that helps. (Creative Editor of all the school publications, Director for Rotary Interact, Student head for Cultural Exchange programs, LGBTQ+ rights activist, Fluent in four languages)  

• Like 1

It shouldn't affect your application if you take AP and/or SATs to prove you're good at math. In the gap year, you can take part in any math competition or do a computer science related program, something like that. And keep up with your extracurriculars. Writing good essays can also help a lot!

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem except im in SL from HL and my counsellors told me it should be fine - just take the SAT subject tests for maths (preferable maths 2 because that's the level expected of an engineer/computer science major) and do remarkably well on your exams. 

• 4 weeks later...