4 HLs vs 3 HLs

krvenkat

Hi, I'm a 10th grader and next year be going into the IB world... (dead)

But anyways I was just wondering if colleges at all prefer 4 HLs and 2 SLs taken over 3 HLs and 3 SLs?

I wanna major in entrepreneurship and the classes I'm thinking about taking are:

HL math

HL physics

HL english (required for us because it's the only class offered of its group in my school)

HL comp sci

SL spanish --> SL economics in 12th grade

APUSH --> not really sure what SL class I should take to replace this in 12th grade (maybe a science)

Orchestra (11th and 12th grade)

I feel like this is a solid schedule for what I want to be and I do really like the HL subjects I chose, but do colleges like certain IB classes taken HL better? (I live in America btw - so top colleges like some state universities and ivy leagues are being considered)

Thanks!

*edit: Also, do US ivy leagues give credit for most IB courses? I've heard someone say that many schools give credit to AP physics C and not IB physics HL... but I'm not entirely sure.

Edited by krvenkat

Hi, I'm a 10th grader and next year be going into the IB world... (dead)

But anyways I was just wondering if colleges at all prefer 4 HLs and 2 SLs taken over 3 HLs and 3 SLs?

I wanna major in entrepreneurship and the classes I'm thinking about taking are:

HL math

HL physics

HL english (required for us because it's the only class offered of its group in my school)

HL comp sci

SL spanish --> SL economics in 12th grade

APUSH --> not really sure what SL class I should take to replace this in 12th grade (maybe a science)

Orchestra (11th and 12th grade)

I feel like this is a solid schedule for what I want to be and I do really like the HL subjects I chose, but do colleges like certain IB classes taken HL better? (I live in America btw - so top colleges like some state universities and ivy leagues are being considered)

Thanks!

*edit: Also, do US ivy leagues give credit for most IB courses? I've heard someone say that many schools give credit to AP physics C and not IB physics HL... but I'm not entirely sure.

U.S. schools are not super standard about what qualifies for credit and what doesn't. (6+ in HL is basically a guarantee). Each school has its own rules, some are easier to find than others. Ivy leagues are their own beast, with no surefire way to get in. Ivy leagues don't grant credit for any IB classes, they can grant you the ability to skip low level classes, however. That being said, IB looks better than regular classes. 

Personally, I've given up basing my college choice based IB benefits. U.S. schools care about so much more than just academics.

In terms of college application, it really depends since each college has different requirement. However, it's usually fine to just have 3 HL courses. 

In terms of surviving IB, I would recommend taking 3 HL courses, since getting 7 on SL looks better than 5 on HL. It is potentially risky to take 4 HL courses, not really because of the difficulty of the course but the time. I saw one of my classmate almost failed IB since his teachers messed up the schedule, and he had to study many contents from Chemistry (HL) and Physics (HL) by himself.

The gap between SL and HL courses is sometimes quite big, especially for the science courses. 

Possible choice is to apply for 4 HL courses for now, then drop one of them during the course. Since IB requires to take at least 3 HL courses, it's more "safe" for some people to take 4 HL courses. It should be way less stressful than the sudden switch from SL to HL. 

In terms of surviving IB, I would recommend taking 3 HL courses, since getting 7 on SL looks better than 5 on HL.

Actually getting 5 for HL is better than getting 7 for SL in certain subjects. For example: Math HL 5 vs Math SL 7. For accountancy course, Warwick University (UK) requires min of Math HL 5, in which it does not accept Math SL even though 7. This is because SL and HL shows the depth of the subject while the marks shows your understanding of it. As Math HL is intense, 5  is equal to Math SL 7 (some may say Math HL 4 is equal to Math SL 7). 

I do agree on other things you said.

• Like 1

In terms of surviving IB, I would recommend taking 3 HL courses, since getting 7 on SL looks better than 5 on HL.

Actually getting 5 for HL is better than getting 7 for SL in certain subjects. For example: Math HL 5 vs Math SL 7. For accountancy course, Warwick University (UK) requires min of Math HL 5, in which it does not accept Math SL even though 7. This is because SL and HL shows the depth of the subject while the marks shows your understanding of it. As Math HL is intense, 5  is equal to Math SL 7 (some may say Math HL 4 is equal to Math SL 7). 

I do agree on other things you said.

thanks for clarification! I also agree to that. 

I feel sorry to my ToK teacher for me making generalization  :rolleyes:

• Like 1