Importance of utilization, nature of science, and international mindedness?

Elc

Hello,

So after two years of procrastinating to write up science notes, I finally decided to read the syllabus guide.

Anyway, I've noted that understandings, applications, skills and guidance is definitely required, but what about the others?

Are those (NOS, UT, IM) just for additional information we can look up if we are interested in, or will questions from them specifically come out in the test?

My textbooks (for Chemistry and Biology) are the 2014 edition course companion, and for both, they are substantiate amount of information for utilization and nature of science. For chemistry, I am seriously considering skipping all those utilization parts because note writing for the shear amount of them is driving me insane. How important are they, anyway? Say, is there any chance I'll get a question on freeze drying of food (ut. in topic 1.1), x-ray crystallography (ut. in topic 1.2) or radioisotopes (ut. in topic 2.1) in my finals that are less than four months away?

Thank you in advance.

I'm not too sure about Chemistry because we don't really use the textbooks as much as we do in Biology. With that being said, the Biology specimen papers for our year definitely include the Nature of Science sections, so it'd be useful to study those for exams. However, I'm still not entirely sure about utilization. My suggestion would be to have an overview on them in case any multiple choice questions in Paper 1 involve them. As for international mindedness, I think that was made to make Biology applicable to real life situations, to help you in TOK, and to allow you an appreciation for the subject and its relevance. 

As for Chemistry, I know for a fact that radioisotopes are asked since they showed up on my mock exam. Again, I'm not too sure about all of the utilization parts. Consider asking your teacher or IB Coordinator to show you (or if they won't let you, let them see themselves and tell you what shows up on them) the specimen papers. 

Good luck with everything! Xx