University of waterloo

Sandy

Hi there! I want to go to waterloo and I had a few questions, you could say.. Firstly, is the campus as bad as they say? I've heard and read several things that aren't very good, just wanted to confirm.

Also, how hard is it to get in? I mean I know its competitive (I've applied for computer science) but what ib score do you think i need to get in? The website says 29, but I'm pretty sure a candidate with 30 wouldn't get in. I know the cutoff is pretty high (94% last year if I'm not wrong), but I don't know what it is for IB..any idea?

I'd really appreciate any help with this, I'm just so confused and I have no clue where I stand...

Well first off, it's recognized that the uni is having some issues with, erm, diversity among genders. But engineering and comp. sci programs definitely tend to attract more males than females. And Waterloo is definitely working on fixing that! I've heard from friends who applied that the cutoffs for girls are lower than those for guys (? it's not confirmed but this is what I've heard).

For Ontario students, we apply with our predicted converted - ie. a low level 7 in SL math = 97%, and thats basically what universities see. You should look more into the international section on the admissions page, as this will probably tell you what you need if you're applying from out-of-the country. From what I've heard, Waterloo tends to attract and admit a lo of international students, so from your profile I'm guessin you're in good shape :)

electronicinfo.ca is also a great site for university research in Ontario, I really recommend it!

Best of luck! :)