CHEM HL IA

BMH

hello guys

so basically all my classmates have their experiments done already and are starting with their lab reports and then there is me. 

I am literally freaking out. 

I was originally doing my experiment on effect on NaCO3 on the foaming capacity pf soap, but i felt like it was too simple to be an IA.

I have presented my teacher with many ideas but he would always come up with something wrong about it.

My previous chemistry teacher advised me to do something on enthalpies but i dont know how to relate it to a personal engagement.

Can anyone please suggest some strong HL topics im very desperate.

When's your IA due?
If there's less than a month or so then there's no point waiting to think of good topic, just go with something that is approved and do personal engagement stuff on non-designing stuff. Eg. personal engagement can be shown from follow-up experiments.

strong HL topics could include the effect of the particle size of antacids on the neutralization of the stomach's pH - so in our stomach HCL is secreted and when the environment (internal environemnt) becomes too acidic we take antacids to help us neutralize that low acidic pH. Anyway, you could test the effectiveneess of different powders with different sized- so a small podwer- big one and so on. You could google the size of one particle or one small tiny piece of antacid. Keep in mind that as the size increases the surface area decreases ( chapter 6 chemical kinetics), so the collins will decrease and the rate of reaction within a specific time interval (controlled variable) will be affected. This could be performed as a titration.

Hey, you still have time to change topic I suppose. If you don't get anything, you can look at the experiments in your textbook, especially in the HL part. If you don't get any ideas from the experiment, then there are samples available from which you can modify the topic and make it your own IA. If you want to do it on enthalpies, you can compare bond enthalpy values to enthalpy of combustion for any homologous series, for example.

You can even continue with this IA, I don't think its too simple. Make sure you use some concept of HL organic chemistry, and you're good to go! There is nothing such as 'HL topic'. You can do your IA on any topic. The IAs are not marked by your subject levels, the criteria is the same for both HL and SL. What they're looking for is how well you can fulfil the criteria, not which topic you use. So I think yours is good enough, but in the end its your choice. Good luck! And if you need help for how to choose topic, you can check out my blog or PM me, I'll help you if I can. :)