ITGS grades and IA.

usernamed

So I just found out that I got a 7 in my mock exam. I was super ecstatic until I found out that I got a 5 in my IA!

I honestly was expecting it because I didn't feel like I didn't do that well in my IA.

Like I struggled with it for a bit. And a 5 isn't bad if I'm fairly honest.

But.. I want to get a 7 in my finals.

How can I do that when I got a 5 in my IA?

Is there a way for me to still get a 7 in my finals or is it completely out of the picture ?

Side note: I also feel like I didn't do that great with any of my IAs, so I'm getting super worried about them bringing down my final grades right now.. /:

Edited by Nadsxo2

• 2 weeks later...

So I just found out that I got a 7 in my mock exam. I was super ecstatic until I found out that I got a 5 in my IA!

I honestly was expecting it because I didn't feel like I didn't do that well in my IA.

Like I struggled with it for a bit. And a 5 isn't bad if I'm fairly honest.

But.. I want to get a 7 in my finals.

How can I do that when I got a 5 in my IA?

Is there a way for me to still get a 7 in my finals or is it completely out of the picture ?

Side note: I also feel like I didn't do that great with any of my IAs, so I'm getting super worried about them bringing down my final grades right now.. /:

If you're taking ITGS at HL, then the IA is only 20% of your grade, so I think (I say think because I'm not sure) that if you get a high 7 in the exams, then you should be able to score a 7 (but again, I'm not sure). 

If you're taking it at SL, then the IA is 30% of your grade and I think that with a 7 in the exams, it will probably be a 6 (but again, I'm not sure). 

Plus, you never know if the moderator will give you a few more points (maybe even go to a high 5 or a low 6). 

But my advice is this: if you already finished and turned in all of your IAs (i.e. there is nothing you can do to change them), don't worry about them any longer. (I wish I could be finished already! I still have to finish 3)  Hell, everyone knows that those things take a long time, so don't invest even a minute longer worrying about them. And in general, IAs can't bring your grade down by a lot (and since you haven't terribly bummed them, at most you'll drop one number, at MOST).

So, since there's nothing you can do about the IAs you've turned in, focus on your exams and on studying and getting the exam grades you want! :) 

good luck! 

• Like 1

Your final grade is calculated from ONE bell curve from your weighted uncurved marks for all your IA and papers. For example if the weighted average including IA and papers is 75%. That typically falls to a 6. You could have gotten this like 90% ish on each paper and 50% on the IA

So theoretically, you can still get a 7. You need to calculate how high you must score on the papers to get a 7 as a final.

EDIT: It is thus useful to think of your individual marks not as out of 7 but as the actual mark out of 100.

Edited by kw0573